iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill and woodlot magazine

Started by shinnlinger, February 09, 2010, 10:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,
THis is a shout out to one of our sponsors, Sawmill and woodlot management.  YOu should all read it, as it is quite informative.  The latest issue has 12 tips on sawing construction lumber that is succinct and very helpful with some interesting other perks to boot.

Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

backwoods sawyer

I have met Gene Wengert, and he has a lot of knowledgeable about wood and wood properties. I do however respectfully disagree with his math on #12. In theory, yes he is correct, but in practicality his numbers are off. None of the production mills in this area have been cutting at 1.72 for over 3 decades. There are only a handful that are even cutting at 1.64. The target has been 1.57 for 2 decades in the technologically advanced production mills where recovery is there focus. 
His numbers work for the type of operations that most of us have, and I would surmise that is what he is basing the numbers on.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sigidi

Bit of a bummer :( down here we don't tend to see it on the shelves
Always willing to help - Allan

DR Buck

Quote from: sigidi on February 10, 2010, 05:44:08 AM
Bit of a bummer :( down here we don't tend to see it on the shelves

To the best of my knowledge it's not an "on-the-shelf" magazine.   You need to subscribe.  Click on their link to the left.   Well worth the money for a subscription.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ErikC

I wish that the magazine had a regular column focused on western sawmills and forest management, but I enjoy every issue, and I think my subscription is still good for 2 years. I got a year, then let it drop but ended up renewing for 3 years after missing it.
Sigidi I'm sure you could have it mailed to Australia.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

ARKANSAWYER

The main story was about a western mill.  That Gal was making some slabs.  I would love to go saw with her for a week.  My beech pull out was in upside down.   ???  For the most part it is a very good Mag.  It has lots of pictures and good info.  I like the tree pull outs.
ARKANSAWYER

Tom

Magazines do that sometimes.  I had to quit taking National Geographic 'cause I couldn't read it.  They kept turning the whole magazine upside down. :-\

jeffreythree

Sigidi, they have a digital version that is a .pdf file you can read on you computer or print at home/work using adobe reader.  It is how I get it and I seem to remember it is cheaper than the print subsription.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

ARKANSAWYER

Tom you were getting the Australian version.   When I got to the beech pull out this month I thought I had been in the outhouse to long.
ARKANSAWYER

sigidi

You boys are so funny!

I'll be sure to look into the E version - thanks
Always willing to help - Allan

sdunston

WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

timberfaller390

I love the magazine. I especially like the column devoted to the small logger. They always have good info.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Jasperfield

The main thing I like about it is that it's industry-specific for small(er) operations and equipment. Most of the ads are closely related to the industry. Also when he reviews equipment the photographs are fairly detailed.

ErikC

I've noticed the current issue brought up on the forum several times, and I got it a few days later in the mail. Guess this is one of those issues... ::) I'll get up to speed in a day or two ;)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

ErikC

So I checked my mail today, and what do you know, there it is. Good issue too.

Thank You Sponsors!