iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I do despise a Thief!

Started by Chris Burchfield, January 29, 2010, 08:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

Had a new generator in the bed of my backed in truck, in my driveway with maybe an hour run time on it, under lock and key stolen.  Forty feet from a major street I live on and 70 feet from a street light.  This is the second new one stolen. The other was a couple of years ago and I didn't have it locked in.  After purchasing this last one, I went to TSC and purchased two feet of their highest tensile strength chain they offered.  Even TSC's hydraulic cutter they use had a hard time cutting it.  Then, a Master Lock brand name recessed shackle, cut resistant lock chaining it to the Ubolt that's mounted in the rear and side of the truck bed. I've always heard a lock is just to keep an honest person honest.  If everyone was as honest as my grandmother, you could keep your money in your mailbox.  I woke up about 3:30 a.m. yesterday morning, sat in the living room and turned on the news.  About 3:40 Grand Daughter 3 1/2 yoa, woke up, came running in the Lr and said kind of whining "Gdaddy, there's a storm outside my bedroom window and it's thundering."  I hadn't heard anything, comforted and reassured her as I carried her and put her back in the bed with my wife. I went back to watching TV. About 9:a.m. I was heading out to get in my truck and saw first the tailgate was down. Then saw the generator was gone. They left the chain as I counted six pinch marks where they'd tried to cut it with bolt cutters. Then I saw what was left of the lock, laying in the grass. Took two of them to carry it off, I did not mount the wheels that came with it. I wasn't planning on taking it out of the truck unless I had to. It's pretty hard for one person to get it in or out of the bed of a 3500 Ram four wheel drive.  Ni-eve maybe, but not no more.  I called the Police to take a report.  Just peeves me off.  Really glad they left the Warren 9500ti winch that was next to it I use for loading logs. Guess they didn't have a need for it. Probably requires too much work when using it. Poot!  I would not have wanted to wound or kill them but, would like to have filled their vehicle with rifle holes as they drove off.  They would not have wanted to come back by for a visit with me, with or without a rifle. Thanks for your ear.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

IMERC

piking would be too good for them...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

tstex

Chris,

Sorry for your loss, and especially by theft.

What you need to do is buy another one, brand-spanking new with the same lock and all...then get one of those tracking devices, attach it where it is hidden...make sure you get all the serial numbers, etc.

Also, the next time your g-daughter hears a thunderstorm when there are no clouds on the radar, go get your rifle...the rest comes naturally.

Good luck,
tstex

PS - you might want to start looking around some of the on-line "hock-it" shops and see if any gens of your type come-up for sale...some of them are stupid enough to do so...always keep your sales receipt and ID your things...might not look as good, but the potential buyer will feel the same too.

Planman1954

I'm sorry about your loss. I can relate...over the years, my tools have been stolen twice. Anyway, I would keep an eye on the local classified ads, craigslist, as well as go by pawn shops in the area for a month or so...kind of discreetly. It might show up. Many things are stolen to support drug habits...its sad.  Good luck.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Chuck White

Some people just have a lot of nerve!

Three years ago, I had a Ford pickup "for sale" in my front yard.
After a short time, a friend stopped by and asked about it and wanted to take it for a spin.
To my surprise, someone "needed" the ½ tank of gas that was in it!

Really takes a lot of nerve to do some of the things people do!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WH_Conley

I feel the same way you do Chris. I don't have much stealing anymore, seems that I am known as that "Crazy SOB" down under the hill that will shoot you in a heart beat. I have done absolutely nothing to discourage the rumor.

Electric fence charger hooked to the bumper with an alligator clip works good, make sure the ground is wet. Get the one that will charge 100 miles of fence or more.
Bill

Warbird

beenthere

Motion detectors can be your friend too. For under $70, any motion in your drive can ring your doorbell. Or a motion light can turn on to "light their way".  Having a light on all night (you mentioned street light) only helps the theives see in the dark, and stay in the shadows (IMO)

Hate it that we have to defend our property this way. I like my motion detectors, as rarely does anyone show up at my door without being noticed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pineywoods

Chris, I know how you feel. Back last fall somebody stole all my solar powered driveway lights in broad daylight while I was gone to church. Motion activated lights are a pretty good deterent for night time coverage. If you're interested, I can show you how to rig up a motion activated video surveilance system for a little bit of nothing. I do the same as you with the rumors. Another one I encourage is that the little old one-armed woman who lives here is a crack shot with a pistol.  :o We live in a rural area, but we do have an ever present drug problem. Stolen stuff now seldom shows up in local pawn shops. I think the druggies are paying off the suppliers with stolen stuff, which then shows up in pawn shops many miles away...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Warbird

Can you back your truck into the driveway, so the stuff in the bed is closer to the house, harder to get to, and easier to protect?  A couple of motion lights, a couple of motion cameras, and some ammunition should get you some decent protection for pretty DanG cheap.

Not sure what your local laws are like but here in AK, we are allowed to defend ourselves and our property.  Both my wife and I know how to shoot.  ;)

Tom

He did say that his truck was backed in.   

I have had almost the identical experience, when I lived in town.  I backed my 14' fishing boat into the carport and left the truck attached to go fishing again tomorrow.  During the night the 9 1/2 horse Evinrude was taken, along with fishing equipment from the boat. The low-lifes even cut the strap that held the boat on the trailer to remove cane poles.   Now, cane poles were worth about a dollar or two each.  Why would someone cut a 3" nylon strap with a binder latch and S hooks sewn onto the ends to remove cane poles?

ely

much like mr. conley, no one steals from my place. my dad alsways says" your gonna get that stolen"   i left a 5 gal. can of gas out near my mailbox for nearly 2 weeks. no one touched it.   the only reason is the thieves i know ,also know i will come get it back.

if something near me gets stolen, more than a couple guys call to assure me they didnt do it.

all that said, i may get taken 2mrw. i hate a thief too.

tstex

"The low-lifes even cut the strap that held the boat on the trailer to remove cane poles.   Now, cane poles were worth about a dollar or two each.  Why would someone cut a 3" nylon strap with a binder latch and S hooks sewn onto the ends to remove cane poles?"

Probably because they wanted to do some cane pole fishing in their old boat with the new engine they just picked-up.

Ready, fire, fire, fire, fire, aim....fire, fire, fire, fire, ready, aim...have a cold one...911, we have a problem  :D :D

thecfarm

Backed in,someone sure did not just see that driving by.Buck shot would of smarten them up.Hind sight is 20/20.Sorry to hear about it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Oh man I can relate to this ....  >:( >:(     There wa sa time , not so long ago , that one put a fence up to keep things IN  Now , you got to be putting a fence up to keep things OUT.
I have some nice snowshoing trails here , one goes down over the train track and across the field and follows the river down about 3/4 of a mile.... snow shoeing in /on a snowshoe trail is fun , snowshoing in/on a snowmobile trail/track is not fun. Some low life decided to drive along the train track turn at my gate turn into the field and drive down ,not beside my trail, on my snowshoing trail  >:(  
 That in itself was not that bad , aint good , but I could deal with it , what got my blood boiling was when I got to the back fields I have seeded down last spring to find them criss crossed with said snowmobile tracks ....  pull_smiley dangle_smiley dangle_smiley That new seeding has fragile root system yet , I just hope they dont freeze too hard with the snow cover beeing tramped down .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Thanks for the reminder for me to get one of those driveway thingys that will alert me when anyone enters my drive.  Maybe we can all benefit from your loss...... >:( >:( >:(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ohsoloco

Quote from: beenthere on January 29, 2010, 10:57:32 AM
Motion detectors can be your friend too. For under $70, any motion in your drive can ring your doorbell.

That would drive me nuts.  Snow and smoke from the chimney often set off my motion lights  :D

beenthere

Snow and smoke don't set mine off, neither the motion light or the drive motion detectors. There are sensitivity settings on the motion detector lights that I have.

Bought my last one drive alert system from Target, but see they are back up to $79 now. Previous two were from RadioShack and after 5 years, they are still working just fine. Two on the drive and one for letting me know if the deer are passing by.  ;D

Chamberlain Reporter Wireless Alert System with Remote Sensor and Receiver is the name, in case anyone is interested to Google for other vendors. Has leads to tie into the doorbell system or to add another doorbell chime.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ARKANSAWYER

Chris I know the pain.  Some people just need shot. 
ARKANSAWYER

easymoney

a few days ago there was a report on the tv news about a fellow in nashville tennessee that had an enclosed trailer stolen. he had a camera that recorded a video tape of them cutting a chain and backing a truck up and driving off. it contained a lot of model trains the larger ones that are large enough to ride on. i heard that the trailer was recovered a couple of days later with his trains still in it. maybe the thieves got scared after their picture was on the news and realizing that the trains would be hard to sell without raising suspicion.

Qweaver

I hate them too.  And they are everywhere.  I've had several things stolen here in WV and in Texas.  The worse thing is that several of the thefts were by young out of work family members.  Drug addiction is the main cause. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

IMERC

Quote from: IMERC on January 29, 2010, 09:11:56 AM
piking would be too good for them...

the message would get out....
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Magicman

I just read about a business in Jackson where they ripped about $400 worth of copper out of commercial AC units.  Going to cost the owner $75K+ to repair.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SPIKER

Quote from: Magicman on January 29, 2010, 07:07:18 PM
I just read about a business in Jackson where they ripped about $400 worth of copper out of commercial AC units.  Going to cost the owner $75K+ to repair.

Sounds like the local HVAC contractor drumming up NEW business.  LOL

Tuesday my Niece had their place broke into, they took 3 guns, NEW 42" HDTV, new chain saw, NEW mig welder and a ton of movies DVDs Vid games the dogs didnt seem bothered so it was an inside job as one dog is rather mean to anyone she dont know...,  Big lovebug to me though ;)  took all the good stuff & left the place un-tossed...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!