iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting a hickory tree

Started by MrMoo, October 07, 2003, 03:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoo

Hi Folks,
I got a couple hickory nuts from a tree near where I work and
I'd like to plant then and see if I can get a tree to grow. It maybe kind of crazy but I figure what the heck it can't hurt to try.

They have the hulls on them. I am not sure how to go about planting them.
Should they be started in the fall or should I wait until spring?
Can they be started indoors & be planted outside in the spring?
I am also not sure how deep to plant them or soil type.
If I should wait until spring how do I store them until then?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Tom

One of my "old-timers" told me, when I asked him about Black Walnut,  "When the nuts fall from the tree just walk around and step on them".  That plants them deep enough.

I don't know. :-/

I did see lots of Black Walnut trees coming up where he said he had done that.

He said it works for pecan and hickory and lots of nuts. :-/

(in our sandy soil a nut that has been stepped on will find itself at soil level, or half way buried at least.)

DanG

Hickory and Pecan are pretty close kin, so they should germinate similarly, I suppose.  Several years ago I buried a water line that passed under a pecan tree. A bunch of nuts got buried in the trench as they fell, and I had a nice row of seedlings in the spring. Squirrels bury them a couple inches deep and get a pretty good stand, also.
Maybe you should just toss'em in the ground and see what happens. It seems to depend more on the nut than the soil.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!