Biochar?

Started by Louis, February 03, 2010, 09:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis

Anybody making any? or selling it?

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

timberfaller390

apparently this isn't a hot topic. I will echo the "what is it" question.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Mr Mom

Bio char is what is left after the old time farmers burnt there old corn stalks.
Ash really.
I put all my ashes from the wood stove in my garden with the goat poo.
I have tomatos that get 6' tall.
I have not heared any body selling it.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Magicman

OK, thanks,  now I don't need any..... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WH_Conley

After reading the article I don't think ashes would qualify, sounds like they don't want complete combustion, to lock up carbon. I have used ashes on the garden, works great. I have a neighbor that had a low spot filled in for garden, fill was mostly clay. He used his old garden for a couple of years. Took the wood ash from two houses and scattered on his fill, turned it in worked for a couple of years. He has a nice garden now, does not pack like clay.
Bill

Dodgy Loner

You have to be careful using ashes in your garden. It's like fat in your food. You need a little to stay healthy, but overdo it and you'll run into all sorts of problems. Ashes are very alkaline and can greatly improve acidic soil up to a certain point. After you reach that point, if you keep applying them you can quickly ruin a patch of ground. I process hundreds of soil samples each year, and 9 times out of 10 when I find a sample in the 7.5-8.5 pH range (6.0-6.5 is considered ideal for most garden vegetables, by the way) it's because they've been applying ash indiscriminately to their garden patch.

Biochar, on the other had, is NOT the same thing as ash. It's a form of charcoal that is of great interest due to its potential soil-building properties. There is a lot of research going on right not, but not a lot of success in that field. The idea of amending soil with biochar is to eventually build up something like the terra preta that is found in random stretches of Amazonia.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Mr Mom

I was wrong.
Forget what i said.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Magicman

OK,  so I want some again..... :D :D :D

Louis

Went to see a biocar 1ton a day system on a trail. This would or could be use for organic mater(slah piles). They will have big 50 ton a day soon.Abri-Tech is who built it. Very nice makes sence but I don't know much more. Will try to get photos up soon.

woodmills1

Louis could ya would ya post a location, update your bio, so we can see where your from.  Helps us have to use reading glasses guys taylor our responses.

and thanks for bringing biochar to our attention.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

beenthere

Quote from: Louis on February 04, 2010, 06:40:39 PM
Went to see a biocar 1ton a day system on a trail. This would or could be use for organic mater(slah piles). They will have big 50 ton a day soon.Abri-Tech is who built it. Very nice makes sence but I don't know much more. Will try to get photos up soon.

Are you teasing us?  The post was a bit difficult to decipher.
biocar   
mater
slah
sence

What is Abri-Tech?  Googling comes up with nothing under that name. Is it spelled that way?

Help us out here.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pasbuild

Come on Beenthere, read it phonetically and it makes perfect sense.

pasbuild

I saw Mike Rowe makin it on dirty jobs ;D

Louis

I'm not so good on the net!  I cut trees!! So what I saw was in Halfway Or. and it was just a test. We are in centreal Id. I'll try to get photos on soon but so far I have not figured it out yet. Don't anybody hold there breath!! I probly need my wife for the job.

Thank You Sponsors!