iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Braggin Abit!!

Started by Ole CB, February 15, 2010, 05:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole CB

I had never before started a project with K-dried rough cut lumber. I also had very little experience with Oak. I'll not add the pics of the unplaned 4/4 and 6/4.

These are before and after pictures of a small project I have pretty much completed the last 1.5 months.

SwampDonkey

Looks like your coming along quite well there. What will you be doing with the floors? Are they hardwood flooring that is down now? Refinish? Or new floor?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ole CB

Swamp Donkey.

She is having the 104 year old floor refinished by another contractor. The living room of this house was nearly destroyed by a fire last year. When they replaced the lathe and plaster on one of the walls there was a name and 1906 written inside. The floor is in reasonably good shape even tho. There are some huge gaps in it.

I had just contracted to make the base board, door and window trim to be as close as possible to the original woodwork. After I had finished that she asked me to build the bookcase and mantle, then the bench seat.

fishpharmer

Ole CB, you should brag.........looks good.  8)  Your happy and the owner is happy.  Awesome. 8)

Is the lumber some you produced yourself?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

Lookin real good, and thanks for posting the pics.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ole CB

fishpharmer,

Thank You!!

I do wish I had produced the lumber, all I have cut todate is very little walnut and she wanted Oak same as it was before. I bought the wood from a large local saw mill. It is the same outfit that bought the logs from my place.

We've kind of parked our toy mill for the winter.

Warbird

I am totally digging that window bench.  Nicely done!

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Brad_bb

Looks great.  Satisfying kind of work.  I had to reproduce some trim recently. Did you partially hollow the backside of your trim pieces?  I'm sure there's a formal name for it on trim, but I don't know it.  If you did do that, how did YOU do it?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

Might be referred to as "relieved".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ole CB

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 15, 2010, 11:32:58 PM
Looks great.  Satisfying kind of work.  I had to reproduce some trim recently. Did you partially hollow the backside of your trim pieces?  I'm sure there's a formal name for it on trim, but I don't know it.  If you did do that, how did YOU do it?

Brad,

No, I didn't have access to a molder. I did cut 4 kerfs into the back of the trim to help reduce any possible cupping. I think Benthere is right, it's called a relieved

Thanks all for your comments..  it means a lot more when someone with experience with wood likes it. My girl friend just keeps saying, "good hands!!"

Lud

Nothin'better than building with wood you've sawn!   Real nice job! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Brad_bb

Ah yes, relieved.  Was at a loss for words.  I thought it was more there to clear and uneven wall surface.  I have use a router, and the table saw with dado blade to relieve.  I was just trying to see if there was a better way without buying a molding machine.  It's takes awhile via my method, would rather be able to do it in one or two passes, rather than 4 or more.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Warbird

CB, in the very first picture, it looks like the finished wall stands out from the door frame by at least 1/2 of an inch.  I have that problem with most of the door in my house, due to firring in the walls.

How did you get the edge of the door frame flush with the finished wall so that the trim looks good like that?  I was thinking I will have to rip down a bunch of 1/2" strips of pine, tack them onto the door frame, then put the trim on.  Is that what you did?  Did you end up moving the door?  Something else?

Your work looks nice.  I wasn't kidding about that window bench.  We have a similar bench area that I am building trap doors into the top of, so we can use the storage space.  I was going to do some sort of tongue n' groove top but yours looks really nice!

Sparty

Great job!  I don't think my wife should see that, she would ask why our trim doesn't look that good.

Ole CB

WarBird,

Yes I did rip some 5/8" strips to fill in at the door. In this old house the walls are not straight vertically or on the horizontal.. I have found that if I cut back the sheetrock just inside where the edge of the trim is, I can keep the trim from canting out to much and get a good line on the wall edges. That will show at the head piece some.  Still it looks better than having from 1/8" to 3/4" rips cut with a skill saw. (I can make a drawing for you if you don't follow. Specially since that's clear as mud to me even). On that door alone, I cut 3 different rips and still had to cut the rock face off at the top and from 3' up on both sides.

Sparty...  U an SwampDonkey have been breathin to much... er swamp gas..  I am not, in either of your and most the rest of the forums league!!

Warbird

Um, yeah.  A drawing would be good, if'n you have the time.  I *think* I'm following you but am not sure.

Ole CB

Warbird,

See if this works for you.

Warbird

I cannot read any of the words.  Just to clarify, did you attach the 5/8" strips you'd ripped to the door jamb to fir it out even with the wall?  And then you attached the trim pieces on that?

Ole CB

WarBird,

Yes, I nailed the 5/8 to the jamb and placed the trim over that.

Warbird

Awesome.  I understand perfectly then.  Thank you!

Ole CB

For grins I'm adding a pic of a fire escape I built in 2006 for a 6 plex.  Before anyone says it is not according to codes..  You should see what was there before. I also have pics of that!!!  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!