2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

chucker

for large tracts ? skidder... for lot clearing 5 acres and smaller tractors work best!!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

thecfarm

Can't even compare the 2 in my eyes.I suppose you are talking a good size skidder?A tractor will not move no wheres near the wood a skidder can in a day.I have a tractor and it works great for me.BUT I am on my own land cutting.I don't have to make a living with it either.Takes more time to get around through my woods with my tractor than a skidder.Trails have to be laid out right,and kept free of brush.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

What is your definition of better? Faster? Move more/bigger wood? I do all of my logging with a tractor,grapple/winch and a forwarding trailer.

I can move between the trees better than a skidder. My roads are a lot tighter than a skidder road. I cut about 2 to 4 mbf a day and use about 10 gallons of diesel fuel a week.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

treefarmer87

is that a metavic trailer? i like that grapple/winch on your tractor too
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Mark K

Skidder is made to log. That is what it was designed for. I logged with a 85 hp Belarus for a couple years, done pretty good with it. My skidder is around the same horsepower and will skid 3 times as big a hitch and do it safely. I can crab around trees and turn shorter than I could with a tractor.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

bill m

My tractor is only 72 inches wide and I can put it places a skidder will never go with out cutting more trees.

Mark K

My skidder is 7'6" wide, has narrow rubber 16.9 -30, not much wider than your tractor and is narrower than the tractor I was using. He asked what is better for logging, a skidder is designed for it. You can put a dozer blade on the front of a trator too but it isn't a bulldozer. It doesn't matter what you use in the woods, it's the operator that decides the outcome of what the job is going to look like in the end.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Ed

Need more information..............you are being way to general with your question.

Ed

donny hochstetler

my opinion is it depends what the job is like around here if you go north you might find some terrain you could work with a tractor  but the problem you would run into is most of the trees would be to big for a tractor last week my bro. and i cut and skidded 25000 ft of poplar in a day and a half with a skidder we had a 100 mile drive one way if you drive that distance you have to move wood .if you go south from here it gets rough and a tractor would struggle on most jobs in fact anything smaller than a 640 is considered a small skidder in these parts  but on the other hand if its relativley flat with small to medium sized timber local work a tractor would be alright  a skidder is built for the woods  i personaly would be afraid to operate a tractor on a logging job also a good solid skidder can be had for about the same price just my opinion  remember always look up

Tom

Usually it is the other one.  :)

Ed_K

Both are best. I use the tractor to winch and bunch then go a get the skidder and pull the hitch to the landing. I can pull the smaller winch cable up a hill a lot easier than the skidder cable. There's not many large logs the tractor can't get to a skid road,but if i need it the 9 ton skidder can. I'm thinking of getting a fowarder but I'll keep the tractor in the woods with it too. If you use a tractor get it with forestry tires and build a bellypan for it.
Ed K

bill m

Yes a tractor can handle big wood.

This log is 12 ft. lg.  630 bd. ft.
As for price comparison my tractor was less than 30G brand new. How many new skidders are in that price range?
I'm not suggesting a tractor is better than a skidder in all cases  but a tractor can effectively be used for logging.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: bill m on February 10, 2010, 06:24:07 PM
Yes a tractor can handle big wood.
This log is 12 ft. lg.  630 bd. ft.

But a skidder will handle a few trees that big not just one 12' long log.

For a pure production stand point a skidder will outpull a tractor all day long. But a tractor is more versatile and can be used for more than just moving logs. They are also easier to transport, operate on small tracts of land, etc.   

Twig farmer

If your trying to make MONEY, then you want a skidder. If you want to play around in the woods as a hobby, then  a tractor is fine.
Saying you are "logging" with a tractor is misleading. You aren't logging, you're playing logger.
Now, a guy with 100 acres behind his farm can make due with a tractor just fine. But that isn't "logging" either.
Logging is about moving wood- lots of it- as fast and safe as possible. A skidder is just a minimum baseline...
C5D Twig Farmer, Deutz power, "Mona".
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Bull Strength and Ignorance.
Live FREE or die.

bill m

Twig farmer - Your right , I'm just playing logger. I also made enough money last winter to take most of the summer off. How many loggers do you know did that? As for small jobs the one I am on will cut over 250mbf this year and when the rest of the timber gets marked and cut it should finish at about 500 mbf,, but I guess thats a small job compared to what everyone else does.

Twig farmer

You're using a trailer with a log loader. Basically a forwarder. I meant just using a 4x4 farm tractor by itself...even with a farmi winch.
Not to mention that the wood you are cutting probably isn't 2 miles up on the side of a Mt., or on the other side of a 400' swamp hole..
Stop being so sensitive.
C5D Twig Farmer, Deutz power, "Mona".
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Bull Strength and Ignorance.
Live FREE or die.

tlandrum

skidder all the way, a jd440 it not much bigger than a tractor but will out work it 10-1 imho. the 440 will log 5 acres with ease, or 25 acres. like most guys i started out with a tractor and after my first skidder i never looked back.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

beenthere

Quote from: Twig farmer on February 10, 2010, 07:03:20 PM
If your trying to make MONEY, then you want a skidder. If you want to play around in the woods as a hobby, then  a tractor is fine.
Saying you are "logging" with a tractor is misleading. You aren't logging, you're playing logger.
Now, a guy with 100 acres behind his farm can make due with a tractor just fine. But that isn't "logging" either.
Logging is about moving wood- lots of it- as fast and safe as possible. A skidder is just a minimum baseline...

Is this coming up with THE official definition of "logging" ?   ::) ::)

;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bill m

I've run enough skidders in my lifetime to know I will never own another one. Yes ,you can move more wood with one - you have to to be able to afford the upkeep and fuel.  

donny hochstetler

Quote from: bill m on February 10, 2010, 08:14:05 PM
I've run enough skidders in my lifetime to know I will never own another one. Yes ,you can move more wood with one - you have to to be able to afford the upkeep and fuel.  

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

KyMasterLogger

something you may want to consider is nearly all new tractors have a fiberglass hood and a exhaust pipe sticking straight up through it just waiting to get knocked off and have to work the rest of the day with diesel fumes blowing in your face or stop and fix it. a tractor small enough to get through the woods, is probably not going to be an enclosed cab. limbs and small branchs will pop you in the face and smack your ear when its 10 degrees outside..and it could very well be the worst thing in the world when it happens (and its going to happen). if you manage to get a tractor with a cab, make sure it has bulletproof glass in it. a tractor will nearly turn around in its tracks when using one of the rear brakes. anyone who uses a tractor to skid with and has not blown out a tire is either the luckiest person in the world, or not skidding much wood. most tractor tires are 6-10 ply. my 1949 JD G has 3 ply on it.

a skidder hood will be made of steel. most all skidder exhaust are designed to not get knocked off. all skidders will have a somewhat inclosed cab. it may just be some wire mesh on 3 sides, but its better than a rollbar...and limbs will still smack you. if the skidder has a inclosed cab, there a slim chance of busting the glass out of it. the glass will get dirty, scratched up, its hard to clean and impossible to keep it clean. at times visibility is very poor. a skidder gets around the woods pretty dang good. forestry tires are tough..18-20 ply, theres not a tractor tire as tough as a forestry tire (that im aware of).

i have seen a 548-G JD skid 50 mbf in one day. it was a very short drag (the longest drag wasnt even 200 yards), started at daylight and didnt quit till dark. the operator was gettin with it! he didnt stop for lunch or to smoke any cigarettes.

ive done it with both machines. as previously stated the skidder will use more fuel but in the hands of a good operator, it will pull alot more wood out. IMHO, if your gonna log..you need a skidder. tractors are for farmers... :D

treefarmer87

sounds like you were doin some serious skiddin KyMasterLogger the guys i bought my equipment off of used a 548 g and i agree with u 100% "if your gonna log..you need a skidder. tractors are for farmers"
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

240b

you guys ought to start a ford vs. chevy thread

Ron Scott

Full time commercial production "loggers" here use skidders and forwarders. I've never had a commercial job done with a farm tractor. ;)
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!