iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil Finnish Recipe for Timber Frame?

Started by SBOhio, January 27, 2010, 09:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBOhio

Can anyone help with a oil based recipe to protect green timbers (hardwood). I have used a home brew of linseed oil, tung oil, and beeswax on some interior projects with good results, but I'm concerned about the following issues since the timbers will be stored outside (stickered with cover) until I can cut the frame.
1. Stop fading from sun?
2. Slow drying of timbers to prevent checking yet allow timber to breath?
3. Stop mildew?
4. Low VOC for use in shop during the winter, yet still allow reasonable drying ?

kfhines

Not a home brew, but take a look at some of the Land Ark products. I have used them and like it very much.

kfhines

frwinks

great looking stove kfhines 8) can't wait to fire ours next winter... them timb'rs look great, which LA product did you use?  Looks like it brought out a lot of color out of the wood....

I'm using a home brew of 50/50 raw linseed oil and turp.  Leaves the pine looking natural with very good penetration.

SBOhio

kfhines, That is good looking stove made even better by beautiful frame. Is it white pine?

SBOhio

frwinks, Did you store your timbers outside at all, with the linseed and turps on before cutting the frame? Do you feel it will help stop the sun from fading or oxidizing the timbers?

kfhines

frwinks, I used the concentrated interior finish with the Mildewcide additive.
SBOhio, you are correct that is White Pine and a lot of it.
Thanks for the compliments.
kfhines

frwinks

thanks, I might try some of it on the braces... might be a nice contrast against the natural/pale pine.
More pics are always welcome ;) :D

SB, the timbers were stored outside stickered and under steel...some of them close to a year outside ::)... I let them breath, cover the ends with Anchorseal to slow down the end drying, and let'em go silver'ish.
Once each pc is cut I hand plane it and apply the mixture, then store them in the barn...

SBOhio

Doesn't planing after your joinery throw of any reference points? What type of hand plane do you use?

kfhines

SBOhio, Yes planing your timbers after you cut the joinery will throw you off. I hand planed all the timbers before cutting any joints.
  frwinks, There are more pictures in my gallery but I really need to get some more updated photos in there.

kfhines

Thank You Sponsors!