iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from new member

Started by wilson_tree, January 29, 2010, 01:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilson_tree

I've been lurking for a while and really enjoyed the info being shared here, so I have joined the group.  Thanks for having me.  When I was a teenager I worked for my dad cutting firewood, pulp, and saw logs. I also ran my own residential tree service for a number of years.  I have always worked with small equipment, handtools, and even a horse now and then.  I enjoy the small scale focus of alot of the threads on here and I like the small woodlot management discussions.  I am getting back into forestry again and I'm planning to start my own business.  I'm working on my photo gallery, so bear with me.  Thanks.

Chuck White

Wilson_Tree
Welcome to the Forestry Forum!
Lots of good info and good people here!

Just noticed you're from Keene, I've been through there a couple of times!  Beautiful place, Keene!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mark K

Welcome,
Loads of info here. Where is Keene?
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

thecfarm

Wilson tree,welcome to the forum.If you have trouble with the pictures of the gallery,give a holler.Someone will help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timber tramp

Welcome to the forum. What sort of business are you starting?    :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

fishpharmer

wilson_tree, welcome to Forestry Forum.  Glad to have you. We would love to hear about your new business, tons of experience here to help you out.  We look forward to the pics.  I highly recommend the java uploader (the button under upload files).  If I can use it, anyone can.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

wilson_tree,  Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  Since you've been lurking, you already know that this is a great site.  Also, welcome back into forestry..... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jdtuttle

Have a great day

Don K

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you.  8) 8)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

wilson_tree

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I did get some pics up in the gallery under Wilson's Forestry.  I hope they aren't too small to see.  Keene, NY is in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks and we are 14 miles from Lake Placid.  My business idea is to provide instruction, education, and coaching to individuals who want to harvest their own firewood.  I would come to their woodlot with a program tailored to their needs.  For example,  I could instruct them on the basics of chainsaw safety, the basics of safe felling, how to select trees for harvest, how to lay out trails, and/or how to get the wood out of the woods.  I still need to figure out how to express this easily so people get the idea.  My first client wanted to learn how everything was done and when he saw the actual work he decided to hire me to do it all.  My hope is that there are a lot of people out there interested in learning to cut their own wood and take care of their woodlot.  If you have any ideas, I would be very happy to hear them.   

breederman

That's a great place you live in! My twins are in Plattsburgh so we pass pass Keen fairly often.Welcome to the forum!
Together we got this !

Magicman

Quote from: wilson_tree on January 29, 2010, 08:06:02 PM
  I did get some pics up in the gallery under Wilson's Forestry.

You've got to do a little more work before your Gallary will be available for us to see.  Take your member number......etc.  A little more reading and a little more clicking.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnG28

Welcome wilson tree...My family has land and a camp in the adirondacks, were a little south of Old Forge, love it up there...sounds like a good idea for business, could have some lucrative ventures up there, good luck to you
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Ed_K

Welcome Wilson Tree, your description of what you do was easy to understand,shouldn't be much of a problem finding clients.I found going to business events like home building shows be some work then word of mouth sell from there. Good luck, had to look twice to were your from,Keene NH is close to us.
Ed K

wilson_tree

Thanks for the encouragement.  I think I have my gallery available now.  There are only a dozen photos so far. 

Magicman

You got it...everyone needs a Sonny.... :)

Coon

By the looks of it you tired them boys out.  Good to see the boys interested in the outdoors.  Keep up the good work.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ed_K

the felling pict looks like you've been thru the game of logging. Keep those boys in the woods working, they will be glad you did someday.I know i was.
Ed K

fishpharmer

Nice pictures.  I hope you don't mind me posting one.

This one is great 8) ;D

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

wilson_tree

I'm glad you appreciate the pictures.  My son and nephews like to go out with me sometimes and do some work.  They are earning their way up to learning to operate the chainsaw, tractor, and truck.  The two nephews live in urban areas and they like to go back to school and brag about the manly things they have done on summer vacation. 

I haven't done the Game of Logging, but I plan to.  I learned their felling technique from another tree guy doing residential tree removals.  To any one who has done the GOL 1 though 4, what did you think?

bill m

I have done the GOL 1,2,3, for the credits to keep up my timber harvesters license. Most of the things they teach you I have been already been doing for the past 21 years. I think it is great training.The instructor was very good and took the time to make sure everyone understood what they were doing. Some day I will do #4 when it is offered near here.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ed_K

My comment to anyone i see running a saw is take the GOL at least first 3 levels.Take the boys with you to. Talk to one of the instructors to see if you can get some funding on the cost to attend.
I believe that taking the course has save my life a few times all ready.
Ed K

wilson_tree

Thanks for the GOL input.  You are confirming what I thought: it is a good thing to do.  I am working for a guy right now who took the level 1 course and he said they improved his chain sharpening so much he thought hat was worth the price all by itself. 

Thank You Sponsors!