iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did a little black locust sawing, pictures

Started by Dana, January 25, 2010, 09:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

The weather was above freezing today, so I fired up the mill.  I made 3" thick live slabs out of the log. Anyone care to guess what species of hardwood this is? Sorry the picture is so blurry.

Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

sigidi

Dana over here it looks a bit like ironbark - dunno if you guys have 'em over there?
Always willing to help - Allan

jimparamedic

looks like locust. If it is make some nice wood. good for high wear areas

islandlogger

I agree with the above, Honey Locust...???

Islandlogger

Dana

It is black locust, and isn't native to our area.  This one came out of someones yard in town.

sigidi

Isn't timber strange? from the look of that and my experience here in Oz the grain looks heaps like a slash pine - although you guys said Locust is hard right? are all locust hard?

Dana

Sigidi, The wood is very hard and has some wild grain that alternates between very tight to relatively far apart...all in the same log/board.
Sawing one of the slabs I could actually hear a popping noise as I cut and feel a slight movement in the log. I believe that was the stress being relieved from the log. Some info I Googled said that they used Black locust for ships mast in days past. Also that a cord of locust is equal in B.T.U.'s to a ton of coal.

sigidi

Wow, so even though the grain looks to be fairly wide in places (I'd assume that would mean less dense than a tight grained timber) it must be pretty dense to have that much stored energy in it!! :o

Dan_Shade

I'll vouch for it being hard.

the most miserably hard woods in the US that I've encountered are black locust, pecan, hickory, and white oak
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dana

I wonder how it will plane after it is dry? Lots of tear out? I am thinking of making a coffee table and maybe a bench from a couple of the slabs.

Dave Shepard

I've hand planed it, and it planes fairly well, but not smooth. Is it ring porous? It seems like you are left with little voids, almost like there are little tubes being opened up. It's harder than any of the white oak I've sawn. When I first started working where I do know, I had to resaw a 12x12 beam that had been sitting on the gravel for something like 12 years. The mill cut it well, but it took all 51 horsepower. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Yes, ring porous and the pores are filled with tyloses like white oak.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 26, 2010, 07:50:30 PM
the most miserably hard woods in the US that I've encountered are black locust, pecan, hickory, and white oak

Gotta add Beech to that list, as I found out last Friday.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AndyC

Locust in Ohio is mostly used for fence posts cause its so hard.  Those beech MagicMan mentioned are terrible here because they rot out really quick - coons love em.  I have 5 to take down before the ground thaws and am dreading it - because they are dangerous and about 20 feet from my shed.  I'll send some pictures before and after but one of them I can see clean through it's so rotten.  I may just pull that one down with the truck and fell the rest that are solid. 

Ron Wenrich

Frozen beech has always given me the most problems.  Locust isn't so bad.  I cut them into 4x4 for fence posts.  I put my vertical edger at 4" and cut 2 or 3 posts on a pass, depending on the size of log.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dana

MM I haven't sawn any beech yet. I have one that blew down and is only reachable by snowmobile. I'm going to square it up on the mill for an anvil base. I thought it would cut like butter, thanks for the heads up.

Winter returned here with high winds and cold temps. Next week is going to warm into the mid to high twenties. Maybe I will get the log then.

sigidi

Man that is weird - mid twenties!!!

Yesterday under our front verandah (in the shade) it was 38 deg c or just a tad over 100F!!! :o

Magicman

Dana, I'd saw it up.  It's hard, but certainly not unsawable.  The lumber resembled cherry....really nice.

If you make an anvil stand, you'll have to protect it from rot if it's going to be in contact with the ground.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!