iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood sled

Started by DonT, February 09, 2010, 10:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

Greetings to all.   I am looking to build a sled or tobbogan type contaption, for carrying firewood from the bush.I would like to make it so that it holds about a face cord of wood but is easily maneuverable around and through the woods over fairly rough ground.Could be pulled by either a horse or an atv.All ideas and thoughts greatly appreciated.   Thanks Donald

SwampDonkey

Two options I suppose. A bob sled that can be steered from the front runners or a lighter version of a long sled. Here we used long sleds for firewood, but usually a team hitch. That was in my younger days when I was too small to be of any use. :D

When the long sled is used, the pull also gives lift on the front for easy steering and pulling. You'll want to make a hitch so the horse or ATV can hold the load from ramming into the rear end on a down slope. Most long sled runners for teams were make of 3"x10" or 12" hardwood with steel shoes. You could also use Teflon.

Here is a team longsled

http://bathurst.kijiji.ca/c-pets-livestock-for-sale-12-Foot-Longsled-W0QQAdIdZ157196331
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Quebecnewf

Check out my gallery you may see something there

Quebecnewf

DonT

Thanks for the replies guys.To give you an idea of what I am thinking about,picture a 10ft jon boat with a hitch on steroids

Thank You Sponsors!