iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workshop idea

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 08, 2010, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesamd

Hey there Jim ;D
nine days till the event, I'm really pumped !

I know You are the MAN, to contact for unusual tools but I have a link to some very special mortising chisels.
The toughest and best preforming I haver seen. I'm aware that many are sold out but if You would like Us to bring one  to You when We come to the workshop.
Let Me know!

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=MS-MORT.XX&Category_Code=TBMC

Only about 20 Min. from My home. I will bring with Me the 3/8" one I own.
So You can wait until You use one before Ya spend all that cash on them.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Jim_Rogers

Jim:
You can bring the one you have, but don't buy one for me.
For timber framing those are kind of small.

Things are moving right along.

The port-a-potty is here....... very important.
Tent will be here on Thursday, morning, set up Thursday late afternoon.

Making up some more saw horses, yesterday so that everyone will have their own work station.

I've made arrangements to go and see a sawmill barn I constructed. We may go there on Sunday morning early so that we don't disturb my neighbors here at the sawmill yard, in case they are sleeping late. And I may try and see if we can visit another frame site a short distance away from that sawmill/barn.

Lots of timbers made and making more every day.

Thanks for the offer on the chisel....

See you next weekend.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

It is my understanding that the "pigsticker" type mortise chisels were used by first making a hole in one end of the mortise, probably with a shell type auger, then a slot was made down the middle of the mortise using the hole as a relief for the wood to go to. Then the sides of the mortise would be pared with either chisel or slick. I have a 3/4" mortise chisel of that style. Haven't used it for that yet. The narrower ones were most likely used for furniture and window sash making.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

Don't forget to take some pictures for us to see  ;D
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Stephen1

I'll make sure to bring my camera and my FF hat, didn't happen if there are no pics. It should be a good trip, I didn't realize how close to Boston and the coast Jim is.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

Well we're about to start our next (could be last) day of our workshop here at my sawmill yard.

I have a few photos of the yard, timbers, work stations and tent we have setup for everyone to enjoy.

I will try and take some more pictures today, and get copies of photos that others have taken so that I can post them here for you all to see, as I know you all love photos.

Here is a shot of some of the timbers:

In the background is some of the 2" decking and other 1" boards of the client's.

Here is a shot of tent, with work stations setup, in the background is the sawmill, with a sample log that was cut to make a 8x8 timber as the students watched:

Here is another view of the tent area with the most important spot the cooler full of iced spring water. We had some nice weather so far, and we've been luck with that.

Here is a shot of the tool table with some of my tools that we were using during this workshop:

Here is my client using my boring machine hard at work boring out the first mortise:

She had quite a time boring through a big knot......

More later.....

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

At the end of the last day, we put together all the timbers we had done.

Most of the floor system was completed, and enough timbers were done to assemble a bent and raise it.

Here is a shot of the crew, with yours truly at the end, with my straw timber framing hat on.

We all had a create time together.

Jim Rogers

PS. more photos in my gallery of workshop photos.
And hopefully some of the participants will forward some photos to me that I can share with you, as well.

Brad_bb

Thanks Jim.  I'm sure it was a good time.  I hope your weather wasn't as hot and muggy as it was here.  The humidity finally broke here and we got nice weather yesterday and it's supposed to last.  It's great you got the buyers involved.  They'll have much more appreciation for it after doing some of the work.

Jim_Rogers

The weather was mostly ok, sunny days, no rain, not too humid. Sunday was kind of cloudy but overall ok.

We may have a raising weekend event when the frame is done.

Jim Rogers

jamesamd

I'll do My best to be there and drag My son along too. ;D

RonS

If it not the first or second week of November I will try to be there too.

Ron S

Brad_bb

The first Tuesday of November, we all will be busy with one very important job, right?!

Piston

Looks great Jim, wish I could have been there.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Stephen1

It rained all day here so I was able to post some of the pics from the Workshop

tent with all of us working out of the sun, nice touch Jim! great to be out of the sun.

James amd cutting the end of a tenon, notice the FF hat on.

JR imparting some of his knowledge on Austin, Austin really enjoyed the workshop.

RonS from the FF, hard to tell since he didn't have a FF hat on.

Mother and daughter checking out the drill press (boring machine).
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jamesamd

Some of the shots I took!

Jim teaching.

Jim & RonS.

Busy students.

My son,lending a hand.

Bashful Stephen1.

Puting the pieces togeather.

Bent raised.

Topped!

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for posting those......

Thank You Sponsors!