iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A weekend project

Started by Don K, February 02, 2010, 02:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

I have a project coming up this Saturday (hope the weather is nice) that I want to complete before I get back on the woodshop. I am building my grandson Jay one of those outdoor fort/swing play areas. He loves to swing and climb and we would spend many enjoyable hours together playing on it. Anyway, I had a bunch of cedar logs and said hey, why buy one when I can build it myself. ;) ;D I can buy the swings,slide and other goodies and put them on.

I sawed the lumber I needed from the plans a few weeks ago and yesterday I cut it to the needed lengths, planed it and rounded the edges on the router table for little hands. I stacked it on sticks on the front porch in the shade until I build it and get some waterseal on it. I wish it would keep its color as cedar is a beautiful wood but alas I know it will eventually fade. Due to it being cedar I know it will be around for a long time.

I'll post on the progress this weekend.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

fishpharmer

Guess your gonna say I'm too big to play on it?

Don't answer that. :D ;)  I wouldn't do that to Jay. ;D

Someone's gonna be the bestest PawPaw ever.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Nice stickered cedar.  ;D Will be following along as usual.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Looks like a good project.

Good stickering job....but lacks the support under the center column of stickers.  :)  All should transfer down to something solid.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don K

It's only temporary until Sat. I think on such a short span that I won't have to worry about any warping. I'll keep an eye on it though. ;)

Don

James, I'm putting up swing hangers with 350 lb cap. and heavy duty swings. You think I'm gonna miss the chance to swing with him. ;D 8) 8) I want it to hold up to anything we can dish out. :D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

At school we used to swing so high we could look over the top of her. Once in awhile the chain got slack on the way back down. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don K

Yeah, that used to make me pucker a little. :D :D

Don

Woodcarver

In country grade school we would bail out of the swing to see how far away we could land.  Had to judge the arc just right.  At the point where the chain began to develop slack you had gone too far.  Tended to come straight down.  Height but no distance.  Made for a tough landing, too.  :o
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

SwampDonkey

I remember doing the bailing out into snow drifts.

DonK, now that your back from R&R in Amsterdam, I was wondering how the swinging is? ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Cool, (the way you changed the subject)......... just can't do that with ropes.....bt, dt   :o  (or tried)   ;D

Never thought of using stiff poles or pipes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I did not realize that those were poles until the guy defied gravity.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on February 11, 2010, 06:41:34 PM
I did not realize that those were poles until the guy defied gravity.

What!!? He's not superman? :D :D

Don K

donk, I actually took some pics the other day while it was wet from the rain but have been on nights and haven't down loaded them yet. I basically have all the wooden part done, just waiting on the IRS to send my money so I can buy the slide,swings,canopy and other various hardware. I will try to get a better pic tomorrow, hopefully with snow on it.

Don

Don K

I finished the swing set and Jay got to see it the first time Sat. I would have to say we both enjoyed it very much.

Jay hamming in the upper area.

He loved the slide.

Teaching him how to swing. Yes the sings are rated for 350 lbs. Grandaddy has to swing too. ;D

I love red cedar. It is a good outdoor wood.

I hope Jay gets many years of fun out of this. I will fill the sandbox in the bottom when the weather warms.

Don

Mooseherder

fishpharmer

Don, you the bestest grandpa ! 8) 8)

Turned out great.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Radar67

Looks like the chickens will have fun watching both of you play too. That looks great.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don K

Speaking of chickens, Terry. I lost my last old yellow hen from the original flock. She is the one that loved to follow me and grab grasshoppers I stirred up. I was kinda sad this morning when I found her. :(

Don

Warbird

Very nice work, Don.  That has to be one of the most heartfelt and coolest granddad gifts I've ever seen.

SwampDonkey

I hope the little guy continues to enjoy his new play ground. So many I see around the country just sitting there waiting for a kid to swing or slide.  :-\

Don, do you have a fox or marten problem around the chickens?

WDH

Well done!

You might need a cover for the sandbox if you have cats.  Don't ask me how I know this :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

He doesn't need a cover for the sand box, cats don't mind using wet sand.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

You are right!  And to think that I wasted all that time taking off and putting on that cover  :)  ::).

Norm

Very cool!

Who did you end up getting the non wood parts from Don?

metalspinner

Great looking playset, Don!  The little one is going to enjoy that for years. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Don K

Norm, I bought some stuff at Home Depot, canopy, HD swing hangers and HD swings and I bought the slide,stairs and small stuff at Marvins, a chain hardware that opened in T'ville recently.

Danny, the sandbox will have a two piece lid to keep out the cats and leaves.

Don

Thank You Sponsors!