iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the new orange saw??????

Started by STIHLFULLSKIP, January 28, 2010, 08:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STIHLFULLSKIP

just bought a new echo cs600p,and got what i believe to be a smokin' deal. just wondering what the general opinion is on this new model,and if anyone else is running one? i pulled the the limit caps off and gave it a little more fuel. i own both 361/362 20" stihls',and after running this saw i am confident it will run with my stihls' all day long. it seems to be a very nice saw for the money.that is why i am trying this saw out,because i'm not crazy about stihls' strato,and lets face it,362s' are way expensive for a 60cc saw. by the way i paid 475.00 out the door,w/ a 5 yr warranty.  any and all input will be appreciated,thanks all!

des170stihl

Nice choice,, The Echo,s are my 2nd choice in chainsaws. The 600 you bought should last you many many years.
STIHL MS170* STIHL MS260 Pro* STIHL MS 230* ECHO CS 341* Husky 339 XP * Wallenstein 20 Ton Splitter* Massey Ferguson 1528 w/Grapple ( Skidder Wanna Be ).

miking

Glad to hear. I own three orange echos myself and have been real pleased with their performance.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

ladylake

You did good opening the fuel up a little, way more torque and no danger of melting down, nice price for a quality saw. These, Echo saws really respond well to a muffler mod also as they are pretty choked up from the factory.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

STIHLFULLSKIP

had a chance to put some more time on this saw,the more i run it the better it gets.i am amazed at how much the fuel has to be opened up from factory settings. the performance difference is night & day.i am definately a stihl guy,but i really like this saw.

miking

I'm pretty new to Echo saws myself after years of running Stihls, particularly the 025, 250, 021, 200, 026 and 260 PRO, I find that the comparably sized Echo models easily compare to the Stihls and in some cases exceed them, all for considerably less cost to buy new. There's been considerable Echo bashing on this and other forums but I don't any of those folks ran any of the newer models.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

ford62783

from what i have seen from a few guys that are running echos arund here they run right up there with my husky and are real reliable to thinkin bout trying one myself
timberjack 240e

STIHLFULLSKIP

i know what you are saying about all the bashing. i suspect alot of those with an opinion have never even ran a new generation echo. i inherited my grandfathers 1981 452evl,and i believe it to be as good as any 031/032 of the same era.that saw has cut alot of wood,and other than some carb work/usual maint items,it has never been opened up.

MN Ripper

I had never heard of Echo's until over a year ago when a friend mixed CS-520 in with his Huskys. I wanted to up my cc's and was pretty set on getting a Stihl but him and my Stihl/Echo dealer talked me out of it.  I started looking on the web and came across this site and another.  Most have unhelpful brand bashing to say but some have good to say, one thing I noticed was the ones that spoke highly of the new Echo's had ran many other popular models to compare too, much like my woodcutting friend. That helped push me over the edge-thanks DanG, Cliff &  ladyLake! Well I bought one and used it heavily earlier last year and liked it so much I added a top handle not long after.  And I'm close to adding a CS-520 or 530 to the mix also.  My 028 is getting so temperamental in its old age and I'm tired of tinkering with and buying parts.  When I want to cut wood I like to just grab a saw, gas & bar oil and start cutting.   
Echo CS-670, CS-330T, Stihl 028 WB

miking

I highly recommend the CS530 as it is my #1 work saw. The carbs are set lean from the factory though, so either have your dealer richen it up for you or pull the caps out and do it yourself.

STIHLFULLSKIP

i am still amazed at how lean these new saws are from the factory.and how much of a difference in performance there when tuned properly. i dont see how any of these new saws live,any brand,for more than a year. i guess they make money selling you the saw,then they make money selling you parts to fix it.

customdave

Ladylake, you mentioned muffler mod to the echo saws, what exacetly does this entail I have never done one? I have a new cs520 that needs to be perked up, I think I've run 7 or 8 tanks of fuel threw so should be broke in? I like my old Echo , but this new one is a little disappointing on power so far. Would appreciate any info that I can get !

Thankyou Sir              Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

STIHLFULLSKIP

just picked up a new 24" b/c this am for the echo,i am excited to see how much power this saw has.

ladylake

Quote from: customdave on February 06, 2010, 09:06:19 AM
Ladylake, you mentioned muffler mod to the echo saws, what exacetly does this entail I have never done one? I have a new cs520 that needs to be perked up, I think I've run 7 or 8 tanks of fuel threw so should be broke in? I like my old Echo , but this new one is a little disappointing on power so far. Would appreciate any info that I can get !

Thankyou Sir              Dave

Did you pull the limiter caps and give it more fuel on the high adjuster, if not you should. These saws pull real good without a muffler mod if given the right amount of fuel and really rip with one. I'm no high tech guy here, I just drill 2 or 3   5/16 to 3/8 holes in the front, some make the orginal opening bigger but I think you have too split the muffler to get that stock pipe out. If you muffler mod it it will need even more fuel. Just open the high jet up untill your sure it has too much, then while making test cuts back in untill it cuts the fastest.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

John Mc

Quote from: ladylake on February 06, 2010, 05:11:40 PM
Quote from: customdave on February 06, 2010, 09:06:19 AM
Ladylake, you mentioned muffler mod to the echo saws, what exacetly does this entail...?

I'm no high tech guy here, I just drill 2 or 3   5/16 to 3/8 holes in the front, some make the orginal opening bigger but I think you have too split the muffler to get that stock pipe out.

And make sure you get all the shavings/filings out... you don't want any of them ending up back in the cylinder.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ladylake

Good point John, do this with the muffler off the saw.   Steve

John Mc

Quote from: ladylake on February 06, 2010, 07:31:13 PM
Good point John, do this with the muffler off the saw.   Steve

And get it sucked out good when you are done!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

customdave

Thanks Steve, I haven't done this yet but I will do this when I use next time, because it sure needs it, thanks again...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

ladylake

My last new one a little CS370 cut almost twice as fast after adjusting the carb, it was a real dog as it came.    Steve

sawguy21

Unfortunately all new saws are overly lean out of the box to meet emission standards. That is why it is so important to have a knowledgeable tech set them up properly.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

miking

Quote from: ladylake on February 07, 2010, 11:53:06 AM
My last new one a little CS370 cut almost twice as fast after adjusting the carb, it was a real dog as it came.    Steve

Ditto with my 370 Steve. It's been a toughie to get adjusted right but it probably just needs to get broken in first before it'll really shine.

tmroper

Where did you buy your saw? After reading this post it got me interested in one for 475.  I called the closes dealer and he wants 680 which is more than a stihl in same cc's.   The quote was for the 600

STIHLFULLSKIP

Quote from: tmroper on February 08, 2010, 07:30:59 PM
Where did you buy your saw? After reading this post it got me interested in one for 475.  I called the closes dealer and he wants 680 which is more than a stihl in same cc's.   The quote was for the 600
I BOUGHT IT FROM AN ONLINE DEALER,ON EBAY. YOU STILL GET THE 5 YEAR WARRANTY,ECHO IS ONE OF THE FEW THAT WILL LET YOU REGISTER THE SAW YOURSELF ONLINE. IF YOU ARE INTERRESTED ,THERE IS ANOTHER GUY THAT SELLS A LOT OF SAWS ON EBAY. HE HAS 2 OF THEM LISTED RIGHT NOW FOR 450.00 TO YOUR DOOR,THAT IS A BETTER DEAL THAN I GOT.I GOT S/N FROM HIM YESTERDAY,CHECKED THEM THIS A.M.,THEY ARE GOOD UNREGISTERED SAWS. THAT WAS THRU AN ECHO DIST. ALL YOU HAVE DO IS GET ON EBAY,AND TYPE (ECHO CS600P),THEY SHOULD COME RIGHT UP. HE IS A GOOD GUY,AND HAS 2 BRAND NEM IN THE BOX SAWS FOR SALE.  GOOD LUCK!

tmroper

thank you I will check them out

ladylake

On Ebay you need to type in Echo cs-600p, it wont come up without the dash. Good price on that saw.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!