iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any GS foresters out there?

Started by boobap, January 29, 2010, 06:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boobap

I am currently in the Navy and looking at what I want to do when I grow up (retire). That is only short years away. My wife and I want to retire in the northwest somewhere. Probably like west Montana, north Idaho or northwest Washington. I have been looking into forestry. I have always loved the mountains and evergreens as I was born and raised in northern Idaho. I was just wondering what an "average" day looks like to a forester? How much time is actually spent out in the "field"? Are there different fields of forestry? Any help here would be great. Thanks all, Todd

Texas Ranger

where to begin, there are as many different type jobs in forestry as in any profession.  Field work is usually the beginning, and some, like me, stay in the field because of the life style.  But there are any number of upper end jobs that require specific or higher education that a BS.  The more education, the higher you go in industry or the government jobs. 

Consulting is another story, you get trained by some one, state, feds, industry, then move on into your own business, and then you get to do all the jobs, including cleaning the commode.  8)

In consulting there are no average days, just days where you think your telephone is broken.  Field work followed by office work followed by equipment repair followed by follow ups followed by looking for more  work followed by cleaning the commodes.

Right now I would not advise anyone into going into forestry, we are at low ebb, and there will have to be a change in philosophy at any number of levels to bring the profession around to being a profession again. 

Not a nay sayer, but, think long and hard before you do it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

I was a GS forester for 38 years and have been a consulting forester for the past 15 years since retirement from the USFS. A good life, but it's richness is not in $$$ but in the many nonmonetary values offered by the great outdoors. The experiences may be priceless.

The forester is a "jack of all trades" in the areas of soils, air, water, wildlife, timber, recreation, forage, aesthetics, Wilderness , protection, insect & disease management, etc. A forester can specialize in any of the resource and protection areas with additional education and degree levels.

The higher up the ladder that you go, and into management, the less time you wiill have in the field, but will receive more $$$ in pay.

If you want to be a GS forester, I would look into the USFS for possible employment and further information on forestry careers. They have been hiring foresters in firefighting and it's a way to get your "foot in the door". You might also consider a stint in their smokejumpers for excellent training while going to forestry school.

Also as a US Navy Veteran you have the GI bill for your schooling and would have a veteran's preference for hiring. Check out the US Forest Service web site for further information. The northwest provides some great foresty areas to work in.

http://www.usfsstimulusgrantsjobs.us/

~Ron

petefrom bearswamp

Ron and Texas Ranger are correct in their assessmens of being a forester.
Was a consulting forester for 25 years, now retired for 3.
Very rewarding career and made a decent living at it.
Wouldn't have traded it for anything.
Have several friends who still consult, but the business is slow right now according to them.
Good luck!
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!