iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie from Nova Scotia

Started by stanfan, February 03, 2010, 10:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanfan

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for the last few weeks and enjoying the wealth of information on this forum....moderators, if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Being a newbie, I have a tonne of questions, so let me get started....

We recently bought a 100+ year old house on a 55 acre parcel of land that borders two lakes and a smelt brook.  The house is at the front of the land and both lakes are almost at the end of the land.  There was a foot path there back to the lake but the elderly couple who we bought the house from did not keep it up.  I plan on purchasing a portable mill (still researching them) to cut wood off of my land for my own purposes.  The properly is almost 2 miles deep I think.

A hurricane blew through here 5 years ago and there is a lot of hurricane damage.  Our house is about 250 from the ocean (across the road).  I bought a 4 wheeler, small logging trailer and a Stihl MS260 and have been picking away at the wind damage, making a 4 wheeler sized path that'll eventually reach back to the lakes.  The land is quite rugged and there is a 300 ft. ridge through the centre of the property.

Is there anyone from the atlantic provinces on here that either cleaned up after this damage or had tried to remanage their lot after such a storm.  There is quite a bit of undergrowth scattered in amongst the windfall and the fir trees are quite thick in places...I assume I'll have to thin them out eventually.

Thanks so much,

Rob

Hilltop366

Hi and welcome from another Nova Scotian sounds like a very nice property, must be around Halifax area or north west of it to have lots of damage from Juan. Didn't get much damage from it down here in Yarmouth Co. but have had lots of winds since.

Can't help much with the forestry question, What I do around my house is try and sort the wood out as I am cutting, We have mostly spruce and fir here, most of it ends up as fire wood (too far gone for saw logs) the worst gets slashed and left to rot (the closer to the ground the faster it breaks down), any good stuff gets set aside off the ground for cutting on the mill. It is not easy cutting being all tangled up and other stuff growing up around it luckly I have use of a small tractor and winch which helps alot.

I would think you have to deside what you want to get out of your property and what you want it to look like to know what needs to be done in order to get there in the end.

Cheers and happy cutting

Jamie_C

Yet another bluenoser finds there way here .... where exactly are you located ... if there's lots of fir then i would place my bets that you are just east of Halifax as the fir down there comes up really thick.

Give a bit more info and i might be able to point you in a decent direction.

redneck logger

Hey there another nova scotian and welcome to the forum. 8)
got to love working in the woods

Magicman

I've visited Nova Scotia.....does that count  ???  Welcome to The Forsetry Forum.  We did indeed enjoy our visit to Nova Scotia.   I also know that you will enjoy being a FF member..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stanfan

Thanks for the replies everyone.....

I'm in Musquodoboit Harbour (not to far from Truro as the crow flies), born and raised in Canso though. I've just spent an hour or so reading on this forum and I don't think I've scratched the surface...

Rob

SwampDonkey

Quote from: stanfan on February 04, 2010, 05:50:41 AM
I've just spent an hour or so reading on this forum and I don't think I've scratched the surface...

Rob

Not even close. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

Quote from: Magicman on February 03, 2010, 09:47:44 PM
I've visited Nova Scotia.....does that count  ???  Welcome to The Forsetry Forum.  We did indeed enjoy our visit to Nova Scotia.   I also know that you will enjoy being a FF member..... :)

Maybe we can take a vote and see.  I'm betting you might make, it especially if you can pronounce Musquodoboit correctly.

Magicman

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 04, 2010, 02:00:27 PM
Maybe we can take a vote and see.  I'm betting you might make, it especially if you can pronounce Musquodoboit correctly.

"Mosquodoboit"....That's the funniest looking "Spanish" that I've ever seen...... :D :D :D

We didn't drive through Upper Mosquodoboit, or Middle Mosquodoboit, but we did pass through Mosquodoboit Harbour.  Actually, my wife was a McMillan, and has relatives in Nova Scotia.

How is the vote going  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Stanfan, welcome to a wonderful place, The Forestry Forum. 
We love pictures.  Would like to see some pics of your new property.

Also, what is a "smelt brook"?  The little fishes I suppose?  Any trout?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jamie_C

Quote from: stanfan on February 04, 2010, 05:50:41 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.....

I'm in Musquodoboit Harbour (not to far from Truro as the crow flies), born and raised in Canso though. I've just spent an hour or so reading on this forum and I don't think I've scratched the surface...

Rob

Actually Rob i grew up just east of there ... Tangier/East Ship Hbr area.

Did you buy the little place that Barb Hashimoto had listed on the eastern end of Musq. Hbr ??

A great resource for any forestry questions will be Glen Boutilier at the local DNR office ( about 1/4 before Sobeys in Jeddore), he used to look after private lands management plans back when the NS Gov. was still active in those sort of things.

stanfan

Jamie....small world eh!  We are located between the DNR and the train museum on the #7.  Our land borders Faulker and Admiral lakes, the smelt brook feeds from Faulkner lake and comes out in Smith Settlement.  Google earth shows the plot of land well.  Thanks for the DNR contact, I'll have to check him out.  We know few people as we are relatively new to the area.  I'll post some pics once I figure out how..

Take care,

Rob

ps...Pronouncing or spelling Musquodoboit really reaks havoc on telemarketers.. :D

SwampDonkey

How about:

Magaguadavic
Mamozekel
Manawagonish
Meduxnekeag
Kouchibouguac
Nauwigewauk

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stanfan

Quick question....I followed the tutorial for posting pics but it doesn't seem to want to run on my PC, any helpful hints or programs to do so....

SwampDonkey

Do you have Java installed? If your in Firefox v3.6 you need V 6.10 or higher.

fishpharmer

Stanfan, the java uploader really simplified the picture loading process for me.  I'm sure swamp donkey knows more about it than myself.  He probably knows more about smelt brooks as well.  We don't have them in MS.  I am blessed/cursed with a fascination of fish and it would be neat to learn about smelt brooks.  Are you a fishermen?

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

moonhill

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 05, 2010, 06:21:08 AM
How about:

Magaguadavic
Mamozekel
Manawagonish
Meduxnekeag
Kouchibouguac
Nauwigewauk

Sounds like Mic Mac or Mi'kmaq.

Tim   
This is a test, please stand by...

stanfan

Here we go....hope this makes it easier...

stanfan

Fishpharmer....

I googled the definiton of Smelt.  Smelt are a small fish of the salmonidae family. Originating in the lakes and rivers of Canada, it is popular with amateur fishermen and chefs alike.  Smelt's body, averaging 20 centimetres, is narrow with an elongated head. They are silver-coloured though they also have differing green hues depending on their origin. Their translucent skin is covered with tiny scales.

Maybe you call it something else?

Rob

Magicman

Sounds like something that we use for bait  ;D :D

SwampDonkey

They sell fresh ones in the local stores and we also have a dip net season in the spring. Mostly on the Miramichi and Restigouche where the rivers aren't dammed and lower Saint John tributaries. Kinda like eating sardines, you need to eat a washtub full to feel satisfied. :D

Papa1stuff

When I was a lot younger and lived in NH, we used to go smelting ,It was kind of like a big party ,everyone lined up along the brook ,sometimes was only a foot or two wide, and waited for the smelt to run,all of at once someone would yell DIP and nets were flying ,sometimes you got a net full ,sometimes not ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Magicman

SwampDonkey

Fry'm in butter, role'm in corn flour, salt and peppa. Fry'm up crispie like a brook trout. ;D mmm

Hilltop366

Around here smelts are usually fished through the ice on the upper parts of places that are fresh water going out but salt water flooded when the tide comes up I'm not sure at what part of the tide the are fished.

They are usually cooked in a frying pan with corn meal and butter.

The only fish that I know of that is done by dip-net is gaspereau (locally called kiack) they are much larger than smelts most of those are sold to lobster fishermen for bait some are smoked others cook them in a frying pan.
I didn't realize untill a few years ago they are dipped from behind as they are running up stream.

Oh ya I'll try to sound it out: Mus-ka-dawbit.

SwampDonkey

Smelts are definitely dipped, my grandfather did it all his life. From the NB fishing summary.

Smelt
Angling or dip netting
Open season ........................................................................................ April 15-May 31
Daily bag and possession limit ...................................................................................60

Magicman

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 05, 2010, 10:56:04 AM

That's exactly what I thought.....  whiteflag_smiley  smiley_headscratch   smiley_idea    smiley_thumbsup lol

Oh, and BTW.  When I said that my wife had relatives in NS, I should have said "ancestral" relatives.  No one that we would know.  We weren't visiting....we were traveling and having fun.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Magicman on February 05, 2010, 12:55:17 PM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 05, 2010, 10:56:04 AM

That's exactly what I thought.....  whiteflag_smiley  smiley_headscratch   smiley_idea    smiley_thumbsup lol

Oh, and BTW.  When I said that my wife had relatives in NS, I should have said "ancestral" relatives.  No one that we would know.  We weren't visiting....we were traveling and having fun.

I was going to ask you if you know my sister's neighbour he is a McMillan, I figure you must have stoped and visited him :D
Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 05, 2010, 11:10:17 AM
Smelts are definitely dipped, my grandfather did it all his life. From the NB fishing summary.

Smelt
Angling or dip netting
Open season ........................................................................................ April 15-May 31
Daily bag and possession limit ...................................................................................60

Didn't doubt ya, just never heard of people dipping them around here, just ice fishing. I'm going to have to ask around and see if anyone dips them here.

Stanfan looks like you got lots of work ahead of you, Juan really tore it up!

Ron Scott

They catch smelt both ways here, dip them and through the ice. Some good eating, either way. ;)
~Ron

mad murdock

Magaguadavic
Mamozekel
Manawagonish
Meduxnekeag
Kouchibouguac
Nauwigewauk???
Athabascan or Inuit?
I spent alot of time in bush Alaksa, places like Quinagak, Kwingilingok, Kongiganak, Igiagig, Chuathbaluk, etc, etc.
Lots of 40+ year old Black Spruce that are no bigger than your forearm, and 15-20 ft tall, unless you had a good southern aspect area, with decent drainage, then you would see some ok sized White or Norway Spruce, and a birch now and again, lots of cottonwood along the big river banks and sloughs.
Welcome to the Forum.  Probably the worlds foremost repository of .02 cent advice, but alot of good info to be found here no doubt!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SwampDonkey

Micmac and Malliseet and often a little Acadian mixed in. ;)

Mooseherder

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Stanfan. :) 
100% Acadian decent here from Nova Scotian Ancestry.
Ancesters fled into the woods before being put on the boat during the Grande' Derangement to Northern Maine.

The memories of Smelt dipping as a child are good ones.  I think the limits
are less than a Gallon now.  The good news is the Landlocked salmon made a comeback.

fishpharmer

Everybody, thanks for all the info on smelt (or smelts?)  I have learned something new here today.  I can only imagine the spawning migrations fill that little brook with Smelt.  Stanman, your pictures do indeed make it easier for me to see that smelt like brooks full of brush and dead limbs.  Makes sense to me that dip netting would be a feasible means of harvest in such an environment.  Thank You.

Looks like your property has some picturesque views of some big water as well.

Jamie_C

stanfan, it looks like your property is pretty close to where the brook comes out in Smith Settlement .... which side are you on ... the DNR side or Sammy Keizers Auto side ?

beenthere

Had some great smelt for lunch today. HMmmmm good!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Catch them yourself? Through the ice?
~Ron

beenthere

Nope, at da Rox...but from the ice chest (freezer)  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

graves logging

iam from the oxford area.i cleaned up from that storm.with a 860 tigercat feller buncher.it was tough going.

rick f

these are smelt camps on the pleasant river in Addison , Maine.  These are set on saltwater ice.

I can't upload jpeg directly here so if you want to see them look in my photo gallery

thanks rick
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Mooseherder

Quote from: rick f on February 07, 2010, 09:24:34 PM
these are smelt camps on the pleasant river in Addison , Maine.  These are set on saltwater ice.
The last year we lived in Maine it was in Addison and I did some Ice fishing on that river not far from the bridge.  It was real scary with that Ice Cracking and shifting. smiley_anxious

beenthere

rick f
Welcome to the forum.
Great pics in your gallery. They are easy to copy into your posts.
While in your post, go to your gallery and click on the pic you want, then scroll down to the green line that says something about copying to a post. Or highlight and copy the url line below that and paste it in your post. Click on preview to see how the pic looks and that is it. You have done the hard work, getting it in your post is the easy step.  :) :)

Hope to hear some stories of the fishing and the logging.
south central Wisconsin

rick f

Thanks for the infomation on posting pictures.

Mooseherder, it's really fun getting on and off the ice when you have to walk the floating ice cakes to get to solid ice. In Addison the tide runs real hard so you can only fish about 1 1/2 hrs before and after high tide.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Thank You Sponsors!