iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Set-up Blocks

Started by D._Frederick, February 04, 2010, 10:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

While paging through a back issue of WOOD SMITH, I came across a 2 page article about Brass Set-UP Blocks used for adjusting routers, tablesaws  and mortisers. They are 4 inches long and are sized from 1/8 inch to 1/2. The cost is about $15 for the set.

I was wondering if any of you wood workers have a set and use them? I don't like buying something and never use it because it takes to much time.

Don_Papenburg

I always wanted some but thought the price was too high for what you get  plus the fact that I would be spending more time looking for them than getting any use out of them .  If I had several sets they would be very handy to set up the plunge router .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

LeeB

Make your own.  They don't have to be brass.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Sprucegum

What Leeb said

I made mine out of maple - they get some use  ::)

I also have a board with different depth notches cut in it. I use it on the table router , and table saw,to set cutter hieght.

pnyberg

I got a set from Lee Valley a few years ago.  1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and a 1x 2x 3 block, all in a nice little foam-lined plastic box.  I don't recall the price.

I use them more than just about any other tool in my shop.  They never stay in the drawer very long.

--Peter
No longer milling

Thank You Sponsors!