iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

boil that cabbage down

Started by Tom, January 30, 2010, 11:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu77tX7uDvc

I was talking to fishpharmer Thursday, about a pot of cabbage I was making for myself, with smoked country sausage in it.   He said, "That sounds good.  I'm going to make me some too".

And, he did.

Mooseherder

What's Gilligan doin' in Mayberry? :D
Did He finally got off the Island? ;D

Tom

He worked at the filling station in Mayberry, as Gomer Pyle, on the Andy Griffith Show, before he went into the Marines.

Jeff

Quote from: Tom on January 31, 2010, 12:13:52 AM
He worked at the filling station in Mayberry, as Gomer Pyle, on the Andy Griffith Show, before he went into the Marines.

No, that was Jim Nabors that was Gomer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

LeeB

I like my cabbage fried in a skillet with the sausage and some onions but that looks mighty good too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

I found it!   I found it!   I knew I would if I kept lookin'.   Y'all forget all about that Gomer Pyle stuff I said before.  I found out why Bob Denver was on Andy Griffith.  You can read it too, if you look up "The Darling's" on google.

The Darlings were a mountain family, headed by Denver Pyle, that played the music.  They always showed up in Mayberry with some kind of problem that would put Andy to task.   The Boys in the family were really the members of the band, The Dillards.  Charlene, Maggie Peterson, was the sister and kept everyone on their toes.  She ended up Marrying and having a kid.  The original "husband" was replaced by Bob Denver when he was in between Doby Gillis and Gilliagan's Island. 

QuoteDudley A. "Dud" Wash — Charlene's fiance and later husband, Dud had served three years in the U.S. Army where he achieved the rank of Private First Class. He had been betrothed to Charlene since the age of five. Dud was originally portrayed by Hoke Howell as a well-mannered country boy. However, in Dud's final appearance, episode #121, "Divorce Mountain Style", Howell was curiously replaced by Bob Denver. Denver's portrayal was more along the lines of a wily, scrappy mountain man, akin to Ernest T. Bass, in contrast to Dud's original "good ol' boy" persona (though his irrational behavior could be attributed to his wife's attempting to leave him for Andy Taylor).

That piece of a paragraph came off of the Wikipedia article about the Darlings.

pineywoods

Now Tom, you know you ain't supposed to be eatin that sort of good stuff. Just go ahead and cheat a little now and then, we won't tell  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

It sure was good.  If I knew Tom was gonna post it on here I would have used a better pot and cleaned up the stove top. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Norm

Coon

My ancestors would've called that "na kapustium" which is actually ukrainian for boiled cabbage.  :D  Looks like you got a good helping of kolbasa in there too.  Did you remember to put in sabooya and chusnic?   :D 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

fishpharmer

Kolwhatsa?  Just good old smoked deer sausage.  What's the difference between Kolbasa and regular smoked sausage?  (besides the name?).

There we go again.............learning something new on Forestry Forum.   8)
Na Kapustium.........very interesting.  Now I have a tough time getting my kids to eat "boiled Cabbage".   I'm not sure if your name is any more appealing. :D

I enjoyed the the "Boil Them Cabbage Down" video as much as Tom's cabbage recipe.

My daughter didn't know what Gilligan's Island was, nor Gilligan.  My wife watched it twice before I had to tell her that was Bob Denver.

Norm, I believe that's the prettiest thing I ever heard ;)

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

metalspinner

I'm not  a big cabbage fan, but the Andy Griffith Show is my alltime favorate.

The music episodes are at the top of the list, too.  With this one  as one of my favorates...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ2Dw6CVQcg&feature=related

:D :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

fishpharmer

Was that your musical inspiration? :D ;D

You gotta love the Andy Griffith show.

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Coon

Kolbasa has garlic (chusnic) in it.  Around here they call it ukrainian sausage in the stores for the most part.  It is a bit different than the traditional kolbasa.  I am getting ready to make about 50 lbs of the good ol' traditional kolbasa.  Got the casings and grinder ready but waiting for a call to come butcher the hogs.  Sounds like we will be slaughtering 5 or 6 of em one of these days.  ;) 

Brad.

fishpharmer

Now I must try some Kolbasa.  Maybe they have it in the grocery store.

If not, guess I will have to get some from you ;)

WH_Conley

Hey Fish, I have tried it from the store, don't waste your time. Had the good stuff once, can't go back.
Bill

Coon

You guys haven't tried the good stuff yet.  ;)  The good stuff will make your nose hairs curl before you even get it out of the packaging.  :D  Man o man do I ever wish I lived closer to you guys.  I don't think I would have time for wood because I'd be making kolbasa all the time. 

I will post some pics when we get everything kicked into high gear. 

fishpharmer,  around here it ain't a grocery store if they don't sell kolbasa.  ;)

Mooseherder

This is a video of a Store I set up moments before a January 23rd Grand opening.
It'll never look this perfect again. :D
If you pause it on the 20 second mark you'll see a 4ft vertical set of Kielbasa/Smoked Sausage.  I counted at least 36 different varieties all though they are mostly from all the big players like Hillshire Farms, Oscar Mayer, Eckrich and Smithfield along with a few Mom and Pop brands.  There was at least 6 more varieties I didn't work into the set because of duplication.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8lDTbk-GOQ

Norm

OHHHHH MY!

If we had a store like that anywhere near me I'd live in it. ;D

SwampDonkey

I sometimes fry my cabbage, I like onion in it to. ;D I also make boiled dinner with cabbage in with the meat and other veggies. Oh course I make coleslaw to. I still can't figure out why restaurants are so darn mean with the coleslaw around here. The cheepest of cheep for vegetables to make it. You guys sure are something. I'm just glad I can cook. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

Can we get a recipe to go along with the pics Coon? I like making sausage too and am always looking for a good recipe.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishpharmer

Did you see the price of the snow crab legs?  $3.99 I have never seen them that low.  MH do they ship? :D ;D

Norm, I'm with you on the store.

SD,  I don't think I have ever seen fried cabbage either, maybe its like fried green tomatoes, a regional thing, show us some pics.  If any of you ever come visit and there is time we will go eat at Longs Fish Camp, all you can eat catfish and the best coleslaw ever.

LeeB and Coon someday I would like to learn how to make sausage myself, got a few projects in front of that though ;D

Raider Bill

Publix is a great store!

I saw Toms cabbage dish here and couldn't get it out of my mind so I had to make some. This is my version of fried cabbage..........  Bad light and cell phone camera but it was good chewing!

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

Wasn't member Kevin_H a sausage maker? Seems it was he who would get together with a group and have a good time whipping it together.

I'm waiting for about 100# to get "finished" at the sausage maker's shop. Good reminder for me to call.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

We don't have Publix around here. :(

Bill what exactly have you got in there?

LeeB

When I say "fried" it isn't really fried. You cook the sausage and onions in a skillet and then stir in the cabbage and more or less wilt it down in the skillet and the fats from the sausage. Artery choking stuff maybe, but it sure is good.

Tom

QuoteBill what exactly have you got in there?''

I see Sausage, cabbage, corn and green onion tops I think.  What do you see fishpharmer?

SwampDonkey

I fry mine as a vegetable with onion to have with a meat and a baked tater. I fry them enough to carmelize slightly. I don't fry the meat in with it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

Quote from: Tom on February 04, 2010, 04:15:26 PM
QuoteBill what exactly have you got in there?''

I see Sausage, cabbage, corn and green onion tops I think.  What do you see fishpharmer?

I see the same things as you, plus a dark bean looking ingredient.  Maybe lentils?

Looks like something for me to try :)

Y'all talking stir fry, I think in terms of deep fry ;D

Raider Bill

Onion and cabbage fried down in bacon grease, some left over corn, smoked sausage, small teaspoon of sugar, adobo and a can of black beans.

I put the beans in last. I was going to just have fried cabbage and sausage but then changed my mind.

LeeB

I do mine about thedame as Bill but I never put all the extra stuff. I'll have to try it like that. Looks plum tasty.

Raider Bill

Oh forgot garlic.

Then some thick sliced crusty cuban bread slathered with real butter.

Mooseherder

fishpharmer, The snow crab clusters were on at the location only for that first week.  They are on sale this week everywhere for 5.99 lb.   They come in 30 lb cases if you want some. ;)

LeeB

Is that a delivered price? Put me in for a box if it is.

Mooseherder

Y'all can come down for some Sunshine and bring a box back. :)

Coon

I can definately give you guys one of the recipes I use.  But the real question is how much do you like garlic?  The more you put in (up to a certain point) the better it is.  There is alot more to it than just making sausage too.  ;)  I am thinking that a tutorial will be in the works.  I know one thing for sure is that you need one specific variety of wood chips for the smoking process.  I am not exactly sure if this specific willow variety even grows where many of you peeps live.   I find that I have to really look to find it in my travels although I know where a motherload is growing. ;D

Brad.

LeeB

A tutorial would be fantastic. As for garlic, I can eat it all by itself. Good stuff. Now, about this willow, wood that be balck willow?

Coon

nope it would not be.  It's called Diamond Willow but even more importantly it is the selection of the willow used.  I will get more into it as I get the tutorial started.  Will see how the weekend goes and maybe I will go willow hunting/harvesting.

Brad.

WDH

Just give us the recipe.  We will worry about the wood  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coon

Bbbut it wouldn't taste the same.. ;)  Will get ya the recipe.....Warning...  once you try it you'll never be the same.  :D  Guess I gotta start looking through all the recipes I need to find it anyhow.  ;D

Brad.

Trax

I usually fry up some bacon, put it aside & drain off and reserve 1/2 the grease(in case I need a little while frying) . Then I add shredded cabbage, onions and carrots fry it up then crumble the bacon back in We call it Kapusta

Were still waiting for that Kielbasa recipe

LeeB

Thank You Sponsors!