iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home made sausage stuffer

Started by Bodger, February 04, 2010, 09:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodger

I've looked back and cannot find any threads...anybody made a sausage stuffer?  I need something more that the 3 - 5 or 10 lb ones.  Thinking about using PVC and hydraulic (water) power.  Most of it is pretty straight forward except:  What to use for the plunger?  How about  using the material from one of those nylon cutting boards.  Cut it into disks, epoxy a few together, put them on the lathe, round them up, cut a couple of grooves for O-rings.  Did see a few commercial ones and demos of a couple of homemades but didn't see any plans. 
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

iffy

I saw a video somewhere of exactly that. The guy made a piston with an O ring on it and tried to use an air cylinder to run it but he got too much creep. He ended up using an acme threaded rod and a dc variable motor with foot control. I'll see if I can round up the video.

Mooseherder

You can pick up a Sausage Horn that'll attach to a small grinder head for Stuffing Casings without really needing a Stuffer.  Just run it through the grinder and Stuff all at once.
They can be bought at Outdoor World type store locations. 
You can also make sausage patties without the casings which is my preference.
Hog Casings aren't cheap anymore.  I think a Hank of casings is around 15 dollars all though I haven't bought any in a few years.  I have a commercial Stuffer if you need pictures of it.

LeeB

Try LEM products. They make and sell the stuff to the outdoors places and quite often have reconditioned merchandice for a third the price of new. You can't beat thier customer service.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bodger

The grinder thing would work...but you'd have to run it through twice.  Once to grind it, mix in the spices and then stuff it.  However my grinder would run too fast, I'm afraid, maybe break the casings.  I got in the shop for a little while this morning and cut up one of those plastic cutting boards.  I stacked a few, epoxied them together and turned them on the lathe to fit snug.  I'll put it back on, cut a couple of grooves for O-rings.  When I get a little further along I will try and post some pictures. 
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

Mooseherder

We used to do it with a Horn on large commercial grinder but we worked the power with a foot switch that allowed you to catch up.  I've always said man should have been built with three hands. :D
You could have someone work the switch for you.  Soak your casings overnite in a water bucket in the Fridge.  They'll slide on and off the horn easier making for less stress tearing. ;)

An option you have of not running it thru twice which sometimes will make you mush is cutting your Meat pieces the size of stew meat or smaller.  Use a little Ice when you Mix your Seasonings and blend thoroughly. Then Grind and stuff.
You can catch it in the casing on the first pass with a Horn over a medium coarse or chili plate.

My favorite way to do it is grind with medium coarse plate into a lug, mix your seasonings, put it in Sausage Stuffer and start cranking. ;)

Reddog

Mooseherder

Wow, the Hank of Hog Casings on that site cost 29.99. :o

Coon

Wow, you guys are crazy to be paying that much for sausage casings.  I just picked some up for $3.99 Cdn/ pkg.  Each package does about 45 lbs.  The casings I get are salted and need to be soaked and rinsed.  I usually do this twice before stuffing.  I hope the sale on these casings is not over cuz I need and want more after seeing those prices.  :D 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sawdust

I have tried turning nylon on a lathe, did not work well for me. Bodger if you need some fancy plastic for a piston let me know. I have some stuff called Nylotron which is easy to turn on a lathe and you could then use an O ring. PM me if you wish.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

zopi

Don't use nylon..use Ultra High Molecular Weight Plastic..UHMW..machinery places carry it..it machines well, but the bit needs to be sharp....

I would suggest, if you don't wind up using a motor drive, use a split nut on your crank mechanism, so you don't have to crank the piston back out every time...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!