iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choice

Started by Jeff, February 02, 2010, 07:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm turning to the pros on this one.  I'm thinking about a new saw and wondering which would be best.  I imagine you all may tried both and probably have strong opinions on a choice, and you are probably all going to jump on me for posting another which saw is better thread, but hey, some people live on the edge. 

I'm looking for power, but in a light weight. I think green would be a good color as it would look cool with my orange chaps.  I dont want something so big that I can't get it in and out of my milk crate I haul on my bike, but I dont want it so small that I lose it in the tall grass either.

So, what should I pick.  The woodshark, or the wildthing?

I love this board. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ladylake

Woodshark sounds a little meaner.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jeff

I didnt think about that. Good Point.

Reddog

Rocky_J

I think that purple is more your color, Jeff.  8)

And you wouldn't lose it in the tall grass, either.

Cut4fun

I like the color of the older poulan green, but it just doesn't look right on the plastic ones. So I vote for the full CAMO echo

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CS%20330C%2014

yeah it might get lost if not careful  :D :D :D

Jeff

Quote from: Rocky_J on February 02, 2010, 08:03:21 PM
I think that purple is more your color, Jeff.  8)

I've always had this strong aversion to Barney, so I'm thinking anything purple might be bad. Besides, if I did lose it in the grass, in the sun, for an extended period, it might fade out pink which could cause several of you guys to flip flop towards it as the way to go.

chucker

:D ?? "OH DEERE " ?? ;D
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Mooseherder

I have access to Green Milk Crates. ;D

windthrown

Tha dump!

I had a WildThang that was brand new. I sold it... brand new. Never had the inclinatin to start that thang. No reason to. Purple and lime green. The ex would have loved it. What's a WoodShark? Never heard of one.

Me, I'd get a used stihl 026 for $125 and run with it. Even a beater that has been thrashed to death by a gorilla on a county work crew run on regular ethanol gas and outboard motor premix oil with a clogged up air filter and chipped up plastic with its original spark plug and naked bare metal bar and worn out chain becasue it was run with used motor oil for bar lube would do just fine. I am sure it would spank a WildThing anyway. I bought one just like that for that exact price not too long ago. Its a nice saw now that its been cleaned up and de-carboned, and modified ~just~ a tad.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

thecfarm

If you do buy one,make sure you have a new spark plug in your pocket. A guy at work bought one,run it for a few hours,started to act up,all set to return it,decided to put a new plug in it,been running fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Oh, I really don't care how well it runs. I just want to get one with a cool name and looks good on the road if it falls off my quad.

Reddog

I guess I see you more as a Woodshark, than a Wildthing.

Sprucegum

The most important thing is to get one that throws well. When you are walking through the woods with the saw running and slip on a twig you want to be able to throw it far enough so you don't fall on it.

Go into your local cheap-saw store and grab one off the shelf. Don't bother with the demo, they are always chained down. Get one out of the box and throw it down the aisle as far as you can. If no one gets hurt its a keeper.

Jeff

I dunno.  All in all I think that's a pretty good idea, but I'm thinking going after the chained down ones first might be the way to go, at least in regards to the wildthing. If you find out It has a built in break away feature, all the better. That way if I decided to chain it to my bike, and someone still took it, it would make a better story when I was telling how someone made off with my wildthing.

Cut4fun

Got a new one for you that has a cool name and very vibrate colors. Move over Wild Thing, McCulloch Xtreme 40cc 18-Inch Professional  is here now.  ;D

http://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-18-Inch-Professional-Carrying-MXC1840DK/dp/B000W801ZY

Cut4fun

Reddog

That Mac would clash with his work boots. :-[

Jeff

Yea, but I could always buy some steel toed air jordans that might go with it.

I like the graphics on the bar, that might be a deciding point right there.

John Mc

Oh BUMMER, I really liked the looks of that McCulloch Extreme. My Jonsered 2152 only has a 16" bar, but I see the extreme comes with an 18", so it must be better. Besides, the name "Extreme" must mean it's a hoped up saw, right? But I see they are out of stock and don't know when they'll be available. Darn... guess I'll have to suffer along with what I've got.

Thanks for the link, though. I've got it bookmarked and will keep checking back.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ladylake

Quote from: John Mc on February 04, 2010, 06:27:35 PM
Oh BUMMER, I really liked the looks of that McCulloch Extreme. My Jonsered 2152 only has a 16" bar, but I see the extreme comes with an 18", so it must be better. Besides, the name "Extreme" must mean it's a hoped up saw, right? But I see they are out of stock and don't know when they'll be available. Darn... guess I'll have to suffer along with what I've got.

Thanks for the link, though. I've got it bookmarked and will keep checking back.

What's a hoped up saw? One that you hope that it will run.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

John Mc

Quote from: ladylake on February 04, 2010, 07:31:02 PM
What's a hoped up saw? One that you hope that it will run.   Steve

Oops... I meant hopped up, but maybe hoped up is a better term for this one?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

captain_crunch

Forget The color thing and get either a Sthill or Husky they work day in day out.
Maybe I am biased but In Oregon in the land of 5-6 ft trees these are the ONLY saws you would ever see
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Jeff

FORGET THE COLOR!! ARE YOU MAD??   You been eating too many Crunch Berries there Captain.

Brucer

Here's your answer, Jeff, straight from a major Canadian retailer's advertising for the Wild Thing.

"Wild colours and superb performance will help tame the toughest cutting jobs."

I never knew how important those colours were in getting the job done :D :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ladylake

Jeff 
Just let your wife pick it out , then you'll have the best looking one for sure.    Steve

Jeff

There you would be wrong. If I let her pick it out we'd end up with a stihl or a husky or something mundane like that. Tammy grew up in a junk yard and was earning money taking off carbs starters and radiators when she was 12 years old.

stonebroke

If you want something exotic why don't you buy one of those chinese knockoffs?

Stonebroke

boobap

QuoteIf you want something exotic why don't you buy one of those chinese knockoffs?

get one of those blue ones from northern equipment...you would think they would sale "good saws"!  ???

ladylake

McCulloch Extreme .  Of course they're out of stock, hard to keep anything that good in stock.   Steve

Jeff

Quote from: boobap on February 07, 2010, 06:19:03 PM
QuoteIf you want something exotic why don't you buy one of those chinese knockoffs?

get one of those blue ones from northern equipment...you would think they would sale "good saws"!  ???

I will never buy anything from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. Never. I don't care what it is or what the price.

limbrat

I havent bought nothing from there in a while, expecialy not a logrite knock off. But i will admit it was a pain making a new high limb saw with my little break and hammer.

geaux ahead saints
ben

John Mc

Quote from: Jeff on February 07, 2010, 09:56:21 PM
I will never buy anything from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. Never. I don't care what it is or what the price.

Ever notice how everything that's got a review on their site ends up rated 4.5 out of 5 stars or better? Most are around 4.8 - 5 out of 5. Either they've got a whole bunch of customers who are easily fooled, or someone is editing out the bad reviews.

Jeff

They have no ethics.

des170stihl

Quote from: Jeff on February 02, 2010, 07:54:38 PM
I'm turning to the pros on this one.  I'm thinking about a new saw and wondering which would be best.  I imagine you all may tried both and probably have strong opinions on a choice, and you are probably all going to jump on me for posting another which saw is better thread, but hey, some people live on the edge. 

I'm looking for power, but in a light weight. I think green would be a good color as it would look cool with my orange chaps.  I dont want something so big that I can't get it in and out of my milk crate I haul on my bike, but I dont want it so small that I lose it in the tall grass either.

So, what should I pick.  The woodshark, or the wildthing?

I love this board. :)
Your Kiddin , right
STIHL MS170* STIHL MS260 Pro* STIHL MS 230* ECHO CS 341* Husky 339 XP * Wallenstein 20 Ton Splitter* Massey Ferguson 1528 w/Grapple ( Skidder Wanna Be ).

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

ladylake

Jeff ,What's you list of canidates so far?  I'd think there's only 1 or 2 that might fit all of your requirements .   Steve

John Mc

Quote from: des170stihl on February 14, 2010, 11:32:30 PM
Your Kiddin , right

Apparently, some responders haven't quite figured that out yet.

Jeff

Mebby I'll just send this one in for a tune up.

Sprucegum

Well....It has most of the colors you need but you better plug the holes in the bar or you will lose all your sawdust  ::)

ladylake

That saw has to be at least 20 years in the future.   Steve

Warbird

Jeff, if you get the Wild Thing then you'll have your own themed love song to commemorate the special relationship between a man and his saw.  "Wild Thing, I think I love you..."   

smiley_fiddler  smiley_alcoholic_01

Jeff

Quote from: Sprucegum on February 15, 2010, 07:35:08 PM
Well....It has most of the colors you need but you better plug the holes in the bar or you will lose all your sawdust  ::)
That was designed into it by PETA. Its a grub escape port.

Brucer

Jeff, if you're going to send it in for a tune-up, you'd better send along the manual. I've got a friend who can translate it for you ;D ;D.

Jeff

My Chainsaw guy only speaks Yooper and goes by the name of Chet. :)

Brucer

Dang! My translator guy is only tri-lingual ... French, English, and Russian. Guess I can't help you :(.

Red 93 L1 #3383

I bought my toddler a Craftsman for Christmas.  No need to mix gas, runs on AA batteries.  Tool free chain adjuster, 9" bar, rubber safety chain requires no bar & chain oil.  I'd put this little saw against the Wild Thing anyday. 
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Fatcougar

OK, had to bump this one up..... I wonder what Jeff finally went with.... :D
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

JohnG28

This was a good one. :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fatcougar

Just read the link above from Chet..... that sucks, I totally hate thieves...... >:(
     This old post aint so funny now..... >:(
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

WmFritz

Stihl glad you pulled this one back up, Fatcouger.  I never gave it much thought to buy a saw to match my chaps. What a novel idea.

Does anybody make a camouflage colored splitting maul  so it matches my Carharts?   ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Fatcougar

Lol... there IS some pretty funny stuff in there.  :D
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

MattJ

I was reading this as I am looking to replace the two poulan wildthings I have.  They have never run great, loose tension immediately, take 10min and two tools to change a chain on,... and reliably stall whenever you are right at the critical point of dropping a tree or bucking a log.  One item I think might be underestimated with paying for quality is that quality also greatly increases the safety level of a fairly dangerous piece of equipment.  Every time my neighbor comes over and loans me his Husky farm boss (he feels sorry for me with my ridiculous chainsaws) it makes me wonder what I was ever thinking buying that POS.  Huge amounts of wasted time trying to fix them and they are dangerously unreliable.  Great feeling having two non-running saws with 90% of a hinge cut.  On top of it I bought them both from the #1 hated company on this forum, the one with all the 4.8/5 ratings mentioned earlier.  Lessons learned.

MattJ

Sorry mixed Stihl and Husky, the neighbors is a Husky Rancher.  Wonderful saw

Thank You Sponsors!