iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perkins Shingle mill value

Started by Jeff, January 28, 2010, 03:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Does anyone have a clue how you would set a value on an old Shingle Mill for Insurance purposes?  A friend of mine in the U.P, had a fire that burned his garage and also burned up his operable shingle mill that set out back. The Insurance company told him to get a replacement value.  How the heck would you go about doing that?

This one here on this website looks close.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/luket/shinglemill/shinglemill.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Jeff,

You need to find at least 2 comparable LKQ mills and average out the value.
If that is not available then you need to find a mill that does the same thing as close to the original mill as you can.

Are you sure they are looking for replacement value as opposed to actual cash value?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Raider Bill

Your friend will do better if it's replacement value.

Jeff

When they called, they said replacement value. Problem is, you can't really replace the thing.

zopi

Quote from: Jeff on January 28, 2010, 07:23:10 PM
When they called, they said replacement value. Problem is, you can't really replace the thing.

Go with the nearest acceptable substitute...unless you can find similar mills..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Raider Bill

No you can't but they have to replace it with a newer one that does the same thing or pay him that amount. If they can't find one which seems doubtful.  ACV, actual cash value will almost always be lower than replacement.

If they find the same mill [a comp] on craigs list or where ever in BFE then that sets the ACV. because they have to replace it with a machine that does the same thing then it will be a more modern machine = more $$$

scsmith42

Jeff, what about obtaining some estimates from some of the folks over at OWWM.com?  There are several Perkins Shingle Mills listed there (as being owned - not for sale).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don_Papenburg

What got damaged? It looks to be all castiron except for a few wood parts .  Or was it an older model with a wood frame?    If He needs parts cast  I know were he can get that done.  The broken ones can be temperarly fixed and then used as patterns for new parts  or wood patterns can be made .  Figure your time to repair  the machine to new condition .  Sandblasting would be 130.oo per hour  A machine that size would be about one hour to get a mill finish . Two hours to get a white metal  .then you would want to paint it Cheaper paint would run about $40.oo gal up to and above 120.oo  /gal.Then painting  would take a good three to four hours .  Pouring babbet or replace ing bearings I am not  sure of that cost  . So figure your Time &Material  then double it  That should give you replacement cost   
New cast replacement parts can cost as much as $5.oo a pound , depends on complexity
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Raider Bill

Jeff,

As an appraiser I'm courious how this is going?
Did you find a price?

Jeff

I didn't find a price for them, and have not talked to them about it, but I will eventually. (talk to them)

Raider Bill

Just wondering. Pricing out that weird stuff interests me.
I'm working on a 1991 Grumman Olsen LLV [mail truck] right now. Finding prices / comps has been hard.

Thank You Sponsors!