iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw wrench?

Started by Gapine, January 27, 2010, 09:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gapine

Does anyone know where i can purchase one. It is for changing out teeth on circular saw blades.

Bobby R

We have them in #2-1/2 style, #3 style and BF style. In the BF style we have conventional and offset types. We also have the Simonds Speed Wrench in #2-1/2 and BF Style, but most people prefer the conventional type. 

Bobby
800-752-0627
www.paynesaws.com

Bro. Noble

Another source is Ozark Machinery in West Plaines , MO.  www.ozarkmachinery.com :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Sprucegum

I bought mine from Menominee Saw - right here on the left

Good people - good service

Jeff

Quote from: Sprucegum on January 27, 2010, 02:25:06 PM

And a Forestry Forum Sponsor.   :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pasbuild

Quote from: Sprucegum on January 27, 2010, 02:25:06 PM

Many years ago I had to stop in on them so they could show me how to use mine :-[
I was pretty green back then :D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Gapine

I have found one. Thanks for all the info.

sigidi

Fella's I feel a bit green too - but I gotta ask; what is a saw wrench? any pics? I went to the link mentioned earlier and couldn't see any?
Always willing to help - Allan

bandmiller2

Allen,its usally a cast iron tool to turn out the shanks and bit from an incerted tooth headsaw you fit it in the gullet and push a "U" shaped pin through the hole in the shank and twist it out of its socket.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sigidi

Thanks Band miller - any pics out there?

pitotshock

Here's a good link for you sigidi

The wrench pic

NOTE FROM ADMIN: LINKING TO OFFSITE PHOTOS IS AGAINST FORESTRY FORUM RULES
Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

pitotshock

Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

sigidi

That'd be right - I'm back a week and causing trouble :( - sorry pitotshock

If and when someone else buys one can you post a pic - I just have an inquiring mind, like knowing sutff even if it isn't relevant to me.

Sprucegum

Take a look at these  ;D  Its still shiny new, I haven't tried to use it yet.

sigidi

Sprucegum - thanks for taking the time to show the pics. Worst thing is seeing the pic makes no sense to me what it's used for ;D oh Well, guess I'm not destined to use one :D Thanks again

beenthere

The wrench is used to turn the inserts with the tooth bit into the inserted tooth circular saw blades.

I'll look for the page in Lunstrum's circular saw book on line and post the page. Here 'tis. The saw wrench has a u-shaped steel loop that fits through the holes, and allows the shank to be turned (in or out).

The pic is from the public domain circular saw publication by Stan Lunstrum,

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Wile we're on the subject,sometimes saws that have sat out in the weather don't want to release their shanks without a fight.I've found that using a round bar and a hammer the same way you would seat a shank ,will break the grip on a rusted in shank.Oh when you order a saw wrench ask for a couple of spare end clips they get bent and lost. Frank C.

Ron Wenrich

I always use Rust Reaper to change my teeth.  I spray it on the blade at lunch, then come out and have no problem.  It would work on rusted shanks as well. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

The only time I was ever cut during my sawing career on either the headsaw or the vertical edgers, was when the pin failed on the change tool.  You want to make sure that that u shaped pin stays in good condition.  The one that hurt me the worst, when I nicked the median nerve in the palm of my hand, was when a pin that was less then two weeks old failed.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2373.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chico

I was fixing to say the same thing I got sev nice little scars on the inside of my arms where it either slipped or broke  the pin while putting the bits in
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Gapine

Also helps never to loan it out! >:(

J_T

I have never had the u pin have always used a allen wrench  ??? ::) Haven't broke one yet  ???
Jim Holloway

bandmiller2

Allen wrench is a good thing to remember,in a pinch I've used a large pin punch that would just fit through the shank.A rubber mallet to tap the wrench handle helps to break loose tight shanks,injurys are caused when they break loose or the pin snaps.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!