iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blades

Started by SDM, February 08, 2010, 09:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDM

its time to reorder blades for my lt40. I've only used standard wm dbl hard so far. I mainly cut pine , but also cut fair amount of oak.....is there a better blade for the pine? I know there's a better blade for the oak. I've been told to go to a 4* for oak. Any suggestions will help this eager but dumb sawyer wanta be.....Thanks

Tom

A good rule of thumb is "the softer the wood, the more aggressive the blade."

You are in the unenviable position of sawing Southern Yellow Pine.  Long Leaf isn't too bad, but slash and Loblolly can be difficult. 

I always had good luck with a  10 degree/21 thou. set  band.  Some like the  set to be more.  If you get into really hard knots, some will say less.  But, the blade above has always been considered a good "do-it-all" and I found it worked just fine.   When I would sharpen mine, I would usually grind the tooth to 13 degree hook, mostly for speed, but kept the 21 thou. set.

I can't speak for the double hards. I never used them.  Others speak highly of them though.

ladylake

Red oak saws easy, same blade as pine. White oak, burr oak, white ash is tough, I like 4* for those.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ARKANSAWYER

If you are in big knotty pine and large oak logs you will find the 7 degree blades do a fine job.  But if you are like me and saw just about everything then the 10 degree blade is a good deal.  I saw everything from small eastern red cedar to large hickories and SYP with the 10 degree blades.  Keeps my inventory simple.
  The 4 degree blades are fine in very hard woods or frozen logs.  The 13 degree blades really fly in SYP if the knots are less then 3 inches.
ARKANSAWYER

Magicman

My sawing is probably 60%-75% SYP, with various oaks, cypress, and cedar thrown in.  10o blades serve me well.  I recently had to cut a large Beech and sometimes get a Hickory, but that is not enough to stock additional blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I use the Wood-Mizer "Double-Hard" .045 10°, set to .022,exclusively.
The only thing I've found is, in hardwoods I have to slow the feed down a little
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodmills1

with my 40 it was all 10 degree, with the 70 it likes the 7's
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bugdust

SDM,
My theory is. "If it aint broke don't try to fix it", and that just how I feel about Woodmizer blades. I haven't honestly compared apples to apples, but these blades do a mighty fine job. One thing I did learn is the 7 degree walkes through white oak where the larger degree won't. I try to keep an assortment on hand and change accordingly. Woodmizer's replacement plan works well too, always insuring you have a complete order of either re-sharps or new replacements. I send my blades to to Marty in PA or to the main shop in KY. Good luck!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

SDM

Thanks, for all the input......I like the keep it simple part of this. I'm gonna stay w\ 10* blades but try the non dbl hard blades this time. I'll let you guys know if I find anything worth mentioning .... again Thanks

Magicman

bugdust.....Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  What mill do you have?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

This is the blades I run;

Always willing to help - Allan

ladylake

Quote from: sigidi on February 08, 2010, 09:27:32 PM
This is the blades I run;

Show us the side view.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bugdust

Quote from: Magicman on February 08, 2010, 08:41:54 PM
bugdust.....Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  What mill do you have?
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

bugdust

Hey Magicman,
Thanks for the hello ... I'm running a Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic. Problem is my job gets in the way with my milling. I'm counting down days until retirement and plan to open full/part time with sawing, drying, planing and moulding. I've got lots of timber to keep me busy on 135 acres of hard and soft wood (65 year growth) to cut. Breaks my heart to have the farm timbered, so I'll cut as needed and leave remaining for my son and grandsons. I've got most of my materials for a solar kiln and framing cut for the mill shed. I've even gone as far as setting up advertisement on Wood Web under Woodmount Custom Sawing. Look forward to making chit chat with you guys. Have a blessed day!

Magicman

It's bad when what you gotta do interferes with what you wanta do.... ;D

You've got a good plan.....Follow through, and you'll enjoy your "retirement".  Which, by the way, means that you won't have a job, won't have time to do anything, won't get a paycheck, and will enjoy every minute of it !!!

ARKANSAWYER

I will never have to retire from my job.  Some day I will just not show up for supper and they will find me dead out here in the mill yard somewhere.  I could only think of one other way I would want to go and this is a family site.   ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Magicman

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on February 09, 2010, 12:01:05 PM
I will never have to retire from my job.

I don't blame you.  If my "second" career had been my "first" then I wouldn't have retired either.... ;D

logwalker

A good time to dust off the old platitude...

Find a job you like and you will never work another day in your life.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Magicman

Quote from: logwalker on February 10, 2010, 09:58:12 AM
Find a job you like and you will never work another day in your life.

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!