iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To clutch or not to clutch

Started by welderskelter, February 04, 2010, 09:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

Just building some more on my mill and need input as to wether I need to clutch my engine and idle it down each cut or not. What do the pros do? Thanks Harold

Dan_Shade

what type of clutch are you planning on using?

how many HP will your mill engine have?

Personally, I like to be able to quickly stop the band from spinning.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

There is no right or wrong.  Personally, I want that option, and for safety reasons, would demand that option.

One other thing to consider is blade life.  Your blade will travel around the bandwheels only so many times before they break.  That's a simple fact.  You could add up to 1/4 more life to the band before breaking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

It really is  a point of preference.  I agree.  The mill will saw without it.    But there are reasons to have a clutch too.

The best reason hasn't to do with stopping the band, it has to do with starting the motor/engine.   Without a clutch of some kind,  the engine starter is having to turn over the engine, the shafts and bearings, bandwheels, guides and bands.  That's quite a bit of weight.   Having a clutch of some kind allows you to separate most of that stuff from the starter motor.

Having a clutch, also allows you to have a brake.  A brake comes in handy, especially when learning to saw, to give you the confidence to "gig" back. (return the mill head to the front of the log)  You go through a real steep learning curve when you gig back, the band touches something and comes flying off.

Having a brake is nice when you want to change bands because you can stop the wheels from turning. 

Clutches don't have to be centrifigul clutches, mounted on the shaft of the engine.  They can be idler pulleys mounted on an over-center cam that tightens the drive belts, or even, like Woodmizers setup, raising and lowering the engine to loosen or tighten the belts.

To me, operationally, the clutch is a necessity, even though the mill would work without it.

ladylake

Yes you for sure need a clutch, either electric or manual. A remote throttle is another nice feature that I wouldn't be without anymore unless you had a offbearer all the time.
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Welder, ole Tom covered it as usual.You really need a clutch and throttle.On my bandmill I used a belt tensioner with a pulley that comes up and overcenters tight,on the end I have a "L" shaped piece so when dissengauged it tends to brake the belts.I have a handy lever right next to the throttle.I make a cut ,throttle down, dissengauge clutch raise and gig back doing all my adjusting at idle and declutched.You'll save your bands and won't have a high reving engine in your ear.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

KyTreeFarmer

Welderskelter
[quote author=Tom link=topic=41900.msg605768#msg605768 date=126534367
Having a clutch, also allows you to have a brake.  A brake comes in handy, especially when learning to saw, to give you the confidence to "gig" back. (return the mill head to the front of the log)  You go through a real steep learning curve when you gig back, the band touches something and comes flying off.
[/quote]

Definitely not a professional here but it only took me one time doing this to figure out its good to disengage my clutch before gigging back. If I was to ever build a mill it would have a clutch. My LT15 clutch lever also works the throttle. From my viewpoint Tom is right on the money.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

moonhill

My mill does not have a clutch.   I would clutch it some how if making a new mill.

My powers system needs the motor to run the hydraulic system, if I stopped the drive system the hydraulics would not work, just the way it is set up.  I turn it off and on a lot.  I have knocked the band off a couple of times, it doesn't take many times to make you aware and after a few times you look out for such triggers, but that is not the answer.

Tim 
This is a test, please stand by...

Hilltop366

These guys really got it covered, Bandmiller made a good point about placement of the controls, the more things you can control from the operators position the better, I thought that the SMG mill addressed that very well for a manual mill, might be worth a look for ideas.

bandmiller2

A little off clutches but when your building your guards around the band make the front covers out of plywood then when a band comes off it won't get lunched out by a steel cover.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

welderskelter

I never give a brake a thought. Will have to figure that in Thanks Harold

Thank You Sponsors!