iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost half my barn.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, February 09, 2010, 08:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

It's offical, We now have had more snowfall than has ever been recorded in this area.

I have quit shoveling and am now going to start and test my generator. Smarter than trying to dig out an already damaged structure.

Waa Hoo
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

stonebroke

Just remember it always melts in the spring.

Stonebroke

thecfarm

That's too bad.You guys have been getting hammered on.Even here in Maine a storm that size would just about stop us. Nobody has enough equipment or man power for that amount of snow in that amount of time.Good luck to you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 09, 2010, 06:32:48 PM

Your barn or your Farmall?  :D

Yes. Literally. 2nd owner 1949 C model...nah..just need to rebuild the gvernor and some misc seals..it's under cover waiting for me to retire so I can do some stuff like that and still have time to live...

Wish I had though of you..I was in Wallops a few weeks ago..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Weekend_Sawyer

Zopi, wish you would have! I travel alot but if I am home I always enjoy meeting a FF member.

Winds blowing 45mph, I just finished bringing up a double load of firewood and refilled the birdfeaders, there were 9 cardinals around it with about 30 other birds, they have been snarfing all my seed and stale bread and chips frantically!

I'm going having a quick cup of coco and then heading back down to test the gen.

Jon

OneWithWood

Hate it when that happens  :-\

Sorry to hear of your troubles.  When I built the barn housing the mill, kiln and other stuff I skimped a bit on the trusses thinking we never have much snow around here.  So far so good.

Be careful and get your brother to help when you start in on the repair.  It would be good to have another set of hands and eyes.  ;) 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Roxie

If you're getting what we're getting....the other half of your barn is at risk. 

Stay outta there till this is over.  We can find more tractors and stuff, we can't find another Weekend Sawyer. 
Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks Roxie and Robert,

I promise not to go near it alone.

I'm just watching the snow blow hopeing these high winds will blow more snow off than on!
And making pizza for lunch!

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

Waa hoo, My generator works! I expected it would but it hadn't been started in over 2 years. I pointed the exhaust out the garage door, primed the carb with a bit of chainsaw gas and in a rotten fuel smelling belch of black smoke it started right up. The wind blew the smoke right back into the garage of course.

Jon

stonebroke

Put your generator down wind as far away from your house as possible!!!! We had some newcomers start up their generator on their porch a few years ago, the ambulance squad said they were about ten more minutes away from being six foot under when they hauled them away to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is literally life and death.

Stonebroke

Weekend_Sawyer

Good advice, lots of stories in the news about people asphyxiating themselvs.

Jon

Wudman

Jon,

I've been down the same road myself.  I was living in a rental back in the late 90's.  I built a "modular" shop that I was going to move whenever I left.  It was 24 x32 and built in 4 sections and bolted together at the joints.  I had a 4/12 pitch on the roof as well.  Twenty two inches of wet snow did the same thing.  The rafter ties on it pulled apart.  I had a tie on every third rafter with a ridge board down the center.  I had them bolted together with 3/8 inch bolts.  For each failed joint, the bolts either pulled out or the ties split.  Wet snow is heavy. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Banjo picker

Sorry to hear of your problem...I would probably be in your shoes if we had that much snow...my trusses are on about 4 ft. centers....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

easymoney

the globol warming crowd are saying that globol warming is what is causing all this snow and cold weather.  :D :D

SwampDonkey

Maybe it's reversing gears. It's Global cooling like Suzuki preached back in the 70's. He's still on TV and I ain't watched his shows for 20 + years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy19

Living in heavy snow country one gets used to 2 things, either shoveling or using heat to melt off the roof. In all cases, a metal roof is a must. If you keep the heat on, like a wood barrel stove, the roof will slide even with a slight pitch. Another trick is to spread ashes onto the fresh snow after it quits and the sun will melt the snow in 1/2 the normal time. You had some luck in that the entire structure didn't come down. I had built a new house in McCall, Idaho and the first winter we god 4 feet of snow in December and my carport split down the middle and dislodged from the main house. I then shoveled the house and it took until the next summer to remove the remains of the carport and build another, stronger one.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

isawlogs

If making a fire to heat the roof to get the snow to slide off easier , you have a serious insulation issue . Get more insulation in there and it will be warmer inside during the cold period , and will be cooller during the warmer summer months .
  I think the snowload down south should be revised and upgraded , this snowing could be a new trend coming about. I aint complaning about it one bit, I like sharing ,  this snow sharing is fine with me.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Quote from: isawlogs on February 13, 2010, 03:59:26 PM

If making a fire to heat the roof to get the snow to slide off easier , you have a serious insulation issue .

I'll say, or else your just a about melted into a grease spot. :D :D

Asphalt shingles are used here on pretty much all new houses. Steel or aluminum is used mostly on old farm houses, barns and sheds. Built out in the open like most do around here, the wind blows the snow right off shingles. Sometimes you have to shovel, but I never seen many ever shoveled.

Like spring here Marcel, how about over your way? ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Its mild here , now mild is relative to what it should be . lower teens at night and today was hoovering at -10°C But it should be five /ten ° lower .. I aint going to bitch about it though , sure is nice to go outside with only a sweatshirt and light jacket . We have no snow to saye , maybe a foot or si , the fields are only covered with a dusting , there are drifts where there atr some shrubs . Might find a foot and a half in the bush at places the wind carried the snow .
Tomorow I might take the Bombardier out and get a tree or two, if I can make it up the hill ... Of course I need go through where the wind drops the most snow    ::) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

This month so far, upper teens to upper twenties F here at nights and in the upper 20's to thirties F in the day. Was 32F here today for a high and around that most of the month, give or take 5 degrees F. Snow goes packy in the afternoons and melts around buildings. Even January about the same except for about 5 days around 0 or -10 F. :D

Banjo picker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 13, 2010, 04:09:10 PM
Quote from: isawlogs on February 13, 2010, 03:59:26 PM

. Built out in the open like most do around here, the wind blows the snow right off shingles.

Like spring here Marcel, how about over your way? ;)

SD there seems to be a difference in our snow...we usually don't get the power stuff we get it wet and sticky...if we get any at all...it sticks to shingles like glue...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

isawlogs

You get that heavy snow , snowman quality , here , I get mostly dry and light snow, but we do get that sticky snow every once in a while and it will take limbs off the pine and helmlock and other evegreen trees . Thats ok , cause the deer by that time are ready for a good snack .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Banjo picker on February 13, 2010, 08:57:30 PM
SD there seems to be a difference in our snow...we usually don't get the power stuff we get it wet and sticky...if we get any at all...it sticks to shingles like glue...Tim

That's November, March and April snow. But it don't stick around long. ;D  Trees, like men, have to be tough in the north and roofs have to be strong for snow load 'cause insurance has exclusions. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!