iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just bought a Husky 365

Started by maple flats, January 30, 2010, 03:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

My old Husky 350 needed too much, not worth repairing. Something about a seal on the bottom end that developed a leak and was used too long like that, it caused erosion. End result, I had needed a bigger saw for a while (bigger than my Husky 359) so I bought a 365. Haven't used it yet but will soon. Along with the saw which came with a 20" bar, I needed a big bar for very occasional bucking of BIG logs for my sawmill. I asked about a 32", but ended up with a 34". The 34" Oregon bar with riveted sprocket nose was ordered by the dealer a while back, he meant to order 2 doz 24" bars but ordered 2 doz 34". He does get some call for them but did not want that many so he priced them at $50 each until he gets down to the 2 or 3 he feels is right to inventory. I bought full skip chain for the 34" bar. I only intend to use this bar on rare occasions and only for 1 or 2 cuts. I know this bar is too big to run all day with the 365. I do hope it proves to handle it for the few times I will need it. I have liked and gotten lots of use from the 359. In fact I got a lot of use from the 350, it's main problem is the mentality of the hired man who always used it. I have never given him a hard time and yelled at him for breaking things, but his mentality is or was that I would say he did something wrong with the saw. Therefor he did not tell me it was not running properly until I saw him finish a cut one time and the saw would not idle down, he hit the brake and pulled the choke to kill it. I asked him about it and he said it had been like that for a few weeks. In a nice tone I said he should never use any equipment that is not working properly and he should tell me right away. I am the type to fix or have fixed everything as soon as a problem developes, in this case it may have damaged the saw beyond feasable repair, by using it long enough to erode the parts where the gasket failed. After I got the word about a projected repair cost I again calmly told my hired man that I need to be told as soon as something fails to operate properly and told him why.
Back to the 365, anyone comment on how good this saw is or problems to look for.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Cut4fun

Did you get the 365 special that NY dealer is selling for $499 PHO. I have been fighting the  thought of putting another one on the shelf. Already have 1 set back not seeing use.  8)

JohnG28

I dont personally use one myself, but i know that my uncle runs one on a regular basis, semi pro use, and likes it a lot, believe its his go to saw a lot of the time, he also runs a 359...as for problems I dont know, but im not aware of any issues hes had
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

thumper

i have a jonsered 2165,  a blk/red husky 365..  i love the powerband of this saw , even more than the great  372..   no bogging just shredding right from idle.  husky should still be producing this saw, there one of my favorites.  havnt had any trouble with my machine in any areas. i wish it were a little lighter is all.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

maple flats

I'm not sure if they will still call it a 365, but I was told that it was being upgraded to meet 2010 EPA standards and was still being made. The one I bought was the pre EPA model change. I paid $525 for the saw, might be the same as the $499 but they saw me coming. He told me I bought the 6th one he sold last week and he only had 1 more left. Don't know if he was going to try to get more or if that was the end of supply available.
I tried it with the 20" bar yesterday and it cut noticeably faster than the 359 does. My big question is how it will handle the 34" bar with full skip chain. I am thinking I will fill the bar oil but only fill 1/2 approximately on the gas and will turn the oil to high just to be safe. I read someplace that on a real long bar you use more oil than gas. It didn't make sense to me because it seemed the longer bar would still use the same feet/minute and that should determine the oil use based on the revolutions of the crankshaft but I want to be sure it always has oil. My thing is that I will only use that bar for a few cuts each year, it will not see major use, just for when the 20" can't reach through from both sides. In the past I have had to waste wood on a few occasions when I cut a log and had to work my way in to get it all by removing a wedge big enough to fit the housing in far enough to reach the middle from 2 sides. That was time consuming and a waste of log. I even had to do it once in front of a customer which required some explaining. Now I won't need to do that.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Mark K

If you take it easy and dont push it, you'll be fine. I have a 36" bar for doing yard trees. Ran it on a 372 a couple of years ago and it was slow but did fine in sugar maple. I ended up buying an old 2100 for big trees. Dealer out side of New london was selling them for around $500 I believe. I'm there usually every other week getting supplies, last week had a friend with me that ended up walking out with a used 372 for $450. Was used by a homeowner for a month and traded back in for a smaller saw. Can hardly tell it was used.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

JohnG28

Is that New London, NY, outside of Rome?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Mark K

Ya, Kahler's is out there. Great dealer, stands behind what he sells. My newest 385 had problems, dropped it off and he gave me a loaner to run.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

JohnG28

Ok, thats good to know, I stopped there a while back while debating what saw to purchase, its on route 46, eventually got a stihl 361 from Ace in Rome, only place I could find one around, Im from Rome, live outside Utica now....I did like that shop, they were the only place that wasnt charging different prices for different bar lenghts with saws, seemed like a straight up shop, Ill look to them for needs in the future, thanks

barbender

I always thought the 2165/365 had more low end grunt than the 2171/372, a little bit easier of a saw to run. Jonsered used to advertise them as a hardwood saw because of the lower power band.
Too many irons in the fire

woodsrunner

Quote from: barbender on February 02, 2010, 08:53:08 PM
I always thought the 2165/365 had more low end grunt than the 2171/372, a little bit easier of a saw to run. Jonsered used to advertise them as a hardwood saw because of the lower power band.

I have a 362xp special (very similar saw, same family) I am very impressed with. I agree it is a more torquey feel than the 372xp. The 365/362xp saws are real sleepers in the Husqvarna lineup.

Scott

maple flats

That is where I bought the 365. Over the past several years I have bought several saws, power scythes (stihl), a rototiller, and some other things. They know how to service everything they sell and he stands behind it. Word of caution, don't but a saw from a big box store and ask him to repair it, if you bought elsewhere he likely refuses to work on it, i've been in there when guys brought other store's problem equipment in, he says- get it fixed where you bought it. He is online, gksales.net    Right now he is expanding his shop, likely adding at least double the sales space and he has several full time mechanics out back. Good man. He has a booth at the NYS woodsmans every year, had one at the show in West Virginia last year, and goes to several others each year.

maple flats

Mark K

I buy most my saws there, usually 1 a year and spend about 3k a year on chains and supplies. Good place to get skidder chains and cable too. I remember when I first started going there with my father, it was about a 10'x 10' store, he's done well with that business. 
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

JohnG28

MarkK, what do you do, if you dont mind me asking?  Do you run a tree service or business?  I ask because I am interested in getting into some form of tree business as a secondary income.   I work full time for the state, and am a college student, but was wondering what is available in the area, thanks for any info... :)

Mark K

I own a logging business and run a woodmizer lt40 during mud season and in my off times. Right now I'm logging just outside of Floyd, if your in the area swing in.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Ironmower

I bought a used 365 last summer. I run a 20" bar normally, but also run a 28" bar with a full-skip tooth on some bigger trees. it handled it fine, just let the saw cut. I just modded the muffler on it, a month ago. That really brought'er up to snuff.

Before I modded the muffler, I preffered my modded 036, that has changed now, my husky rides shotgun. 
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Bret4207

I bought a used 365 a couple years back. I was looking for a 266 but the guy sold me this. I'm not impressed. Even with the 16" bar it lacks the 266's guts. It also doesn't balance good. I just put in a carb kit which I hope will solve some issues, but that remains to be seen. I'd take a 266xp over the 365 any day of the week.

Cut4fun

Wish I had that running 266xp PHO I sold for $40, we could have traded. I love my 365 special.
Do you have the special or the other 365. Difference in the type cylinder used.

maple flats

I'm still not seeing any opinions on whether a 365 Special will handle a 34" bar and full skip chain for occasional use. Looking for comments please.

Rocky_J

Quote from: maple flats on March 07, 2010, 08:10:14 PM
I'm still not seeing any opinions on whether a 365 Special will handle a 34" bar and full skip chain for occasional use. Looking for comments please.
You're the one with the saw and the bar. Does it work?  ???

Cut4fun

Anything is possible I guess.  hardwoods or softwoods? It would be slow going at best I bet for a cut or two. Least the oiler on the 365 could keep up.   I sure wouldnt want to do it with a 34".

For chit and giggles once I ran a 32" full skip on a MS361 for 1 or 2 cuts in softwood spruce just to see. Oiler was to stingy on it and would have had to be upgraded.

jpad_mi

I picked up a 32inch bar and skip tooth chain from Bailey's for my Jonsered 2065 (I believe it is the same as the 2165/365) to help a buddy take down a big maple. I was surprised how well it pulled, even with the bar buried. There was oil on the chain, but there wasn't much. I think your 34inch will be fine for occasional use. I am an average joe, not an expert...

Jeff P. in Michigan

barbender

I used to run a 24" bar on a 2165, it did fine.

barbender

I don't know about a 34" though, that's a lot of bar. I'm sure it would pull it for a couple of cuts, but if was just a couple of cuts I'd nip it from both sides with a shorter bar.

Thank You Sponsors!