iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daffodils

Started by Magicman, February 10, 2010, 08:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I went over to the cabin today to cut a load of firewood for an elderly couple, and spied these daffodils smiling.  The site where the cabin is built was an old homeplace, and there are daffodils scattered about.  Anyway with the rotten weather, I was happy to see them...... :)

I couldn't stand much snow.  The roofs on the shop porch and deer skinning rack are 6" to 12' pitch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Paul_H

That is a welcome sight,thank you.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Onthesauk

Our place had an old homestead house on it at one time.  Every spring we still have a big clump of daffodils bloom, right next to where the front step was.  I've cut brush, mowed and graded the meadow but have managed to save the daffodils.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

Depending on our spring, how it comes along, I won't see them here until late April or mid May. Yup, there can be 4 weeks difference in start of planting time, depending on mother nature.  We're overdue for an early spring I think. ;D  It's amazing though, they start up before the snow is even melted off them.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Yep, saw them here at my house too today!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ErikC

No sign yet, but this place too was an old homestead. Actually an old summer place for help on a bigger ranch, a line shack for the irrigation tender. There are bulbs of various kinds that pop up here and there. The old buildings are all long gone,(I cleaned up the last of them) but the flowers remain.....  :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Norm

Thank you for that, it does help with the winter blues even though they are so far away. :)

The first flowers we see here are crocus'. It amazes me that they survive and can come up so early in the year.

Weekend_Sawyer

Ah, hope springs eternal in the human breast... and so on.

Mom loved daffodils, they are everywhere here.

Thanks
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

isawlogs

We've had it kinda easy this way so far this winter , then again it aint over til its over .  Those flowers sure do the trick this morning .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Banjo picker

That is one of the first signs of spring......another might be a couple fellows toting a heater into a pawn shop.... :D :D :D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I also saw a lot of deer rifles in the latest Market Bulletin.... >:(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

You missing one?  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Texas Ranger

Crocus and daffodils coming on in Texas, with freezing weather.  First real winter we have had in many a year.  Going to be a sloppy spring, ground water at the roots of the St. Augustine grass in my yard.  Gophers are wearing water wings, birds have a designated WSI watching them around the feeders, rubber boots the height of fashion, cows standing on the cattle guards to keep out of the water, oh well, just another spring in Texas. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ErikC

I see a few of the yellow crocus coming now. Purple will be next. They get snowed on here almost every year, but I guess they are pretty hardy, they always do fine and come back next year. I don't even see the daffodils at all yet.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

The crocuses used to be up in February in Prince Rupert, so I bet there are lots flowers up around Vancouver and Victoria by now. The skunk cabbage were usually up before April. Eaten after boiled to kill the sting, like they do for jack-in-the-pulpit. I think they are both Arums. Don't seem to bother the bears though. Important spring food for the starch.

chain

Quote from: Magicman on February 10, 2010, 08:36:46 PM
I went over to the cabin today to cut a load of firewood for an elderly couple, and spied these daffodils smiling.  The site where the cabin is built was an old homeplace, and there are daffodils scattered about.  Anyway with the rotten weather, I was happy to see them...... :)

I couldn't stand much snow.  The roofs on the shop porch and deer skinning rack are 6" to 12' pitch.
[/quote.....We moved in an old tenant house much like the one in your photo, we remodeled, added on. On the west and south sides there are daffodils beginning to bloom today. They come up as planted in a Christian cross. This old house raised a family of tenant farmers. They were African Americans, had five girls, one boy. From time to time the girls will visit and love to walk around their old home and talk about old times, like, where the pump-house set, and the outhouse, even the mule barn. I asked them about the flowers, they said their Dad planted them sometime in the late 1940's. I told them to never fear, as long as we had the place they would always be remembered as THEIR Easter flowers.

Magicman

The daffodils are now in full glory.  Plum, pear, and apple trees look like snow.  Spring is trying to break through.... :)

4genlgr

crocuses are up at my mom's in mid coast maine
sheltered inside SW facing corner but their up 8)

DirtForester

Very nice!  Have you been dividing them in the fall?
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

Magicman

Nope, that is just the way they have been scattered over the years.  I am careful in the Spring and early Summer not to cut the leaves off until they die.

SwampDonkey

The leaves are 4 or 5 inches long here on them. This weekend it's going to be very warm up here, like summer, and them babies will be blooming I suspect.  :)

SwampDonkey

Three more days of this summer heat, 70 here today, and my already budded daffodils will be out in bloom by Sunday. I ain't never seen them that early for a long time. This is only the 2nd of April. My tulips are up to, but no flower buds yet. Colts foot is in flower though. I never looked sharp enough, but "pinky and blue boy" should be out the same time as them daffodils.

Dana

They opened up at our home today. We have had upper seventies for temperature for a few days now. Unbelievable for the last of March and first few days of April.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Patty

We went for a Sunday drive and saw our first daffodils! Spring is here!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!