Sponsors:

Sigidi's new 10" Lucas

Started by sigidi, February 01, 2010, 11:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

Yeah you all read right.....

I got a new 10" Lucas 8)

I'm over the moon - pics to come.

Now I don't know exactly what to do with my model 6-18....
Always willing to help - Allan

Tom

To use an old, sometimes off-color, saying from the Southern USA, "You're in High Cotton."  :D

sigidi

Bummer Tom, ya vid wouldn't play - told me it had content blocked for my country:(

Tom

I dont know how to select videos that would be shown in Australia, but the group is Alabama and the song is High Cotton.   Perhaps you can search a venue that will play it.  There are covers of the song on youtube, but, as can be expected, they aren't as good as the performance of the artist who made it popular. :)

sigidi

Ok, I'll look it up Tom:D

Looked it up - is this the same ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSTp-EAkCcs

Tom

fishpharmer

Sigidi, congrats on the new mill.  We do expect some pictures ;).
Hate you missed such a good music video.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sigidi

Can you tell I'm a bit excited?

That's what I saw at the local transport company when I went to pick up my new baby and inside;

A heap-o-goodies!! Just like Christmas in January

All on the truck and ready to drive home. When I got home it was a bit later in the afternoon aound 1600hrs, I parked out the front, Wifey and I sat on the front verandah, having a chat about my new baby... well it was so shiny, Wifey was getting sunburnt so I had to resort to;

chucking a drop cloth over it to help Wifey see a bit better ;D

sigidi

So next evening, I got some time to have a little play... it started to get dark, so I managed to get the carriage up onto the new front verandah - I got a couple of those looks; you married fella's would know, the kind of look where you're not totally sure if you are in trouble for bringing machinery onto the new front verandah or if it's a look of quite understanding from a Wife who has experienced your sawmill addiction for quite awhile...

It took a bit of work, but I got it on the front verandah and more importantly under lights so I could play with it much longer than daylight afforded me...

I got to work putting together the bits which had to be removed for shipping; such as the carriage brake, swing over handle, air filter, side shift winder handle, bits and bobs.. oh fill the battery aswell.
Once I had got everything put together ( I was so excited the night before, I couldn't sleep and ended staying awake until 0437 so I read through the manual's) I decided to turn it over. I Left the blade off in case I broke something.
Here's where it gets funny; I look for the throttle lever, can't find it where it is on my 6-18, I have a bit of a general look around - nothing seems to look like the throttle lever I'm familiar with. I see the 'emergency stop button' and the old hare and tortoise picture thing, but no throttle lever next to it. So I look in the Kohler manual, ( you can see the manual sitting on the decking in the last pic) the throttle lever in the manual clearly isn't in the same place on mine?? so after something close to 30min I decide I'll look at the linkages from the carby and work backwards... turns out what I was looking at as purely the emergency stop button and brake assembly is the DanG throttle control as well :-[  What a greenhorn!

I get it fired up!! Whoohooo 8) The boss (I call Wifey the boss when I'm getting or going to get in trouble) comes out and swiftly stops me from playing anymore - its after 2200hrs ;D

So some of the things I found and liked as improvements on my 6-18 model;

The gearbox - I recently replaced the gearbox in my 6-18 (about 6 months ago) I had worn a seal on the driveshaft and it was leaking oil, I found continually topping up and checking the oil level a bit tiresome. the new gearbox comes with a dipstick;

makes it very easy to check gearbox levels

Carriage brake - other Lucas owners (if you regularly grease your carriage brake - the PVC bit) will know what I mean with this one. The little 13mm bolt at the bottom of brake;

Not the best picture (mobile phone at night) but you get the idea. This little bolt is held into the battery tray, so you don't have to try and clear out all the sawdust between the battery and the bolt head, then try and get a second 13mm spanner on the end of it to stop it turning while you have another 13mm spanner on the nut trying to loosen it to adjust the carriage brake. A very simple/subtle difference but one which will help owners/operators perform routine maintenance more often.

Something I have to do is adjust my milling 'flow' - I already scared the $#!? out of myself. I'm so used to my 6-18 after more than 5 years flipping the blade, slicing off piece after piece of timber, when I first went to flip the blade from horizontal to vertical all was good, nice smooth movement, not too heavy - great. Then I go to flip it back to horizontal - it just jams, locks up on me, I can't flip the blade over....!! Oh crikey, have I left a spanner down there and got it wedged or something? I'm scared!!
Two seconds after nearly needing an ambulance I realise the swing over handle slides in behind the catch bolt and I need to ease it back toward the operator before trying to flip the blade back to horizontal - Phew!

So as long as I can handle these early fear/terror/thoughts of "did I break something?!" I'm definitely going to be enjoying milling like new all over again.

Dakota

Sigidi,
DanG, now you got me thinking about an upgrade.  Good write up. 
Dakota
Dave Rinker

ErikC

That will make you a happy guy. I guess you could sell your other one, or have a backup. Never hurts to have backup as far as I'm concerned.  ;D
We want to see it in some big old tough logs next...... :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

BillBrooks

Looks like you will be busy don't have to much fun.
Do you plan on selling your old mill?
No I wish you lived closer to me.

Part_Timer

Congrats on the new mill, that is one serious machine.  I imagine that you'll have to get some help if your going to move much 10x lumber. 
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

sigidi

Thanks all for ya congrats.

Dakota, I have high expectations with this one - I've been trying to work a way of getting one from the second I heard they where even thinking of making it:) I'm think by the time I get to have a proper play and tell ya how everything goes - you'll be thinking hard ;D

Eric, I'm still undecided with the 6-18... will let ya know though.
Oh don't worry I wanna see it in a log too!! can't wait to make some sawdust 8)

Bill, the way our $ is stacking up at the moment it sure is nice to get chainsaws and the like from over there and have them sent back down under -dunno if it'd work so nice back your way though ???

Part_Timer yeah she's a serious looking machine hey! The blade looks HUGE compared to my 6-18's blade ;D

When I picked it up at the transport depot, I was really surprised how 'light' it was to pick up the one end of the carriage as compared to my 6-18 (Wifey said it was all the adrenalin I had coursing through my veins ;D) but on trying the two next to each other, the model 10 is lighter to pick up the one end. Even though the engine/sawblade/gearbox are all much bigger I think Lucas have moved the tyres a little and it has altered the balance in the operators favor or the longer carriage (around 300mm, 12") adds a bit more leverage to make it easier to handle.

Mind you 10" square posts would be mongrels to move, having said this I did 14" posts with my 6-18...https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41844.0.html

bandmiller2

Tom as us yanks would say ole Sigy's in tall clover.Allen I'am glad for you, more power, bigger wheel and that new mill smell life doesn't get much better than that. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Allan Congrats on the new 10-30 you wont know yourself  ;) You earnd it mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) Did you grab another frame for th 6-18 while you where at it it looks like you have a spare frame there in the pic  ;) and what extras did you get  ??? you could keep the old one as a dedicated slabber  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Bill they are still cheaper there than they are here from looking at Baileys site Mate  ;) $9724 for a 6-18 ,$14995 for an 8-30 and $16995 for a 10-30 which i think is a bargan for what your getting Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

sigidi

Super bummed out :(

Still haven't got to play with my new Lucas yet!!!

A combination of a heap of wet weather, scarcity of logs, the boss wanting building done on the house and now..... Valentines Day

I thought I was going well, I had a plan this weekend; I checked the weather looked fine for most of the weekend, so I decide to help out Wifey, she's on a bit of a tidy up thing at the moment, so I get out with the brushcutter, do some mowing, clear out a bunch of timber from the front yard, we move a couple of old cars from the front yard, get into my log pile area cutting down the tall grass which has sprung up; must have been around 6 hours just doing the front yard, both of us - all in the hope of earning some credit to play with my new mill on Sunday.....

I overheard a phone call Wifey was havin and it hit me like a scud missile hitting my hot air balloon of Sunday milling hope...... Sunday is DanG Valentines Day!!!!

So still not playing with the new mill yet :(

hogs4hobby

congrats on your new lucas mill.  i also moved up from a 618 to the 1030. i love mine. night & day differance between the 618 & 1030. the major differance that i found with mine is that you really have to keep a good flow of water going to the blade. the bigger blade will walk 7 cut some lumber that will put you into state of depression when the water flow stops. i cut mostly souther yellow pine & old power poles. and the lack of water has the same affect in both. i also use a cheap comercial grade dish washing soap in my water on every thing. when a saw the pine i use pine sole with the soap to keep the sapp from building up on my blade.
          my blades seem to last 3 times as lomg on the 1030 as they did on the 618. they seem to cut 4ever if you stay out of the trashy logs. its alos a little harder on the petrol than the 618. when i sawed with the 618 i could two days on 5 gal but with the 1030 if im gonna saw allday i will need 10 gal.
   i would not trade my 1030 for any other mill i love it.

sigidi

Hey Hogs, great to meet you ;D

I was thinking Meadows Miller and myself where the only Bo Derek Swingers around here ;) :D (I've officially named my Lucas 10-30 Bo Derek in honor of what some called "the perfect 10!")

Great to hear your input on the saw 8) I'm still bummed not made a single shred of sawdust yet and I'm goin into week 5 soon!!! we've had over 7" of rain over the last 3 days and rain just about all last month.

On my 6-18 I'd get two days and some change from 20l of fuel so around the 5 gal - wouldn't know about Bo, she hasn't cut yet :-[

I always run water and dish soap on my blades down here - I like using the citrus based ones to try and keep build-up off the blade, so that sounds all the same.

Great to hear someone loves their Lucas almost as much as me :o ;D

DanG

Sigidi, H4H slipped in on you while you were vacationing in Absentia.  Here's a little write-up about his mill:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,38640.0.html

I've run Brdmkr's 618 before, and watched H4H run his 1030.  I can be confident that you're gonna be extremely pleased! ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

brdmkr

Quote from: DanG on March 02, 2010, 10:07:19 AM

I've run Brdmkr's 618 before, and watched H4H run his 1030.  I can be confident that you're gonna be extremely pleased! ;)

Now DanG, don't you start making me want an upgrade!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

You can't BS an old BSer, Mike.  We all know you already want to upgrade. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

taschmidretired

YEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! HAWWWWWWWWWW!
Don't forget to go to bed tonight.  T A
"Until I had turned Thirty Five, the longest I had ever stayed in one place was my Mother's womb."

"Beware of the man that shoots his arrow first, and then paints a bulls eye around it after."

sigidi

Brdmkr, the 6-18 is a real sweet machine hey? I have been in love with mine for nearly 6 years - was a really hard decision to find a new home for it, but reality had to set in; once I had the 6-18 and the 10-30 I had to acknowledge I couldn't push both of them at the same time >:( I tired to come up with a few ways, but just couldn't do it :-[ So Larry the Lucas is looking for a new home Adan Bo Derek will stay 8)

As soon as I get a chance to make some sawdust :'( :-X y'all be the first to know about it 8)

As DanG said, we all know you want one!! and DanG thanks for that link... I really like the setup you've got over there Luke, especially that grab on ya tractor :o

hogs4hobby

sigi, if you are not hurting for the extra cash, i would not part with the 618 until after u make several piles of saw dust with the 10-30. i sold my 618 2 months prior to purchasing the 10-30. dont get me wrong i love my 10-30 but there is sometimes i wish i still had my 618. if you are always going to saw bigger lumber & bigger logs you will not need the 618. but in the smaller logs & smaller lumber the 618 is the cats azz.

sigidi

H4H - not so fussed about the cash, more about got nowhere to put it :( and got no way of pushing it :o

Although I do have a job coming up with 250sqm (300sqyd) of 4/4x4 to cut as well as a whole heap of structural timber such as 2x8's, step treads and stuff too big for Larry the Lucas. So I figured I'd use Bo for the big stuff and then use Larry to slice out the 4/4x4, so not too fussed about finding a home for it, but if someone pays my asking price then that's cool and I can cut smaller stuff with Bo just as easy as bigger stuff...

Thank You Sponsors!