iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making a Bombardier log skidder

Started by Sliver, August 03, 2009, 02:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonhill

Matt what is CL in Maine?  How does one fine the pictures and more info?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

sprucebunny

I think he means CraigsList, Tim .

Ironwood, This machine has a Chrysler Industrial 318 (5.2L) I don't know the HP.
Ya, tracks for the loader would be cool but probably won't happen soon.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Sliver

Nice find Ironwood. I like the "bush bars" on it ;). I was out on tuesday cutting and managed to drag out another half dozen trees 8) I know its not much but the little skidder worked great no probs so I didn't work too hard and just enjoyed the day. sorry all, I got some pics but forgot the camera in the skidder ::). The biggest one was about 18" hard maple with not much taper. I cut it into three peices and dragged it out all in one shot. This tree would have been two maybe three trips with the little tractor so I am really happy with the improvement. I know there are some concerns out there about the rig being tippy, but as with all machinery there are limits--so if in doubt I use the winch. Had about 50 feet out for one tree and only used about 1/4 of the spool. well thats all for now I will post the pics when I get them

Sliver

Oh Ya Copes,
where are you at? I'm Just north of Kingston Ontario and offer free test drives. They are six hours each and bring your saw! :D :D

GRANITEstateMP

Thanks for posting the link Ironwood, I'm not that computer savy.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ironwood

Good luck Matt, if we got more snow I would be headed up there to get it. Neat machines.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Sliver

I know everyone likes pics. so here are the ones from last tuesday. The first one shows the terrrain( not much but would wrap up a tractor). the next 3 are of the knock em down drag em out operation ;D

The tree in the pic is one of the smaller ones maybe 16" at the butt. It is taking me about half the time of when I was using the tractor. 8)

Copes

Thanks for posting the pics Silver.  My little tractor would never have been able to pull through that.  I have found a couple muskegs for sale but have settled on an old Alpine snowmobile for now.  They are suppose to be pretty hardy machines, no where near the pulling capacity the SW.  I will have to float any logs I cut out on skiis I would think.

Coon

Copes I think a skidding arch on skis would be what you need.  I will go out and takes some pics of mine.  I still got some welding to do on it this week to finish it up and put it to work.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Sliver

copes,  Is that the one with twin tracks? If it is I used one of them for a few years, and you will be pleasantly surprised by how much they will pull. Not really big loads but they will travel back and forth to the yarding area relatively quickly. We need Pictures smiley_smash. good luck

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pictures, Sliver !!

I'm glad it's working so well for you  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

Nice Silver.Like the bright new paint on the slides and chokers.Might want to paint the chains up this summer to find them easier on the ground.I'm cutting in a bog now.Tried to get to it all summer and fall,but the rain kept it full.I'm in there now getting my feet wet.Looks like I'm walking on snow,but then down I go into a hole.Try to get one foot out and the other goes down.Dropped a chain down one of those holes the other day.Half way up my arm the water was to find it.Just fire wood.I'm really just getting the dead stuff.It died out about 3 years ago.Not much grows there of any value,due to it being wet all the time.That Bombardier I could use in the bog.I have to stay on hard ground and pull the cable to the trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

captain_crunch

Now granted my minni skidder is not as classy as your set up but it is amazeing what this critter will pull

I have thought about building an arch with a winch for behind the old Trackster but at 900 dollars for a set of new rubber tracks I think it would not be cost efective ;D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

beenthere

I see where the mud comes from, that you mentioned earlier.

Enjoying the pics you are posting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4genlgr

heey Cptn Crunch is that an IH 6,9,or 14 in the background?

Sliver

captain_crunch,
that trackster is not only classy its a convertable too :D :D
What is in it for an engine?

captain_crunch

Was in middle of replying last nite untill wind blew out lights(wind got power line)
Old Trackster has Johnson 29 hp snowmobile motor(stock engine) awaiting 25hp Honda transplant. It is known as the Green Weenie around here or Dad's folly as the boys call it unless there is snow and they want to play then it is cool machine ::) ::)
4genler
That be a TD-14A aka Thirsty. It and mill are a tribute to past in 1949 there was a pony mill setting where our Bellsaw sets and my Father skidded logs to it with a TD-14 so guess my opperation is more of a nostalga thing than profit makeing but so far I can not saw lumber to keep up with demand of our 130 acre Ranch. Don't know which we will run out of first Trees.Projects or Nails ::)

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

quiwig

i'm in meaford ontario have two muskegs one tractor and one carrier the carrier is rough but the tractor i use 3 times a week i love this machine even if i don't pack the snow it usually floats over whatever loaded or not

quiwig

what is the best pump for a winch would you go pto or something belted

captain_crunch

Pto would be better than belt but either needs to be live off engine so you have winch power anytine engine is running

quiwig

thanks captain there is a bomber dealer we buy our snow cats from down the rd going to see how much an oem one is for a laugh

Ford_man

I just found a Bombadier that is going to be sold at auction on March 27 2010. It has a V blade and is powered by a Chry 6 cyl , has rubber tracks. It is being sold at the whitly Co. fair grounds in Columbia City, In Auctioneer"s ph 260-723-4378
I thought I would post this if anybody is interested. Have fun bidding.

Thank You Sponsors!