iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log splitter followed me home

Started by Magicman, February 06, 2010, 08:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

It's toward the end of our "wood selling" season, so the guy at the Rent All store was ready to sell a splitter.  It had been rented out for 21 days and I got it for 1/2 of what a new one would have cost me.  We now have 3 families to cut wood for, so we felt that a splitter would be nice.

I'm ready to start getting my wood out for next Winter.  I hauled it over to the Cabin this afternoon and cut some blocks off of a downed Red Oak.  I just had to try it out.  It's a 27 ton Troy Bilt unit with a 6.5 Honda engine.

It followed me home

My first stick to split

I had fun
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Onthesauk

Good price!

I've split by hand for 20 plus years but finally this last couple of years had the neighbor come up with his splitter to help me split.  What a difference!  I'm getting old enough that it isn't just my back but also my hands and legs the following morning. 

Always had good luck with Troy Built.

If you get caught up I've got a couple of cords of rounds on the ground right now. ;D
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

TimRB

That's a good catch!  With only 21 days use, it's only just now getting broken in.

If you wouldn't mind taking another picture, I would be interested in seeing how they attached the cylinder to the I-beam.  On my splitter, also a Troy-Bilt, the beam runs the whole length of the splitter, including the length of the cylinder, so the cylinder attaches to the I-beam at the very end.  Your splitter's design saves a lot of weight and also the cost of several feet of I-beam.

Also, is it just me, or is the cylinder not parallel with the beam?

Tim

Rocky_Ranger

Sweet!  Wish I could ever find deals like that...........
RETIRED!

woodmills1

Yes troy bilt is a good name, but it's not now what you think.  It is a marketing arm of briggs and stratton.

Here is a small section of the standards and poors description of Briggs and stratton

Briggs & Stratton�s Power Products segment offers various power products, including portable and standby generators, pressure washers, air compressors, snow throwers, and lawn and garden powered equipment. This segment sells its power products under Briggs & Stratton, Brute, Craftsman, Ferris, Giant Vac, John Deere, Murray, Simplicity, Snapper, and Troy-Bilt brands through various channels of retail distribution, such as consumer home centers, warehouse clubs, mass merchants, and independent dealers.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

Quote from: TimRB on February 06, 2010, 08:54:27 PM
I would be interested in seeing how they attached the cylinder to the I-beam.......Also, is it just me, or is the cylinder not parallel with the beam?   Tim

There's a large pin that attaches the cylinder to the I beam, but it's a "flexible" connection.  Also, the wedge sorta wraps around the I beam.  As you can tell by the cylinder, there is slack and it can be lifted probably a couple of inches.  I think that it was designed to move on purpose.  It would have been very easy to bolt it on solid.

The engine speed never changed a bit splitting that wood.  That thing has power.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

saltydog

i bought the same splitter 1 year ago at menards its a mtd brand it now has at least 250 cords under its belt you should be happy with it its now the wifes splitter im upgrading  i need a third splitter looking to build one to my own needs (fast) !
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Magicman

Quote from: saltydog on February 07, 2010, 07:25:10 AM
i bought the same splitter 1 year ago at menards its a mtd brand it now has at least 250 cords under its belt

Wow, you've been keeping it busy.  Mine probably won't split that much.......ever.... splitwood_smiley

stonebroke

Quote from: woodmills1 on February 06, 2010, 09:46:25 PM
Yes troy bilt is a good name, but it's not now what you think.  It is a marketing arm of briggs and stratton.

Here is a small section of the standards and poors description of Briggs and stratton

Briggs & Stratton�s Power Products segment offers various power products, including portable and standby generators, pressure washers, air compressors, snow throwers, and lawn and garden powered equipment. This segment sells its power products under Briggs & Stratton, Brute, Craftsman, Ferris, Giant Vac, John Deere, Murray, Simplicity, Snapper, and Troy-Bilt brands through various channels of retail distribution, such as consumer home centers, warehouse clubs, mass merchants, and independent dealers.

I think MTD bought troybilt about ten years ago

Stonebroke

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pineywoods

I have it's twin, only mine says "Yardman". Close out at Home Depot. Most all of them are built by MTD, which I understand is now owned by Briggs and Stratton. Looks to me like the splitting wedge is probably the weak link, it's cast steel. Probably wouldn't be hard to replace with a forged wedge if it ever breaks. This was it's second season, so far no problems. I use it in the upright position, some of the stuff I split is too large for this tired ole bod to lift.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Twig farmer

Fine homeowner machine.
I had one (MTD 31 ton) and was about to send it to the metal shop for a modification that would put the splitting wedge on the end of the I beam and the pusher plate on the piston....so it would accept a 4-way and be a conventional horizontal..
In all my years I have seen a horizontal / vertical machine used in the vert. position maybe 3 times...not enough reason for me to have kept it stock...a 4 way increases production 3 times over...
But I ended up with a nice little conventional horizontal and sold that MTD.
C5D Twig Farmer, Deutz power, "Mona".
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Bull Strength and Ignorance.
Live FREE or die.

Magicman

The MTD and Yardman sold here at Wally and Home D, are 21 ton units with a B & S engine.  This Troy Bilt is 27 tons with a 6.5 Honda engine.  I think that the only difference is the engine.

Don K

Nice catch, Magicman. 8) 8) I would like to find a good one at areduced price.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Maine372

sorry to go off topic but.....

what is the ornage and white steel box in that pictures. looks like somthing stihl made or marketed. is it a chainsaw case?

Radar67

Looks very similar to the 12 ton unit I got in the fall for almost 70% off. It does a fine job of splitting. A little Marvel Mystery oil goes a long way with frozen pistons.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Magicman

Quote from: Maine372 on February 07, 2010, 07:12:29 PM
what is the ornage and white steel box in that pictures. looks like somthing stihl made or marketed. is it a chainsaw case?

You mean my handy dandy gas can/tool box?    :)

The bottom holds my  wedges, saw files, bar oil, etc.... :o

Magicman

Quote from: Radar67 on February 07, 2010, 07:28:01 PM
Looks very similar to the 12 ton unit I got in the fall for almost 70% off.

I remember that you made a nice catch also.... ;D

thecfarm

I have one that looks like that too.Mine is a cub cadet brand,same thing.Saw White had the same thing,for $150 when I bought ours.Mine is pushing 10 year old,has a BS motor on it.When mine was built,steel was cheap so the I beam goes the length of the hyd cyd.I have split some really big,rough pieces with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

indiaxman1

Good job Magicman...won't ever regret....I split with axe/maul many years, but got MTD....21 ton 5 yrs ago....great to haul out to site...take care of business...had to put tubes in tires due to chronic deflation problem....but otherwise has saved time, and back....

flibob

Like some of the others my old MTD just keeps goin.   I am like you car trailer and 4 wheeler.  But I have a Gator for the dogs.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

Magicman

Quote from: TimRB on February 06, 2010, 08:54:27 PM
If you wouldn't mind taking another picture, I would be interested in seeing how they attached the cylinder to the I-beam. 
Tim

Here it is.  The cylinder is actually attached like an old "Civil War" cannon.  A large lug on each side.  As I previously said, it is not solidly attached.  The cylinder can be lifted an inch or so.  The ram is, of course, bolted to the wedge which is "captured" around the top of the I beam.

I hope that this makes sense.

thecfarm

TimRB,have a Tractor Supply near you?I went there to buy some bar and chain oil on sale,$6 and looked at one like Magicman's,but it was a differant color.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TimRB

Magicman, thanks very much for the additional pic!  It looks like the lugs are simply welded to the sides of the cylinder--is that right? 

Thecfarm, I don't have a Tractor Supply outlet near me, but there is a Troy-Bilt dealer (who does happen to be a tractor dealer/farm supply) that I drop in to periodically.  I will keep my eyes peeled for the new splitter.

Tim

DR_Buck

Do you guy's with this model find the cycle time slow?    I have the same model and size as Magicman except probably a year or 2 older.   I don't have that red shield on top of mine.   I find the cycle time to be painfully slow.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!