iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 foot wide x 6" thick x8' 6" long Pine slab

Started by Curly_Woods, October 07, 2003, 09:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curly_Woods

I just had a guy call me for a Pine slab that would measure 8' 6" long, 3' wide and 6" thick!  Does anyone have an animal like this available :-) ???

Greg

QuoteI just had a guy call me for a Pine slab that would measure 8' 6" long, 3' wide and 6" thick!  Does anyone have an animal like this available :-) ???

Actually, I do have a piece very close to those dimensions.

A large slab come out of a white pine milled into timbers. Going into the burn pile at the moment...

I''m in Ohio, though.
Greg

Curlywoods

*DanG the bad luck.....it would have been worth far more than a framing timber I promise you that!  Ohio is not too far for something like this Greg :-)  If you cut another one give me a call before you load it in the burn pile :-)
  I know that this will be a tough one to find, but this guy is willing to pay a fair price for a slab like this for his family room.  It will be a bartop.  The room has tall Pine trunks as supports and he wants a special piece for the bar top.  It would be a special log indeed to make a slab like this for sure.

All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Kevin

Greg, get out there and stomp it out.
We'll tell him it was hit by lightning and put the price up a few more bucks.  :D

Texas Ranger

We have several sawyers here in Texas that can cut one for you, Joey Lowe comes to mind, but he hasn't been on the board lately.  He's failry close to you.

There are a couple of sawyer types down here that could cut one, if they have the log to make it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Curly_Woods

Joey is recovering from some serious surgery.  I saw that he posted a note just the other day, but I spoke to him about a week ago and still was suffering pretty badly from having his chest split open.  He is a very lucky man to be with us according to what he told me.  I think a few prayers would be welcomed by Joey and his family.
  If any millers have 3'+ Pines available, I am interested in hearing from you :-)

ARKANSAWYER

I got this one but it is only about 26 inches wide and 3 inches thick but is 8'6".   When I get back off the road and get home next week I could probly make you one.   I got some big sticks.  Provided they let me take my stuff to Area 51.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

Its a nice drive to Arky's Curly_Woods but take yer life Jacket.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Never mind. I see you would be coming up from the south. Don't know if yull need it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RMay

???How can you cut 36 in. between your roller guides with a W.M. ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

ARKANSAWYER

I have talents not readly noted by others.  Besides since I have come up with the wobbling top theory of the universe I am no longer bound by the same physical laws as the rest of you guys and gals.   So I know no limits just size of sticks.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

RMay

Where theres a will , where is always a way  8) 8) 8) 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

solidwoods

Have you considered splitting a log down the center,,3" thick,, Dry Dry Dry,,then straightening one side and glue them together "bookmatched)  use ply for splines in the joint.

Now you could use 18" or 20" log.
Look at White Oak. The center can be bad on bigger ones but an 18-20" is prime to have a perfectly good center.  Also the best part is the center face of White Oak shows Quartersawn Flecks like you wouldn't believe.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

oldsaw

But I can't tell you.  If'n I did, I'd have to "off" ya.

Secrets must remain so.  Unless Arky blabs about what the aliens told him.  He isn't supposed to tell.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

ARKANSAWYER

A fellow named Solidwoods is telling you to scab several pieces together and use plywood to hold it together makes a man wonder about the name. ???   The universe is getting stranger everyday.   I think these little men that Jeff added look alot like aliens or is it just me. ??? :( >:(
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

How about a slab of English Walnut crotch wood that is 8' long and 3 1/2 " thick, kiln dryed?     I can also make you a slab of Sequoia that is 4' wide and the thickness you need aswell as length.    Buyt alas, Oregon is a far piece from where you are located.   You pay the freight and you hve one for $250. ;)
Frank Pender

solidwoods

It's Solidwoods.
Not One piece of wood. :D
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

dail_h

I got a piece of shagbark hickory that would make that blew down in the storm if that will work,and I can find someone to saw it for me. :(
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

I may have the log, but, it's 24' long. I can float it North to Tom's place and he can ship it from there  ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ARKANSAWYER

OK Jim I see my confusion on that one.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

JoeyLowe

Hey David:

I have a couple of those slabs and can cut some more at the end of the month (or at least my boys will).  Thanks for the good words Curly Woods!
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Bibbyman

That size stick would just make a good fly swatter down in Texas. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Joey, good to see ya postin. Heard you was under the weather. Hope the outlook is good.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

JoeyLowe

Hey fella:

Prognosis is good now that I'm away from the hospital.  Family told me to go have the gastric bypass surgery.  They told me I would feel better.  Doctors agreed.  Who am I to go against the flow.  So on 08/22, I checked myself in for surgery.  I was told that they would operate that morning (Friday) and I would be home by Monday and back to normal activity within two weeks.  Well, I woke up in ICU 25 days later.  Have an open wound extending from my left hip to my right shoulder.  Wound is 4 inches deep and 6 inches wide now.  Turns out that during the first (Yup, I said first) surgery, I developed another blood clot.  Then, my lower intestine started to die from where they had detached and then reattached it.  A week later they decided to open me up again and fix the lower intestine.  During that surgery, I aspirated and ended up asleep in ICU on a ventilator.  Family and surgeons were pretty skeptical about me surviving.  In fact, my wife had already contacted funeral homes and was making arrangements.  My waking up was a real shock for everyone, especially me, cause I didn't know what was going on.  Kind of scarey when the first thing you see is your wife, kids, mother and sisters and a preacher standing over you.  Anyway, the good Lord has decreed that I have unfinished business here so here I am.  By the way, I've lost 90 lbs. in 7 weeks.  Not hungry at all.  Would not recommend this surgery to anyone and in hindsight, I wish I had hired a dietician to prepare my meals instead of getting cut on.  

I'm very proud of my sons too.  They kept the sawmill business running and we are booked about 5 weeks out and things are looking good.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Kevin

That was a rough ride Joey, I'm glad you rode it out and are still with us.

Thank You Sponsors!