iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pusher stick

Started by bandmiller2, February 05, 2010, 08:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

The big bugaboo with handset circular mills is you need an offbearer for max production.Alot of the time short runs your alone.I use a 4"x5' one inch pine board with a carved handle, as the board just clears the saw I give it push and it ends up in a pile.That keeps your hands and feet away from the toothy disc.Sometimes low tech is all the tech you need.You never want to have anything rubbing the side of your saw plate,be it log ,board,slab or even a wedged chip it can heat the saw in no time.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Good point Frank.  ;)

It can also go flying around the saw-shed!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

captain_crunch

That is what is neet about my hyd drive on my bellsaw you can run carrage back slowly enough to get board or slab dealt with and beat carrage back when you are playing one man band. But when you got help you can get back reasonably quick also by setting lever in full flow.
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

Captain C. I thought long and hard about making up a hydraulic feed on my mill,but couldn't resist the lure of big flat pulleys and flaping belts.My mill is kind of  an historic mill in town figured I should keep it origional,or nearly so.Did you use an open center spool valve that will sort of motor when you release it.The typical closed center valve would stop short when you let loose the valve, or is it not a problem??Frank C.

STUMPKICKER

Good day Frank. The pusher stick is a good idear. What we had in the old mill was a short shaft fastened parallel to the arbor and even with the splitter. It had a small flat belt with a half turn runnin' off the arbor. It worked great and made the offbearer  ;D. What you said 'bout low tech... :) ;).

whiskers

Frank,  I've found there's less handling and cleanup when I push as little as possible toward the off bearer end.
Sawing solo (most of the time) on a handset manual everything mill what works well for me is the way of the sawyer that I first sawed with. He would leave a small uncut corner on the board and drag back the board still attached to the log on the carriage Stopping with the board clear of the blade yet resting upon the roller just ahead of the blade on one end and the other above the deck. Then a pull on the bottom of the board would break off the hold and that board along with others to be edged were stacked  on the deck. Now I place a cart opposite the sawyer @ 90 degrees to the track for slabs and finished boards, those to be edged are stacked over the mandrel on a roller ahead of the edger. Any unattached slab or board to be brought back past the blade toward the sawyer must be moved while the carriage and dog board are along side the blade, otherwise the saw can more easily launch the piece. For the scraps and slabs that come off near the blade a homemade hookaroon works well.
The previous statement has been thoroughly disapproved by OSHA and other disapproving agencies.
I'd sure like to hear about any labor saving ideas on sawing solo. I enjoy makin' boards, just don't care much for what follows. That's where it can become that dreaded w word. Whiskers

many irons in the fire.........

captain_crunch

Bandmiller2
The valve was given to me and I was told it was exactly what I needed :) So that covers my knowledge of it. But the spool piston turns in and out so it will stay where you put it and is very even at opperating the hyd motor. Know what you mean about the belts Duane has an American with the belts and man will that carrage fly. What I like about mine is it runs off the tractor hyds not mandrel shaft so ifn the timber bing gets you and drive belt to blade starts slipping stoping blade you can still back out of cut enough to get blade turning at speed while I figure out what Plan B is
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

Whiskers, I've seen that done,I don't really have that much room on my end and was spoiled rotten on my first mill partner/offbearer tailing.Boards to be edged on top of the husk slabs right in a waiting dump trailer.OSHA and sawmills is like trying to mix oil and water.If I was trying to make a living on this old mill I'd for sure have all the rube goldberg devices to handle boards and slabs, but simple has its own rewards.Frank C.

whiskers

Light, durable and cheap.
many irons in the fire.........

bandmiller2

Whiskers,I also made my pickaroon found a pick with a new handle at the dump with the torch cut one side off, outher side cut it down with the oxy torch and fordged it on the anvil works like a champ.Frank  C.

Thank You Sponsors!