iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole Barn Plans

Started by Daver, February 06, 2010, 01:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daver

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if any of you might have access to a easy cad program.. I need to plan out a 20' x 32' pole barn with posts, 2 x 6 rafters and 2 x 4 laying flat wall framing... t1-11 is going on the outside.. so I can give an estimate.. I never made one before I could spend hours and hours planning an estimate..

If anyone out there has the time to pop out a pdf file for a simple pole barn.. 1 window, 1 door, & 1 garage door.. the garage door would go on the end of the building. It will have no concrete floor at least for right now..  The posts will need to be set down 3' because the ground freezes in this area..

I have the basic idea in my mind..  I know your time is money if your plan is reasonable maybe we can work something out via paypal.. once I see a sample image.. etc.. Or if you feel generous in helping a fellow woodworker I would be eternally grateful.. Or if you know of a free cad program that is simple to use let me know..  ;D

Dave
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

Jim_Rogers

Did you ever download the D-CAD 2D program from the Dietrich's site?

It's free, and I can teach you how to draw with it......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Daver

Thanks Jim, I remembered you helped me plan my post and beam addition... That was so nice of you.

No I didn't, where is Dietrich's site? I will try to find it and give it a spin..

Thanks, Dave   ( I just might need your assistance)

Daver

I am waiting for them to send me a password so I can download the program.

Jim_Rogers

You should get one shortly as it is an automatic function.....

I'll be around tomorrow morning so if you can also download the tutorials and try them to learn......

Daver

I downloaded it and watched the videos but it looks a little confusing still but I am interested in trying to figure it out..

Dave

Jim_Rogers

Daver:
What we could do is, if you have a high speed Internet connection (not dial up), connect computers with a program known as "gotomeeting" and I could show you how to draw with it.
Once you learn some basic commands it's not that hard, just getting started is the hard part.

I'm not usually available beyond 6 pm so we'd have to do it either during the day or late afternoon.

And if anyone else is interested in joining in there would be space available. What you need to do is to have the program down loaded and ready. When the meeting starts you'll have to call into a party line phone number and that will connect you so you can hear what is said. If you don't have a nation wide calling plan then there could be long distance charges on your phone bill.

We could set a time say 5:30 pm eastern time and go for 1/2 hour or so and that should get you started.

Unless some other time during the day works for you.

Jim Rogers

Daver

That sounds like a great idea but I don't have long distance capabilities. I have had little work lately so I am cash strapped.. Thanks to our wonderful gov and wallstreet... Is it possible that you could make youtube videos? Then I could watch and listen etc.. Just a thought.. If it is too much trouble don't worry about it.

If none of that is possible since you have more experience could you tell me what you would use to build a 20' x 32' pole barn. Basically how far apart you would span the posts, rafters,   Maybe also beam sizes..    So far as of now the potential customer is interested in having 1-8' garage door on the 20' side, 1-window, 1-door  with t1-11 for the siding.

Thanks Dave

DouginUtah

If you enter my name--Doug--you can use Gotomeeting free for thirty days.  :)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Daver on February 08, 2010, 07:33:13 AM
That sounds like a great idea but I don't have long distance capabilities.

Well, there maybe another way, do you have skype? if so we could use that. It's free, but you have to have a microphone to ask questions.... and you can listen through your computer speakers. Does you computer have speakers?

The other option is if no one else wants to do this we could do this just you and me, and I'll call you as I have a nation wide calling plan and it doesn't cost me anything to talk to you.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Daver on February 08, 2010, 07:33:13 AM
If none of that is possible since you have more experience could you tell me what you would use to build a 20' x 32' pole barn. Basically how far apart you would span the posts, rafters,   Maybe also beam sizes..    So far as of now the potential customer is interested in having 1-8' garage door on the 20' side, 1-window, 1-door  with t1-11 for the siding.
Thanks Dave

I can understand exactly where you're coming from. If this customer wants a quote for the building tell them you need a plan. Tell them the plan costs money, get a $50 plan fee from them and if they are willing to spend some money then you can get them a plan to use in order to create an estimate.

In the meantime look at this pole barn gallery of pictures:

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=216

This will give you some ideas.

Daver

OK Jim.. I do have skype.  But what I am doing is communicating with the customer and getting as many details as I can from him. This way I will know more before we get together. OK.. I will be in touch.. He is not in a rush right now. He does have to get a permit and He plans to do some of it himself setting posts and pour the floor and shingles..  I will get back to you soon.. Jim Thanks a lot for being so accommodating.. You have been alot of help on here I am sure a lot of guys here really appreciate it.

Did you mean you would do the plan for $50? I was not sure what you meant. Or that I should make the plan and charge him?

Thanks Dave..

scrout

Daver

Thank You Scrout, I will be sure to check it out.. :-)

Dave

Jim_Rogers

I meant you should charge him $50 for doing a plan for him to get the estimate from.

If he is serious he'll give you the money, and you could use it to get a microphone or head set for skype and then I can teach you how to draw the plan.

I just did a design and estimate for a 12x16 garden/animal shed to be cut out of the client's logs and it took me 10 hours to do. My time is valuable, and I charged her for the plan and estimate.

Gather as much information as you can and then we can begin.

Jim

Coon

Wow this sounds interesting.  I think I may have this program saved somewhere if not I need to download it again.  I know I had it and the tutorials in the past but got confused enough that I just gave up.

Jim, I would be interested in learning this too.  I have a long distance plan for anywhere in North America. I can get skype if needed too.  I will get the program and tutorials and have everything ready.  Am available almost any time in the next month or so.  Kinda got alot of time on my hands till spring break up.  :o   Will get back to ya tomorrow.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Jim_Rogers

Brad:
Sure the more the merrier.......

Jim Rogers

Daver

OK thanks for the clarification.. I'll get back to you Thanks Jim!

Dave

Sparty

Google sketchup could be a good option. It has a free version that is excellent, has video tutorials, and you can import designs and plans that other people around the world share for free. I did a quick search in sketchup and there are lots of models in there like this...

Jim_Rogers

Sparty:
It's true there are lots of plans out there, but if it isn't exactly what the customer wants then how good is it really?

Understanding how to draw the exact one you need is a valuable lesson....

And being able to print it out to take it with you to show him is very valuable as well...

Sparty

Sparty

Jim....yes you need to know how to operate the CAD program.  I found that sketchup was easy to learn with the video tutorials and a huge bonus is the ability to download standard sized doors, railings, windows, siding, roofing etc. without constructing each component yourself.  Also, if you are building something you haven't made before, looking at other people's models is a good shortcut.  You can print these plans out just like any other CAD program.

beenthere

I'd think one could use Sparty's idea and "re-model" the canned designs....take them apart and add/remove/change to fit the needs of the designer.
I've played with sketch-up and am impressed with it, but not spent the little extra time to learn it well. I think I go at it with big ideas what I want and then get discouraged with my lack of knowledge. Someday.....I'll stick to it. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Daver

Hey Sparty,

That is great to know Thanks! But I think I will take Jim's advice.. I want to learn how to draw the plans myself.. But if I can someday grab one of drawings it would save alot of time if the drawing fits what I need.. I do appreciate you telling me though, thanks!

Dave

Daver

Very Nice Sparty!!!

Quote from: Sparty on February 10, 2010, 12:46:56 PM
Jim....yes you need to know how to operate the CAD program.  I found that sketchup was easy to learn with the video tutorials and a huge bonus is the ability to download standard sized doors, railings, windows, siding, roofing etc. without constructing each component yourself.  Also, if you are building something you haven't made before, looking at other people's models is a good shortcut.  You can print these plans out just like any other CAD program.

Thank You Sponsors!