iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging climate in western CO ?

Started by 240b, January 25, 2010, 10:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

240b

Anyone know what the forest industry is like in sw Colorado. Saw alot of bettle kill all over the western slope during last mud seasons ,road trip. Wife would like to move back to the Colorado plateau. My research doesn't come up with much.  saw some pretty interesting operations along the way though.

Bobus2003

I don't know about SW Colorado.. But I know that Up in the Walden/SteamBoat Springs area they have built a Multi-Million dollar Wood Pellet Facility as a way to deal with the Harvested Bug wood

Rocky_Ranger

The latest flight information shows 2.9 million acres of dead lodgepole in Colorado, I know of a green patch about 120 acres left standing, if that helps.....  Forest industry, with the exception of pellet mills, is all but dead in Colorado.  Lots of potential for posts and poles, houslogs, etc., but just how many does a person need?  SW Colorado has more of a mixed conifer species forest so there is potential, just hard to realize.......
RETIRED!

spencerhenry

i am in western colorado. i have done some cutting in the grand lake area a couple of years ago, last year down near gunnison, this year near glenwood springs. right now i have 2 skidders sitting, one since june. there is NO market for the wood to speak of. it is so cheap that i dont even cut my own, i bought five loads this year to mill, for what i can get it delivered for i couldnt cut it and truck it. last full semi load cost me $900 delivered. while that may seem not bad to some people, that is a self loading truck 30 minutes off the highway. they make trucking plus maybe two or three hundred bucks.

J_T

I 'v seen those hills i wouldn't drive up and down them for all the tea in China   ;D
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!