iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

land and timber auction in western ky

Started by sawthemlogs, February 06, 2010, 07:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawthemlogs

I attended this auction today ...Here are a few prices it brought...the timber rights which was spread on 108 acres brought 54,000 dollars.it had 51,000 yellow poplar;49,200 of red oak;23,000of hickory;22,800 of white oak;3,720 hard maple..plus varies other  hardwood  for a total of 163,400 bd ft.. the tract of land this was on sold620.dollars acre...the other 2 small tracts of land sold 2000. per acre i think they totaled 17 acres...AND A LOT OF MUD..
R.D.

Magicman

How long did the timber buyer have to harvest the timber?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawthemlogs

R.D.

KyMasterLogger

$620 an acre sounds like a bargain for the land, but .33 cents for standing timber is more than i would be willing to invest. was any of the timber damaged from the ice storm of last year?

SwampDonkey

Those prices sound similar to here. When the market was hot a couple years ago, some guys were paying $2000/acre just for stumpage, when it had been running $500-750 / acre stumpage. Clearcut land is usually $50-$250 an acre, more if it's land to clear for farm. But, most of that type of land has already been cleared. Lots of guys trying to make marginal land work as farms and I see a good many abandoned projects. Can't farm muck holes, all the tiling in the world won't dry them up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawthemlogs

Quote from: KyMasterLogger on February 07, 2010, 12:53:37 AM
$620 an acre sounds like a bargain for the land, but .33 cents for standing timber is more than i would be willing to invest. was any of the timber damaged from the ice storm of last year?
i didn t, inspect the timber personally.i only went for the antique tractor that was there...i wouldnt think there would have been much damage it was mostly hardwood... i live over 1oo miles from there  at least  our hardwoods didnt suffer...pine did
R.D.

SwampDonkey

A bad ice storm in hardwood does some serious damage. Can turn the lot to firewood or at best pulpwood if not salvaged before middle of sap season. No mill around here will buy stained logs. They have not bought into the spalt figure and blue stain niche.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KyMasterLogger

Thank You Sponsors!