iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1943 6x6

Started by NWwoodsman, February 15, 2010, 11:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWwoodsman

So just got a call from my dad, a local guy wants to get rid of his 1943 Army 6x6 with loading crane. He says it runs and best part it's free. 8) I already have a 1940's 6x6 dump truck, that is all there but pretty rough, also got this one for free. They're going to drive it down to the ranch on Tuesday, if all goes well. Anyone know anything about these? I guess it's a inline 6 gas but don't know much more about it. If it's in good enough shape I plan to use it for some logging and shingle block removeal on the ranch. Normal use our 66 ford backhoe for this, but this might get me into some place the hoe won't go. I'll post some pic's when I get home. Down here in Cali, setting bees for the almond pollunation.
Jason

pineywoods

Could be built by any one of several different manufacturers. Reo and Studebaker were probably the most common.Old timers always said the studebaker 6X6 was one of the best trucks ever built.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

indiaxman1

If it is a Studebaker, it is bulletproof...I got a 54...with the flathead 6.....easy to work on...changed out head/head gasket.brakes..rear end....its all mechanical...like I said perfect for a shadetree mechanic....keep us posted on progress (there are all kinds of parts available now online)...we sent so many Studes to Russia in WW II, Studebaker now translates as "truck" in Russian!

moonhill

Spring is springing, bees will be out and about here in a couple months. 8)

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

stonebroke

It is probably a gmc.

Stonebroke

shinnlinger

I say GMC also, but it could be a Chevy.  The GMC would be good as it probably has the 270 which is a solid motor that is surprisingly modern as opposed to a babit pounding bowtie.  I have a 52 GMC Dumptruck and am very impressed with it and our drivelines are near identical.  You will also be surprised at parts availability.

I would be even more excited about the crane/winch and anyways, you don't even have to go drag it off a fenceline so congrats!!!!

We want pics of both your rigs ASAP
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

cuznguido

I learned to drive on a stretched 43 Studebaker 6x6.  Kinda like to have one for nostalgia.  Probably couldn't steer it now, as i remember it being a handfull when I was young and full of vinegar.  It was a tough old truck for sure.  Pile logs on it as high as we could get em (loading the hard way) and go wobbling along at 20 mph flat out.

Ironwood

Cant wait for pics.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Mooseherder

We have a 1953 REO Deuce 6x6 that used to be a Navy/Forest Service/Fire Dept Tanker that was auctioned by a local Municipality.  It has a gas motor and runs great.  I had to have the brakes fixed and also the foot starter switch which actually turned out to be something else.  The rod that engages the starter had jumped out of linkage and was easily put back except for a little grime and dirt on my brother. ;D
Had to replace the batteries last summer but it started right up.  I have a Prentice loader I'd like to put on it but may change that idea.  I need to get some weight on the back. ;)

thumper

those make awesome loader trucks,, you can drag the logtruck in and push him out if you have too. is this 6x6 a dual rear wheel or singles on dual axles. sorrry if i dont know the correct terms.  there is a man up here who has a pile of these ex military trucks for sale. 5tons maybe..? cant wait too see it
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

pineywoods

Thumper, where is "up here"?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thumper

Quote from: pineywoods on February 15, 2010, 09:20:05 PM
aroostook county maine. loring aforce base used to be right next door.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

thumper

Quote from: pineywoods on February 15, 2010, 09:20:05 PM

hey ,that camp looks like it has a nice porch for playing some fiddle/guitar!

sjfarkas

NWwoodsman, are you near modesto or stockton setting hives?  I have 70+ acres of apples that need to be pollinated after the almonds are over. send me a message.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

shinnlinger

Thumper, did you go to Presque Isle High School(my wife did)???  Do you know Peter Parker and Aaron Sweetser???  She just came back from her reunion with some stories from "The county"

YOur up there is REALLY up there!
Shinnlinger

NWwoodsman

The rear tires are duals, but found some more info on the loader, it's not what I had hoped. Just a big winch in the front with pulleys and a jin pole. But I guess a good winch is worth something. It will be a few days before I can get some photos.
Jason

KyMasterLogger

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 15, 2010, 05:08:29 PM

is that rig a convertible? from the pic, it looks like the top is fabric. my dad and i were just talking this am about trying to find one of these trucks, throw a 5th wheel on it and use it to pull loaded trailers out to the blacktop with.

Mooseherder

Yes it's a Canvas Top.  I wish it was a hard top.
You can find these trucks pretty easily.  There are plenty out there and with some pretty good support groups.

thumper

shinnlinger,, i went to caribou high, presque isles neighbor. yup were sure up here! my family  lives even further north than i, were the blacktop ends. lol .   i never could understand why they built such beefy trucks with such a wimpy roof.  i painted a quite a few of those type trucks at the recon center (were they called dueces, duece and a halfs?)  but i dont remember many having steel roofs.

Ron Scott

They built a number of varieties of them both with steel and canvas or tarp roofs. Some with roof mounted 50 caliber gun mounts for defense.
~Ron

spencerhenry

could likely be a Diamond T. i had a 1944 diamond T that was issued to the ordinance department in 1945, it was a tandem dual 6x6 wrecker. had pto's front and rear, high, low and a 5 speed. flathead six that started and ran OK. the radiator on mine was crap, but the biggest problem was the water pump was mounted on the outside of the motor and was driven by a seperate shaft with a chain coupler to two gears. the water pump actually had no seal on the shaft of the impeller. i took it all apart, replaced the leather, greased it up good, but after a short time it was pouring water out of a weep hole in the bottom. plugged the weep hole and it held ok. crappy design for a water pump. manual steering on a truck that size makes it tough in tight uneven terrain. sold it on ebay for $400. had way more than that in it.

shinnlinger

www.MemphisEquipment.com  There is also a place in Philadelphia that deals with these trucks if you need parts or a whole truck.
Shinnlinger

Mooseherder

I think the 5 Ton and 2 1/2 ton Cab tops are interchangable.
It's a one size fits all design.  Steel Soldiers website has a lot of information.
You could get lost in there for months.

MikeON

Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

NWwoodsman

OK So got some updates on this truck, it's a International, and worked on it all today. The brake were froze up so used cutting torch and heated drums up and with a lot of pounding got all the wheels free. Need to start woking on getting it up and running as 12,000 lbs is to heavy and long for my trailer. Started soaking the clyinder heads with pentering all and need to charge up some batteries. My other 6x6 is a gmc. Hope to get pic. tommorw.

stonebroke

Sounds like you need a lot of Rust Reaper.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!