iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Idea for more intelligent EC controller (less Taco run time)

Started by Chuckolicious, January 31, 2010, 09:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckolicious

I've been thinking about the need for a more intelligent controller.  Right now, at least with my type of setup, I have 2 Taco pumps running 24/7, one of them being the larger type.  Many users report a good $30 monthly increase in their electric bill, which will only increase as rates increase.  Some users even choose to shut down for the summer as the savings in oil or gas for hot water is overshadowed by the electricity usage from the pumps.

So here's my idea:

Controller is connected to the zone pumps in the house such that it knows when any are calling.  Maybe tied into the house zone controller box or something.

It also has a temp sensor at the house boiler or is tied into the house boiler's controller box so it knows what temp the house boiler is at.

Basically, the Tacos associated with the outdoor boiler would shut off when the inside boiler hits the desired temp and no house zones were calling.  If a house zone calls, both Tacos turn on.  If there is a long period of no house zone calls, the large Taco at the outdoor boiler would still run for 1 minute out of every 30, or something like that.  That would offer freeze protection and boiler cold water shock protection but still offer large savings in electricity.  This part could be user disabled in the summer so the Tacos basically never run unless there was call for hot water.

A system like this would drastically reduce electricity consumption, somewhat reduce wood consumption, and increase the lifespan of the Tacos.  My EC2300 is already pretty much computer controlled, so going this seemingly small extra step appears to be logical, unless those who are more experienced than me can poke holes in my idea?

muckamuck

I looked into that when I was installing.  I think there is a taco relay board that has a 'pump exercise' option on it so you could control it from the house system but I think you have to install extra control wires in the trench.  I did that by using what is called water sprinker wires (small gauge wires sort of like themostat wires that are designed to be buried).  In the end I did not go with the extra controller.  My plumber and I looked at the charts and decided we could get by with a slightly smaller hp taco pump at the woodboiler which cut energy use quite a bit and I still get all the heat I need in the house and the less complex the better.  I do not run my woodboiler in summer as it is not worth the smoldering smoke issues, my town wouldn't like it and it does not save that much for DHW and frankly, I could use a break from the loading and cleaning of the beast so summer is my vacation time.  I'm saving money in the winter and that's good enough.

pineywoods

If you get serious about custom controller, you might tough base with member shaworth. He's doing some nice stuff with custom controllers .
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SPIKER

There are a good number of inexpensive programmable controllers on the market, these are basically PLCs with 4 to 8 I.O. so that you can program it to turn on at intervals or when heat is called for.   Easy to do and they are less than 100 bucks for the controllers, some can be had with thermostats inputs so you can read several temps and make appropriate on-off cycles of pumps or dampers ect.
Check "factorymation"  for one and of course EVIL BAY.  search for "EZ-LOGIX" too  most of them can be had with free download software to program from a PC/Laptop but you may have to buy a cable. others use standard USB cables and most can be ordered with keyboard & screen on the front of them for direct programming on them.

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!