iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workshop idea

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 08, 2010, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

A client has asked me to cut out some logs of hers for a 12x16' shed. And she's interested in having it be a timber frame.

I offered the idea of a workshop for cutting the joints to her. She would like to do that as well.

We'd hold it here at my sawmill yard, as of right now, and we'd do it in August when she has the time to spend it here with us learning to cut joints.

It would either be a 5 day workshop or a 3 day weekend workshop, starting something like Friday, Saturday, Sunday. And if it was a 5 day it may go over to Monday and Tuesday.

This would not be a free workshop, the fee would be paid to me to teach you how to cut joints.
Each student could pay for the number of days they would attend, at the rate of $100 per day.

If anyone is interested in coming to this workshop please post or send me an email.
There are local motels and camp grounds not far from here. Or you could/maybe camp at the sawmill yard. You'd have to pay for all meals or brown bag it, at yard. I'm not exactly sure how we'd do that, at this time.

Class size would be limited to 8 students, 10 at the most.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Captain

Hi Jim, I'm in.

Thanks

Captain

Jim_Rogers

Ok, Captain, I'll put you down as being on board.

When I have more exact details I'll let you know.

In the meantime you should purchase the book written by Jack Sobon "Timber Frame Construction" or "How to build a Classic Timber Framed House". These two books are what we'll be using as a class text book, and it is usually required that the "students" read these before showing up so that they have an understanding of the terms and words I'll be using during my demonstrations of how to layout and cut all the different sized mortise and tenon joints.

We will also be doing at least two curved braces for the middle bent, both cut from one log so that they will be book-matched pieces, similar to this:

More later as it develops .....

Piston

Hey Jim,
Let me know when you have specific dates in mind and if I'm not at sea I'll be there. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jim_Rogers

Well, the actual dates are kind of still un-decided.

We were thinking that it maybe helpful to the students if we did a Friday, Saturday, Sunday type of thing for the three day course and for those who wanted to do more, continue into Monday and Tuesday. So that would be starting on Friday 8/13/10. But as I have mentioned it isn't totally locked in. We could start 8/9 or 8/10 and go 5 days in a row.

As of right now I have two who have said they were willing to come, so that leaves 6 seats open. And I have you down as a maybe.

If anyone wanted to do this and couldn't start on the first day, an hour or so can be set aside to review the basics each morning, so that anyone who is starting new that day, can get this info. Everyone can listen again or if they don't want to they can start cutting joints.

The way these workshop work is that there will be demonstrations of how to layout and cut a joint show to all as a group. Then each student will be assigned a timber to work on. That student will cut all the joints on that timber. And when it's complete another timber will be assigned. There will be chances to cut all joints by everyone so that every type of joint in this structure has be learned by everyone.

This workshop has a two fold reason to be held, one is to learn how to layout and cut joints, and the other is to complete the structure. If the structure isn't completed by the end of the course, then we'll raise what parts we have done so that everyone can see the basics of raising.

Further weekend only workshops may be scheduled after the main workshop, depending on the interest and how much actually gets done.

More details as they become available in the future.

Thanks for your interest.

Jim Rogers

jamesamd

Jim,please include My Son and Myself as coming for Friday thru Sunday.

Jim 8)
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Jim_Rogers

Thanks, I'll put you down for two for the weekend.
We're currently at four, the more the merrier.....

RonS

Jim,
    Please put me down for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Thanks.
RonS

Jim_Rogers

RonS:
You are number five, thanks, more info to follow later on....

Jim

Two-Lady-Sawyers

Jim,
Can you provide the ISBN numbers for both of the books you have listed. I have looked for them by title but find no exact matches. My partner & I are going to put up some timber frames on our place starting with our mill shed. We as also looking for a workshop to attend here in central Wisconsin. Any assistance you can provide is warmly welcomed.
Jillian
Politically incorrect (LH feed) Foley-Belsaw M14 W/mods, Ford Ranger 4cyl 4sp power plant, Oliver Super 88RC, 93 Ford F150 4x4, Echo CS530, Echo CS306, Half finished log arch

Dave Shepard

Timber Frame Construction: ISBN 0-88266-365-8
Build a Classic Timber Framed House: ISBN 0-88266-841-2
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Two-Lady-Sawyers

Thank you Dave, I have ordered the books.  :P
Politically incorrect (LH feed) Foley-Belsaw M14 W/mods, Ford Ranger 4cyl 4sp power plant, Oliver Super 88RC, 93 Ford F150 4x4, Echo CS530, Echo CS306, Half finished log arch

Jim_Rogers

Thanks  Dave.

Also, there are workshops in your general area, I'll have to find the list or links and post it here, under a new heading.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on March 01, 2010, 09:48:31 AM
Thanks  Dave.

Also, there are workshops in your general area, I'll have to find the list or links and post it here, under a new heading.

Jim Rogers

Two-Lady-Sawyers

They were in MN and they were last month....sorry, I'll look for others......

Two-Lady-Sawyers

Ok Thanks, I used to help my dad woodworking shop and learned how to make most of the jointery only on a smaller scale. We will still give a go at a shed sometime this summer. Going tool (toy :D) shopping next week.
Jillian

Jeb

Jim,

I'm interested in doing the 5 day version. Please send me more details.  Thanks  --Jeb

Jim_Rogers

Jeb:
I have sent you some information by regular email.
Jim

Captain

Hey Jim, How are we doing on nailing down dates?   smiley_smash  You know how my schedule works.....

Captain

Jim_Rogers

I'll let you know very shortly.....

Stephen1

Jim... I am very interested in coming to your workshop... Depending on the date of course.
Stephen1
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Raphael

How were you planning on laying out the joinery for the curved braces?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Jim_Rogers

Raphael:
The short answer is "pretend they are straight"....

I thought I wrote a story about how to layout a brace on a curved piece of stock.....I'll search the forum and see if I can find it and move it to the top.....

Bumped to the top thread called...."cross brace/knee brace question"....

Raphael

Yeah, they're more than flat enough to do that, I did the same sort of thing with the central tie beam in the office (it's a bit of a snake).  I stretched mason twine down it to give me a datum line to work from.
  I asked because I've got a virgin set of bubble scribes I need to put to use before I forget how to use them.  :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Jim_Rogers

Guys,
We're looking at the second weekend in August as starting on Friday the 13th, a lucky day, and then Saturday the 14, Sunday the 15th, and for those who want to do more, Monday the 16th, and Tuesday the 17th.

If you can't make it the first day, then a general review will be done on Saturday morning.

I hope this time period will work for everyone.

Thanks.

Jim Rogers

submarinesailor

Jim,

I was thinking about attending (waiting to tell you until the dates were set), but I have to be in Dallas the 15th -18th for the BIG government energy show:  http://www.govenergy.com/.

Sorry

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!