iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Woodworking Shop is Done - Photo Intensive !!!

Started by DR_Buck, January 29, 2010, 11:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Well almost.  ::)

I'm finally coming to completion on a another one of my long term never ending projects.   About a year ago I decided I needed to improve my wood shop situation.  Since I built the new detached pole barn/garage I no longer needed the attached garage.  So.......

I started with this

Open 2x4 walls, bare concrete and no insulation.

Now it looks like this from the outside...

I got rid of the overhead doors and added the new double walk-through door and window.

Inside is fully insulated, drywalled and wired.     Did I mention heated and air conditioned?

Here is most of the stuff shoved into a corner so I could epoxy the floor.

The next series of photos are various angles of how it looks as of two days ago.

Now some wide angle shots of the whole shop

This one is from the door to the house looking into the shop.

From the back wall looking toward the front.

Far end wall looking back toward the house.  Front is to the right.

Front door looking straight in.

Front corner looking across.

Back corner looking forward.

I still have lots to do but it is now at least usable.   All the tools have power and the dust collection is 99% complete.  I still need to build wall cabinets and a storage rack for my bench top tools so they don't clutter the work bench when I''m not using them.  The shelving on the wall now is temporary until I get cabinets done.  I want everything behind closed doors to keep sawdust off of stuff.   I also need to build my router base.   The top is in the flat box laying on the center workbench.  I bought the plans and video for the Norm Abrams router table.  I plan on starting it in  the next week.   I need some place to put my new Porter Cable 3 1/2 HP router that I got for Christmas.  ;D

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

jdtuttle

Have a great day

Dan_Shade

Dave, you're gonna run out of excuses for not making something before long

wood (check)
finished shop (check)
equipment (check)

I ran out of excuses a while back, I just tell folks I'm lazy!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Burlkraft

Nice work Dave  8)  8)  8)

That's a beauty. The dust collection system will make it so much easier to keep it looking that way!

I know it changed my life  :D  :D  :D

You'll spend many productive hours in there.

Congrats!  8)  8)  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pigman

That doesn't look like a woodworking shop. It looks like a new tools sales display. Put some sawdust on the floor and it will look like a working shop. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

metalspinner

That looks cozy. :)

You can spend hours in there.   8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Patty

WoW  :o  I am truly impressed! Nice shop, doesn't even begin to describe your place. Very well done indeed.  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

pineywoods

Entirely too uncluttered, not messy enuff ::) Beautiful job, I am envious.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DR_Buck

Quote from: pineywoods on January 30, 2010, 10:42:36 AM
Entirely too uncluttered, not messy enuff ::) Beautiful job, I am envious.

Give me some time and it will look 'right'.  ;)    Last night the 7 yr old grandson and I built a cedar bird feeder and I cleaned up and put things away afterwards.  :o     Not sure how long that will last.   Maybe at least until I get the wall cabinets built and the rest of my "stuff" out of boxes and onto shelves.   

I've got a long ways to go to change my  habits about putting things back where they belong and cleaning up after each job.   I did learn that there is a real advantage of being organized.  You find tools you didn't know you had.  ;D   I even found some where I have 3 or 4 of the same thing.    ::)  ::)   Now how did that happen.  ???

ljmathias

Whoa! That's absolutely gorgeous!  Now I have to have one like that... put it on my wish/to-do list so I should get to it sometime real soon, like in the next decade.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

fishpharmer

Very nice. 8)  Something of an inspiration for the "shopless", like myself. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ernie

That's very impressive, I only hope Jan wont see your post or I'm in deeeeep trouble ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

tonto

Very impressive. Dr Buck, I wish I had half your ambition, I might get something done half as nice as this. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

Don K

Thought I had posted last night but not, so very nice.    8) 8)  What are the dimensions and do you have a thread on your micro dust filtration unit hanging from the ceiling? I am anxious to build mine. I have put it off to long. :-\

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Brad_bb

Very nice, sir.  It's amazing what a nice, organized workshop does for productivity and the enjoyment of such a hobby.  Have you ever had something in a shop that you trip over constantly, or is unorganized, or some workaround you constantly run into.  Then one day you finally have had enough and fix it the right way or get it set up in an organized fashion?  Then sort of forget about what a nuisance it was until you really think about how long you tripped over it figuratively.  Getting those things done really make life better even if you don't always remember it.  One who also takes such pride in their skills also lets it spill over into not just outright project, but their workspace too.  I just finished rebuilding an engine stand that I'd been meaning to forever.  I made the legs removable, and added an extra set of casters to make it more moveable, and added storage on the neck, detailed the wheels, dresses all the welds, and had it powder coated.  It's not just car project, but my equipment too is pimped.

When I see someone's wood workshop, and they've used their skills not just on furniture or other projects, but also in their workspace, or gave a jig or other piece in the shop a little extra pimpage, you know they are hardcore.

Never miss an opportunity to streamline or improve your shop, or utilize space better for storing your stuff.  You never regret that.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Warbird

DR_Buck

Quote from: Don K on January 30, 2010, 02:37:53 PM
Thought I had posted last night but not, so very nice.    8) 8)  What are the dimensions and do you have a thread on your micro dust filtration unit hanging from the ceiling? I am anxious to build mine. I have put it off to long. :-\

Don

Don,

The shop is 24' x 23' with an 8' ceiling.   Kind of wish that when I originally built the garage I had made the ceiling 9'.     The air cleaner and dust collector are both made by JDS.   The dust collector is new.  I have a recent thread on my deliberations on which dust collector to buy and settled on the JDS.   The air cleaner is an older model JDS Air-Tech 2000.   I picked it up at an auction a couple years ago for $25.  JDS still makes it, but the new model has a 2 speed fan and I think it is remote control operated.  Mine is only single speed and I put an off/on switch on the wall.     Remote controls for the dust collector and air cleaner in my shop would be a waste of time.   If I needed to turn them on I'd have to spend more time looking for them than just walking 15 feet and flipping the switch.  ;D

Lud

Sure does look nice and tidy.  And close to the house, too!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

That there is a very nice shop Mr. I'd hate to mess it up with saw dust. ;)

Reminds me, I need to clean mine up when I get done "playing". :D

But, in all seriousness that's a nice place to spend some time in being creative or what ever the mode. ;D Don't worry about ever being done with the projects, they just keep coming. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jamesamd

That is one SWEET shop. :cool:
Only additionI can see to be added,is a fold up,out feed table for that table saw.
Excellent execution,Props to You DR
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Don K

I am encouraged by the dimensions of your shop. I had original plans for a 36X42 but decided to down size to a 20X24. I worry that it will be small but seeing your pics and with careful, thoughtful planning I will have plenty of room. I plan on 8 foot walls but will use a gambrel roof truss that will give me almost 15 feet of overhead clearance. I went shopping for window sizes today to lay out my stud walls. Trying to plan ahead to reduce the number of snags and delays I know I will encounter. Money being the biggest. :-\ :(

I plan to build a router table using Norm's plans as well. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Don,

I started with a 20 x20.  That was OK for the equipment, but not for all the other stuff like wood and projects in progress.  I added another 20 and ended up with a 20 x 40.  20 x 20 for the equipment and to work in, and the other 20 x 20 for the other stuff  :)

If you go 20' wide, it is not all that more expensive to increase the length some to get more room.  Also, if you go 10' on the walls, it makes adding sheds on either side to store lumber pretty efficient. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DR_Buck

Quote from: WDH on January 30, 2010, 10:34:45 PM
Don,

I started with a 20 x20.  That was OK for the equipment, but not for all the other stuff like wood and projects in progress.  I added another 20 and ended up with a 20 x 40.  20 x 20 for the equipment and to work in, and the other 20 x 20 for the other stuff  :)

If you go 20' wide, it is not all that more expensive to increase the length some to get more room.  Also, if you go 10' on the walls, it makes adding sheds on either side to store lumber pretty efficient. 

I have a 10 x 14 shed right outside the shop for storing hardware and some lumber.   Most lumber is stored in two insulated sea containers I have out next to the kiln.

jim king

I have been in countries where the presidential palace didn´t look that nice.

OneWithWood

Nice job, Dave.   8)

I just ordered the Wixey and now I have to dust off the shop expansion plans!

All kidding aside, you did a fine job converting the old garage for a higher purpose  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Daver

Beautiful shop... Boy I feel ashamed to call mine a shop... :-(
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

IMERC

why not put the dust collection outside of the shop in it's own lean to style shed....

there...
a new excuse....

gotta revamp the DC unit....
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

DR_Buck

Quote from: IMERC on February 06, 2010, 01:55:54 PM
why not put the dust collection outside of the shop in it's own lean to style shed....

there...
a new excuse....

Easy answer........1200 cfm of dust collector air going outside = 1200 cfm of my heat going outside.

IMERC

Quote from: DR_Buck on February 06, 2010, 10:03:46 PM
Quote from: IMERC on February 06, 2010, 01:55:54 PM

there...
a new excuse....

Easy answer........1200 cfm of dust collector air going outside = 1200 cfm of my heat going outside.

vent the filtered exaust air back inside...
quiet is a good thing...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

ladylake

Quote from: pigman on January 30, 2010, 10:06:12 AM
That doesn't look like a woodworking shop. It looks like a new tools sales display. Put some sawdust on the floor and it will look like a working shop. ;D

About 2" of dust, that cushions your feet.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Payton34

Very nice shop. :)  It is so much easier working in a shop with room and organization.  I have my other half to thank for that.  He has taught me to clean up any mess I have before I start something new and to put everything back in its place! :D
We have a dust collector and it makes a big difference.  Enjoy your new shop :)

Ole CB

Very Very Very Very Very NICE...  only I didn't see a beer fridge!! Don't get after me..  the beer only comes out after the tools are put away.. or at least down!!

DR_Buck

Quote from: Ole CB on February 18, 2010, 12:24:02 AM
Very Very Very Very Very NICE...  only I didn't see a beer fridge!! Don't get after me..  the beer only comes out after the tools are put away.. or at least down!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D   :D :D :D :D :D   :D :D :D :D :D :D

It's actually just inside the entry door going into the house from the shop.   ;D     And you are absolutely right......................"the beer only comes out after the tools are put away."     You'll never see a beer in the shop, especially when there's work to be done.  ;)

isawlogs

I think that floor is way too clotured with tools , ya got no more space in there to work , back the pick-up to those doors at the end of July , load all it can take , bring those to the piggy roast , we will help with disposal and get you some working space .  :P  ;D

Nice shop .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Don_Papenburg

My Uncle Norm did not allow anyone in his shop with sodas either.  He told me them slobs would set the cans on his table saw or shaper and leave the condesate drip on his tables then he had to clean the rust up.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Warbird

Your uncle Norm spoke words of wisdom.  I had a rust ring on my bandsaw table from that very thing. 

Thank You Sponsors!