iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil or Husky??

Started by pappy19, February 01, 2010, 08:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

OK, I'm about to purchase a new good woods saw that will cut 10-15 cords of mine and 15-20 cords that my son-in-law and son will borrow it to cut their 20 cords. During the 1980's and early 1990's I remember my Idaho saw dealer telling me that the Sthils had a bad crank seal problem, but I am sure they have that solved by now. My dealer recommended a Shindawa at the time for the "camp" saw need that I had at the time and it has done me well for 12 years. It never fails to start and cuts 1-2 cords each year with no problem. But now, I have a real wood stove to feed and it will take more than a camp saw, so I am asking which saw is the most popular and why, plus notwithstanding your local dealer/mechanic, if they weren't there, what saw brand would you purchase and what model (with 20-24" bar), and why. Thanks.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WH_Conley

Whichever one I could get dealer support for. Have 2 Stihl dealers close, if they don't have it they will get in less than a week. Have one Husky dealer, doesn't stock much and very hard to get the right part when he does order. My husky's are getting old so this means a lot.

As far as size, kinda a trade off. A saw big enough to do the job, but not too big to carry.

A lot of help aint I ?
Bill

celliott

I know someone is going to say it, but I guess I will be the first.  If you can find a husky 372 xp or stihl ms361, buy them.  These are two legendary saws, and are going out the door with new EPA regulations.  You would not be dissapointed with either one, I am sure.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

beenthere

I say Stihl, because I have Stihl, and I think they are the best. My old Stihl 041 is still a running saw and I bought it in 1975. My MS361 equals this saw and is better anti-vib, and I have owned it for 4 years. I don't think this helps much, but you asked. I have no doubts in my mind that Husky can do just as well on performance and longevity.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pasbuild

I have and use Husky, Stihl, Johnserad, and yes a Poulen so I say get a Ford ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

LeeB

Quote from: pasbuild on February 01, 2010, 10:48:29 PM
I have and use Husky, Stihl, Johnserad, and yes a Poulen so I say get a Ford ;D

I personnaly can't afford a ford. I'll stick with Dodge.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bobus2003

I run 2 '90's Stihl 044's and a 2 year old Stihl 440 Magnum And i love them

poor farmer/logger

Best saw that we ever had was probably the 272 XPG Huskys that we traded off quite a few years ago. Been disapointed with huskies ever since. Had sever 372 XP and XPG and non of them were as good as the 272 that we had. They're harder to start and even harder on fuel. We're runing 365's now and they're still hard to start but they're allot easier on fuel and not a whole lot diferance in power providing you've got a good sharp chain. We were going to buy a stihl the last time we traded off but he had sold out in the size that we wanted. He sells both stihl and husquvarna and he sells more of the stihl then husquavarna. Same suport and parts as it's the same dealer. Says he just has less problems with stihl now.

Ryan

brendonv

I like a stihl.  I have  good dealer, and just like the saws over all.

Husky dealer around here is terrible, and I can't stand their choke and shut off levers.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

JUDGE1162

Husky 372 great saw if you can find one buy it.

I am a husky man so I will say buy a husky but both saws are great, if you are looking to do a lot of your own work on your saw or if you are thinking of any mods to the saw avoid the newer husky saws 400 or 500 series saws as they are not as user friendly and will require a dealer, also modifing either line is very hard to do.

However if you are not looking to modify the saw and you will let the dealer do any major repairs the 400 and 500 series do have their advantages.  I have a 455 and a 575 XP and both are good saws with some of the newer features, the XP saws a nice if you are not a "PRO" since it has a wider powerband and is more forgiving of rookie mistakes
Every time I have some moment on a seashore, or in the mountains, or sometimes in a quiet forest, I think this is why the environment has to be preserved.

groundguy

Up here on the coast of BC  the two big saws are the 372XP and the Stihl 066

I am a Stihl fan,,,,   like Huskies too,,  To me the difference is the Husky can rip faster but may not last as long.  Stihls are a bit heavier, and don't seem to work as hard for their output,,,,  lasting longer. 

ihookem

That's interesting groundguy. You might be right about lasting longer. Some of the huskys just scream according to their specs. I once looked into a 262xp ? cause the specs said 15,500 rpm's. I foolishly got the 026 instead. My 026 is a wimp.

pappy19

What about a Stihl 029 with a 20" bar, extra chain and case for $300?
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

ErikC

It's a pretty good price, 290 is a solid saw, won't impress anyone but it can get a lot of work done. I would want about a bit more if it was my only saw though. That 361 is perfect for guys with your needs. It will cost almost 2x though :-\
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

nmurph

i have stihls, huskies, poulans, macs, homelites and a few other brands, but there is not a better performing saw made than a dolmar 7900. the weight of a 372 (or most 60cc homeowner saws) and lighter than other 70cc pro saws with the power of a 90cc saw. it will run right on the heels, and is smoother than, a 660, stomp a 372 or 576 and beat a 361 like it was a wilidthing. it will pull a 32" bar and can be used for limbing (wouldn't want to everyday, all day for this). they are as well built as any stihl or husky and parts are cheaper if you need them. the dealer network seems to be hit or miss, though you can order parts online and have them at your house the next day. i have to order lots of parts through stihl and husky and often i have to wait longer for them to come. oh yeah, you can buy an 80cc 7900 for about $750 or less if you are willing to buy the 64cc version of the saw, get the 79cc piston and cylinder (~$180) and do the swap (a very simple, one hour job). find a dealer and take a look, or do a search and read the reviews here.

tstex

I have only used Stihl's...do not see too many husky's in this part of the woods [55 miles WNW of Houston].   The first time I ever heard of Huskivarnia was when Paul Harvey used to advertise for them...that was at least 10 yrs or more ago...if you can't get good service or timely parts, you have little in the way of reliability - tstex

nmurph

if you wrench your own saws the internet makes a dealer close by much less important.

timberfaller390

In my opinion Stihl is by far easier to work on.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

captain_crunch

I hate to wade into this but up intil 2000 Huskys ruled the West Coast as far as Timber Cutters were concerend Nobody made a match to the 181 -281 series at pulling 32-36" bars Sthill made a come back with newer models.But here in Oregon cutters pickups have Orange moters hooked to bars.
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

timber tramp

Captain_Crunch,   Don't forget about all the timber cutters using Stihl 044's. I'm a ways northwest of Lorane, and around here the 044 has a serious following. 
  Not to say that Husky does'nt make some good saws, they most definately do.   :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

pappy19

I can get a Husky Rancher 455 with a 20" bar for $420 with free shipping. Thoughts?
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

beenthere

Just one, tell us how it performs for you.    :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

567paloggger

if i was buying a new saw which i do a couple times a year i would go pro model saws i have stihl husky and dolmar i like them all but im really liking this dolmar 5100s and its cheap 435 out the door

quietrangr

If you're deciding between the 372 Husky and the 361 Stihl: I own a 2171 Jred, same saw as the 372, and a 361 Stihl. I ran the Jred for three years at about 125 to 150 hours a month, with nothing more serious than a new clutch needed. I ran my first 361 for two and a half years, needed a clutch, then an oiler, which I'm waiting to get now. While waiting I bought another 361. What made up my mind was going back and forth between the two saws. After an hour, I was glad to get back to the much smoother 361. 2171/372 is 10 cc's bigger, and you notice it, but the 361 is less tiring. I also have had some carb trouble with the 361, needed cleaning more than the Jred ever did. They're both good saws, but I pick the 361 because it's less fatiguing. That's important for us tired old lumberjacks.

peterc38

I like them both but whichever one you get, I wouldn't loan out to your son or son-in-law, let them buy their own  :D
Kubota L4060 Cab
562XP
371XP
346XP
Fiskars "Super Splitter"
Logrite 60" Peavey
Huskee 22 ton splitter
2 Great Danes

Thank You Sponsors!