iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost half my barn.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, February 09, 2010, 08:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

The rafter ties cut loose and the wall pushed out allowing half the roof to come down. the other half is resting on an interior wall that makes up part of an internal garage. We built the barn in the late 80's and did not use enough rafter ties.

In front is a 1947 Farmall super A and in back you can just make out the rear wheel of a 1944 Farmall M the rest is under snow and debris. Both have the sheet metal off for painting and don't look damaged.

I have to start by shoring up the exterior wall that was pushed out, try and remove some of the snow load on the good side of the roof then wait for snow to melt then start demoing the bad roof.

It could have been alot worse.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

ely

thats bad luck, looks like alot of snow.
reminds me when i built my porch back when i had a house. i used some scrap lumber and just threw it together, dad told me that wont hold 6 inches of snow. i ask him when was the last time we had any snow let alone 6 inches. just that very winter my porch looked like your shop. ::)

Raider Bill

Jon,

Hopefully the Roadking was not in there? blindsmiley
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Weekend_Sawyer

Ely, we live we learn. Usually the hard way.

Bill, I sold the Road King and I still miss it. I bought a new Street glide and it is in my basement awaiting temps over 35 and salt free roads.

stonebroke

Bad luck. We deal with snow loads every year. You might want to make a little steeper slope on your replacement roof. and engineer it for snow load. It all depends on what you are putting in it. Machinery you definitely don't want it to collapse, Hay and livestock you can cheat a little. Livestock will normally run out of a barn(if they can) when it starts to creak as it is starting to go down. Generally you do not lose too many. The feedlot I used to use had one go down( rotten trusses) and only had five out of eight hundred head got trapped. Also If you use metal roofing in a windy place a lot of snow will blow off,  This does not help you in a calm storm. The only real solution is to get up and shovel the roof.

Stonebroke

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 09, 2010, 08:51:08 AM

Ely, we live we learn. Usually the hard way.

Bill, I sold the Road King and I still miss it. I bought a new Street glide and it is in my basement awaiting temps over 35 and salt free roads.

Let me know how you like the glide saddle. I've heard they are a bit hard on the buttocks.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Warbird

Oh man.  That sucks.  This goes without saying but be real careful when you go to start shoring things up and moving things around.  It may be very unstable.  Glad it wasn't any worse.

Don K

Soory Jon. Hope you don't have any water damage later.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

asy

Wow, that's really awful...

The snow must be really heavy, do you have to allow much in the weight loading of the roof for the snow weight?

I hope it cleans up OK and isn't more damage than you currently see...

asy.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Magicman

:o   If we got 1/2 of what you got, half of the buildings here would collapse, including mine..  I have two sheds with one half to 12 roof pitches.  They would be knee high after that much snow..... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moonhill

How many inches of snow did you get? 

A metal roof with a 9/12 pitch roof will shed snow with just the weight of the snow itself.  I never see more than 6"-7" on my roof.  One of the advantages of a metal roof.   

I did help shovel off a friends camp roof in March after a long winter, it look very much like the pictures.

Tim 
This is a test, please stand by...

Weekend_Sawyer

We got between 30 and 36 inches. I beleive that had not happened since the 30's.

these 4/12 pitch roofs are easy to build, safer while building but I beleive I am going for a steeper pitch next time.

Bill, sending an IM on the seat situation.

Jon

Chuck White

Jon;  This could be an opportunity in disguise.
Get the roof debris out of the way and the walls squared up again and go up,
put in a storage loft then a steep roof on top of that.
You know the old saying, "you never have enough storage space"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ARKANSAWYER

I hate to say it but we are sending more snow your way.  We picked up another 8 inches yesterday and last night.  Plenty left in the storm when it left here.  Glad it was not the house.
ARKANSAWYER

ErikC

That's bad luck, but I guess you have a good attitude about all of it judging by your comments in the first post.
   I built all my roofs on even the little outbuildings at 6:12, with metal on them. No problem even with a lot of snow. They are not to bad to work up on, and the math is easy when you build. I have a friend who told me in our last storm the roof of his brothers car got smashed in, he spent a lot of time on the roof shoveling as they don't have a steep pitch, or metal on it. No thanks--they got 5 1/2 feet as his house.
   Warbird was right about working in there, be real careful....
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Weekend_Sawyer

I thank all of you for your well wishes.
I'm still shoveling out but they say there's another 10 to 15 inches headed our way!  :o

ibseeker

Sorry to hear about your barn, hope that all goes well with the next storm. Be careful when you finally are able to get in there to fix it. I like the idea about using this opportunity to add a second story for storage.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

zopi

Send the farmalls down and I will love on them until you get the barn fixed... :D

I'm hoping I can get mine remodeled before it falls over...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Weekend_Sawyer

Your barn or your Farmall?  :D

WDH

Tough luck, Jon.  That is an incredible amount of snow, and that has to wear on you.  Keep the faith.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brucer

Bummer  :(.

When you're not used to significant snowfalls, that light fluffy stuff can creep up on ya so easily ...

Snowfall reporting can be confusing. Basically they figure out how many inches (mm in Canada) of rain you'd get (or already got) if it wasn't frozen, and then they multiply by 10 to get the depth of snow. That's what you'd see if the snow was very light and dry.

Even the light snow adds up in a hurry -- 2" of dry snow works out to 1 pound per square foot on your roof. If you've got 1000 square feet of roof with 30" of dry snow on it, you're looking at 7.5 tons of snow sitting up there.

Rain will melt the snow, but before the rain melts it's way through and starts running off the roof, it's just adding to the weight.

When a roof lets go like that, it goes fast and you don't get any warning. Wood structures adjust themselves to redistribute the load. If they are loaded to the max, when a rafter or truss or tie breaks and stops carrying it's share, the next rafter gets grossly overloaded and fails. After that they go one by one. We had a garage fail in the subdivision nearby and it sounded like a machine gun going off as the rafter ties failed.

Metal roofs are great for shedding snow, but you've got to keep an eye on them to be sure there's nothing causing the snow to hang up. The garage that came down had a metal roof, but a couple of trees beside it had got big enough to keep the snow from sliding clear.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

I feel your pain over this. My dad had a loading shed collapse in January 1996. He kept his roofs cleaned off to. But, over a 12 hour period one night we got 2 feet of sopping wet snow on the roof and it caved. Had potatoes stored in there to, so work had to get underway to protect those potatoes. When he made a claim to insurance, found out the insurance was useless, didn't cover snow load. The very next year a lot of old run down sheds caved in around the country and the government covered their loss. Dad put in a claim from the year before and never got a a lick. A couple I knew were in real bad shape to begin with, but the owners where political back benchers so they got their money with no question. One of them old dives became a new home on the government dole.  :-X >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rick f

Swamp, do you know Neil and frank Lovely in centervill and Gordonville? They haul me straw in the fall.
Don't mean to change this thread.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

SwampDonkey

I know who Neil is and where his farm is, yup. He probably wouldn't know me because I haven't done much business with him other than cruising some of his land a few years ago. I guess we did do some thinning on the back of his farm in 2003 I think it was. The cruising part was for a logger. My uncle knew him well, around the same age.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!