iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squirrels in My House

Started by Mark M, October 06, 2003, 07:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I was taking a little break yesterday when I noticed this DanG squirrel scolding me from up on da roof. Didn't think much of it until he disappeared behind a loose piece of trim. So now me thinks I have to get rid of him somehow cause squirrels sometimes chew on wires and start fires. First thought was to get out the 22 but since I'm in town the neighbors might not take kindly to my target practice so I'm thinking I can try to live trap him or get a pellet gun. Anyone got any other ideas, tips, or suggestions?

Mark

Texas Ranger

I had the same problem, till both of them graduated. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Paul_H

Get out the Norwood and start cloning more Cats.

My father inlaw lives in Calgary and is a 40 min drive from the Calgary Zoo.He is over run with big black Squirrels that have moved out from the zoo.For awhile he was live trapping them and releasing them into rural areas,until it was pointed out that thats how the came to his place in the first place :-/

A live trap will catch them if baited with peanuts or peanut butter.Once caught,it would probably be best to feed your cats with them.
If you use a pellet gun,you run the risk of wounding one,and having him die somewhere in your house.A small critter can make a big stench :-X

Hope this helps.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

My son had the same problem and bought one of these ultrasonic gadgets that are supposed to run off any kind of pest. He put it in his attic.   I don't know if it worked or not because at the same time he was using the old 12 barrel double gage method :.  
milking and logging and sawing and milking

shopteacher

Nobel,
   The 12 guage methods usuallys lends to a better stew.  We have one of those ultrasonic pest chasers. I use to hear mice in the walls about 4:00 in the morning.  Don't know if that thing works or not, but haven't heard anymore mice.  Course they might have just taken a cruise during the summers months and now that colder weather is coming on may try and return then we'll see if it actually works. Hope so, those critters in the walls knawing and chewing bring on some mighty scary illusions. >:(
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

ohsoloco

I can always hear mice run across the drop ceiling in my bedroom first thing in the morning, and late at night  >:(  They're good at licking the peanut butter off without setting the trap, so I tie a piece of raw bacon on the trap...gets em every time  ;)

woodmills1

In the old house squirrels got in while working on the roof.  Stories you don't want to hear.  In the end only shooting worked.  And honestly i don't really shoot anything.  I beaned one with the pellet gun, at least I could always tell it was him from the scar.  It took the 12 gague to be rid of them.  They are real good at chewing wood ifin ya on't know.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

I have a customer that uses a twenty-two and c-caps. They are shorts that have a very small load and just "pop".  I think they have a range about like a good air gun.  He is in a very residential area and says nobody ever hears it go off.

Larry

Fix the hole!  CB-caps work great without any more noise than a pellet gun but if you wound the critter it will probally crawl into a hole in the house where you can't extract it without a lot of effort.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Sawyerfortyish

I had flying squirrels in my house. Never forget when I was dating my wife I caught something out of the corner of my eye come out from behind a loose piece of molding and fly across the room and land on the floor right in front of her :D The next thing I know she is standing on the back of the couch screaming  :o and the cat is going wild trying to catch this thing :D. Some how it got away and hid in the couch. I couldn't find it. All I found the next day was it's tail and a very satisfied cat
 I live 3/4 of a mile off the road in squirrel country the only way I can keep them out of my house is to kill every Dang one I see. 12ga is the preferd gun with any shell thats handy. If you dont they will litterally eat you out of house and home.

Mark M

That flying squirrel reminds me of something that happened at our place in Minnesota. We had some red squirrels in the attic and I would lean out the window and plug them with the 22 when they stuck their head out. My daughter was in the bedroom and had her window open when one of those DanG'd squirrels jumped through it and landed on right on top of her head. She screamed and jumped and the squirrel let out a squeak or squeal or some kind of noise and jumped back out the window. It only took a split second but we are still laughing about it. :D

OneWithWood

Shopteacher, the mice are still there but the high frequency doo dad has ruined your hearing so you can't hear 'em. ;D

Mark,  you need another cat.  Obviously your cloned kitty has lost the hunting instinct!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Furby

You could use a one way door where they are going into your house at.
Or just use the live trap and then the pellet gun. ;)

pappy

Ifn' ya don't have a good mouser ( puddy tat) set your self up with a bird feeder, put black oil sun floor seed in it and a little patients with a 22 and "austa la vista baby"
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

C_Miller

I set a trap for the mice making noise in the house. went to check the traps one day and couldn't find one.  A few days later I found the missing trap near an exit point with a red squirrel tail under the trap bail.

C
CJM

shopteacher

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

pappy

shoptheacher,
who dat say who dat when I say who dat ?? ;D ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

isawlogs

Yep sunflower seeds and you

realaxing awaiting the little criter ;D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

biziedizie

Mark take a peel and stix tile and turn it upside down and nail it. The little buggers will get stuck to it and if they don't chew off their legs they will be there in the morning. Grab a ten pound sledge, bash them over the head and your problems are solved. :D Works great with mice and birds too :D
  That or can can do what I do with the ones that hang out here. I feed them and and we have all became buddies and have learned to live together 8) I kinda like living with nature 8)

Steve

L. Wakefield

I tried that stix stuff one time and I couldn't stand watching the mousie try to pull its foot right off to get free. They are terminally stuck. I just want them gone. They can exist eslewhere.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Mark M

I tried those sticky traps too LW and felt the same way :'(

I got a live trap and so far have caught 2. I take them over to the dump which is about 2 miles away. I have been painting their tails red so I can see if they come back. I know I have at least one more to catch but there are so many squirrels around there may be more.

I like the critters too Bizie but am afraid they might chew on wires and start a fire so I have to get them out of the house. I don't bother the ones outside, just the ones that climb up the fire escape. I am thinking I might be able to block their path on the fire escape somehow so the can't climb upstairs. That is the only way they can get in.

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!