iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Capstan yarding

Started by bandmiller2, January 30, 2010, 08:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Have any of you guys tried using a capstan on the back of a tractor to yard out logs to the wood road.By capstan I mean the rotating drum where you throw a couple of rope turns and control by pulling the rope?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

timberfaller390

I haven't tried it but sawmill and woodlot had an article on it. Are you wanting to buy a capstan and attatch it to the drawbar or build a pto 3 point hitch rig?
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

bandmiller2

Timberfella,I was considering three point hitch I've got a gearbox and a capstan head.Was just concerned if you can get enough traction on the drum to move logs.Frank C.

KyTreeFarmer

Bandmiller

Great idea! They advertise those chainsaw powered capstan winches for yarding so why wouldn't tractor work as well. We used to pull heavy cables with rope and a capstan and never had any problems. You got me wanting to rig up one now. Looks like a trip to the junkyard is in order. Would it need the gearbox? How about sketch of what you have in mind.

Timberfaller, do you remember what issue that article was in, I can't remember it.

KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Kevin

Capstans have been around a long time and work well.

http://www.bloommfg.com/

Paul_H

Heres a link to a steam donkey with a capstan winch in 1881 with a brief history of it's inventor and a old photo.

Link

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

bandmiller2

KTF,your right I never thought about that chainsaw capstan.What I was thinking about is a auto rear end ,tractor PTO driving the pinion shaft  shorten and lock one side of the rear end mount drum on the outher.Three point hitch mount ,feet to lower it on the ground and a bar in the back so you could back it agenst a tree so you won't pull the tractor back.A capstan gives you alot of control if the log hangs on something just slack off your rope.KTF I can't even post pictures let alone drawings.Frank C.

timberfaller390

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the friction you need. Think of it like a skidder winch that does not have the line mounted to the drum. Alot of guys do it for safety purposes, you just hit freespool and the load runs out and there is nothing connecting it to the machine. The friction from a few wraps on the drum is what gives the line it's pulling power. I think the design you mentioned wood work but one suggestion I would make is on your car rear end leave the brake drum on the opposite side from the capstan and attache an old master cylinder. This will work as a clutch. The capstan will not turn unless the brake is engaged. This would be another safety device and a way to stop the capstan without having to disengage the tractor PTO. The same setup was used to make the winch that operated the old side loader log trucks.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

LeeB

Be careful of what size rope you use. Make sure you have enough pulling strength and also be aware that if the rope breaks one end is coming to see you in a big hurry. Capstans work great. We used to use the all the time in the oilfield and frequently lifted several thousand pounds using 1 1/8" manila rope. We use air tuggers now and rarely use the cathead any more.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

schmism

you should be able to use synthetic winch line to achieve very high pulling forces (much higher than typical rope)

check this out
http://www.advancedconstructionproducts.com/capstan.htm

039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

zopi

might mount a hydraulic motor and run it off the tractor hydraulics...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jimparamedic

Here is my logging set up. Its a tulsa wench 1/2 in cable and I use the cat heads to move logs also works good to get the dig logs on the log bunks

The main thing to keep in mind is that the cat head should turn slow under 100 rpm  if you are not careful the rope will walkon top of its self and than you can get in a bind

bandmiller2

Jim,thats quite an activity center you've got there.Your right on the rope climbing over itself ,you couldn't release it.A small wire cable running from under the tractor clutch to an overcenter lever on the winch would be safe and handy to help free spool that winch, they don't like to release with a load on them.Frank C.

Kevin

Quoteif you are not careful the rope will walk on top of its self and than you can get in a bind

You should have a fairlead on each side to capture and direct the rope in and out of the capstan.

sdunston

What size and kind of rope works, like the stuff baileys has
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Kevin

A good stable braid arborist bull rope works good.
The size depends on the drum but 1/2" to 5/8" is a popular size.

The larger the drum the more wraps you can get with a larger rope which creates more friction for pulling.

My little portable winch uses 1/2" and my GRCS uses up to 5/8" and 3/4" can be used but you can't get as many wraps on the drum.

bandmiller2

Just thought of it I have one 90% built.Years ago I made a screw type splitter driven from a tractor PTO through a jeep r.end at a handy hight.Splitter worked good but made me nervous that screw would grab anything.[had a kill switch] If I unbolt the screw and bolt on the cap head I'am in business ,in wormer weather of course.Frank C.

KyTreeFarmer

Frank, you are way ahead of me, too cold to even head for the junkyard. I ran across this somewhere on the internet. Cathead on both ends sounds like a good plan to me.
KTF

Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Ironwood

I am liking capstans more and more.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!