iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oakwood

Started by treeman, October 06, 2003, 08:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeman

How much is redoak worth in boardfeet?

chet

Treeman we would need a lot more specifics such as: green, air dried, kiln dried, grade, weather it is surfaced, required lengths and thicknesses, and even your location.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Greg

QuoteHow much is redoak worth in boardfeet?

If you can find someone to pay these kinds of prices, a 8 BF "lumber pack" of boards sells from the Woodcraft catalog for $44.99

!

Greg

treeman

I had 3 nice redoaks blown down by a windstorm in N.Western Pa. I would like to know how to figure out how many board ft.of lumber I have and how much a board ft. it is worth?The largest tree is very straight no nots has a stump diameter of 76inches and tapers to 50inches 35 ft. in length.The other 2 logs are also very straight both of these trees have a good 20ft.log roughly a 68inch to60inch taper on one log and the other 70inch to 56inch taper.I was offered 1000.00 to 1400.00 for these 3 logs .one logger said the largest log had veneer qualities.Can someone give me some advice and if a logger is giving me 1000.00 how much is his profit 50 50 or so? one last question whats a good finders fee percentage on a nice woods with alot of hardwoods such as redoak cherry maple also nice tulip popular and ash? whats a normal finders fee? thanks hope to get some answers.

Kevin

Quotehow to figure out how many board ft.of lumber I have

treeman;
Go to the tool box on the left, can't help with price.

mapleveneer

treeman:

My listings show PA prices to be $1400-$1900 per thousand bf for the top grades at the mills. Ranges down to about $300 per thousand with 3 clear faces and smaller diameter.  Your diameters sound an awful lot like circumferences.  You may need to divide by Pi.  If your logs are truly 76 in. diameter you probably are going to lose all chance of getting high grade prices because the log is just plain too big.

Call a local mill and request a spec sheet for the logs they are accepting.

Always expect to get a grade lower than what you are hoping for.

Thank You Sponsors!