iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 357xp vs stihl ms361

Started by 567paloggger, January 27, 2010, 08:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

567paloggger

what do you guys think of those 2 saws

John Mc

Both great saws. If you are looking for something in this size range, go with what fits you best, and what has the best dealer support.

361 has been discontinued, replaced with the 362. If you want a 361, grab it soon, while there are still some on the shelves.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

567paloggger

i have both saws i like both saws but i mostly grab the 361 and i have 2 brand new for backups  just would like to see peoples views on these 2 saws

DonT

I just bought a 357xp.i believe both are good saws,it came down to dealer support for me,my local husky dealer is great,my local stihl dealer is a rental place,that the staff are not really saw people.

nmurph

i have both. the 361 is about .75lbs lighter. don't believe the husky specs on this saw or the 359. the 361 and 357 are very similar power-wise. i think they handle very much the same, despite the 357's outboard clutch set-up. i much prefer the inboard clutch of the 361 for the ease of bar service. both will pull a 20" bar very nicely. i would recommend that you go with the one that offers the best dealer support.  now, if you throw a 262 into the mix, the power advantage offsets the inboard clutch advantage. it's not a huge difference, but it is noticible, especially when run back-to-back or side-by-side.

Woodhog

Out of  5 saws in this power range for the last several years my 357XP caused the most trouble. Personally I would not buy another 357 I will go with the STIHL on my next saw purchase.

Cut4fun

I have owned both at the same time. Both were no troubles what so ever. 

Things I didnt like. 357 was the  :-X chain tensioner. 361 air filter set up and cheesy plastic top handle.

Would come down to dealer support if needed. Since prices are same now.

But when the 357 was $499 new and the 361 was $589 new, I went 357.

357 56.5cc compared to 361 59cc.

Now that they are the same, for me I would be grabbing a 361 if that occasion produced it self again.

But like I said before they are in that bastard size saw for me and just sold my woods ported 357 along with the 361 long ago.  I like 49cc-50cc then jump to 70cc-81cc for my uses.

567paloggger

i really like my dolmar 5100s i just boguht today i might have a brand new 361 for sale if anyone is intersted pm me

nmurph

i would definitely get rid of the 357, not the 361. i am not sure that i understand why you bought a 5100 when you have a saw that is only a few ounces heavier but is considerably stronger. anyway, congrats and i hope your dealer tuned the saw with a tach to about 14k rpm.

567paloggger

nmmurph i own over 14 saws i cut almost every day of the week i just like buying saws and testing them out

nmurph

good enough.....you sound like me.....i tried a 5100 for several weeks. i did not like the way it felt in my hands. others love it though. i have 5 dolmar saws, just not a 5100. let us know what you think.

Thank You Sponsors!