iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

craigs list

Started by woodmills1, January 26, 2010, 06:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

anyone use craigs list to sell products?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

scsmith42

Yup.  It's hit and miss - most craigslist customers seem to be looking for a "deal", but not all.  You have to re-post your ad every few weeks to keep it active.

It seems like a lot of folks in the farming industry know someone with a sawmill, but craigslist is a great way to reach new customers that are not necessarily a part of the farming group.

Can't beat the price, either.

There are spammers who may try to contact you via your ad (even if you use the secure option via craigslist).  I use a separate e-mail address for my craigslist postings so my main e-mail address is kept secure.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

What he said. ;)

The price is right...I'll never buy an ad in the newspaper again.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mainiac

To help protect yourself, be sure to do face-face business when buying or selling off of craigslist. A lot of con artist on there.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Dodgy Loner

I sell firewood on it. Works great. I've also bought a washer and dryer there. You can really get some great deals on used appliances on Craigslist.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

easymoney

i check craigslist every day for things that i am interested in. i sold an old ditch witch on there last year. you know you have priced something too cheap if within an hour of posting an ad your yard is full of buyers. i have used ebay for most of my buying and selling. i had a couple to drive 12 hours to pick up a sawmill edger a couple of years ago. they was tickled to get it.

nas

In our area everyone uses Kijiji.  I find it much easier to use than Craigslist. JMHO

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Onthesauk

Check it almost every day.  Have bought and sold stuff there for 5 or 6 years now.  Picked up a tiller for my tractor a couple of weeks ago at what I thought was a pretty decent price.  I know there are a lot of scams that go on there but I've never had a problem.  As their directions read, cash and face to face.

Business ads are harder.  A lot of the old timers are very protective of the site.  Businesses are suppose to advertise in the "Services" catagory but gets less traffic then the general areas.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

woodmills1

I have been putting ads for firewood on craigslist.  I post on new hampsire and no problem, I post in mass, I live 4 miles from the boarder, and I get flagged and removed.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Captain

Just sold a car on Craigslist Saturday in less than 14 hours.

DWM II

I got these on craigslist, all from the same guy in Austin. got them all for the price of a good used chain mortiser.

Its a good tool for buyers and sellers.
Stewardship Counts!

Ron Wenrich

I just saw a guy that was advertising for standing timber.  Wanted to know the acreage and the last time logged.  Serious inquiries only. 

I bet you'll get a good deal.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ErikC

That's what I check after I look at the FF almost every day. I bought a few things that way, and got pretty good deals. For instance a kohler k582 23 hp motor in great condition for $300. I have sold various items as well, but to be honest the Nickel want ads work better for me when selling something.  Just pays to be a little careful, like you ought to when buying or selling anything.  I use a seperate email for them as well if posting ads. The same one I use for businesses that might try spamming me. When I start getting to many like that I scrap it and get a new one. Don't really have to notify anyone this way.
I think it is seeing more and more use, so in the future it may end up being the way to go for local ads. 
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Frickman

I like craigs list. I've bought and sold alot of stuff on it too. I even found my donkey on it.

Ron,

There are a couple of outfits posting those timber ads on the Pittsburgh craigs list everyday. I'll flag them as duplicate ads but they seem to keep coming back. There is even a consulting forester who posts there. I don't know if these ads work, but they are the right price.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

WDH

Craigslist is great.  I sell a good bit of hardwood lumber there.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodmills1

got my first two firewood customers there, but bothers me to get flagged and unlisted.  Ya think its the we don't like business thinks here so go to service.  Or is it my adress is NH and I post ina Mass.

Brad_bb

I've used Craigslist to buy and sell successfully for the last 2 years.  Usually stuff too big to ship.  I've been contacted by Nigerian scammers twice only recently.  You have to learn how to spot the emails.  Usually the wording, missing words, wrong word usage etc, or an offer that is too good to be true, an offer without even seeing the item, offering to take care of shipping for the item even though you know the shipping is more than the item is worth, their wanting to pay by western union MO or any other form of payment other than cash.  CASH ONLY!  All in all pretty successful if you are savvy.

Bought:
Dishwasher -$100
2 scaffold sets -$100
4 post car lift -$1500
2 Makita brush sanders- $350
Medium duty 8' shelf racking - $40ea
Clothes dryer - $100
Wheel barrow-$25

Sold:
Barn Stall door and wall - $100
Stainless dishwasher- $800
Bar sized dishwasher- $60
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

scsmith42

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 26, 2010, 10:44:54 PM
got my first two firewood customers there, but bothers me to get flagged and unlisted.  Ya think its the we don't like business thinks here so go to service.  Or is it my adress is NH and I post ina Mass.

Woodmills, sometimes the flagging comes from your competition... you might want to contact Craigslist directly and see if you can find out why you're getting flagged.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pigman

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 27, 2010, 02:07:00 AM

Bought:
Dishwasher -$100

Sold:
Stainless dishwasher- $800
If that is the same dishwasher you are doing great. 8) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 26, 2010, 10:44:54 PM

I sell most of my firewood on the Greenville, SC Craigslist and I've never had a problem with getting flagged. In fact, I just dropped off a load in SC last night. There is no policy against listing an item in a different state than where you live, but Craigslist does have a policy against listing the same item in multiple cities. It seems that for something like firewood, where you have many multiples of the same thing, that rule shouldn't apply. I would check with Craigslist to see if you are actually violating a policy or if it is just your competition that is violating the rules!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

I posted different species of hardwood for sale in different cities, and I got flagged.  I guess the ads were too "similar". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jtmccallum

I bought my sawmill on Craig's list.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Brad_S.

Someone here posted a link to Search Tempest a while ago. What a great asset that has turned out to be for a Craigslist junkie like me! You can search all editions of the list within a selected distance.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

gunman63

also try       allofcraigs   i use to use tempsest  but like this one better, u can also search distance  and when it was posted

Thank You Sponsors!