iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

House or Igloo?? You decide...

Started by Coon, January 24, 2010, 11:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Well, after all the complaining of no snow, by the many people in these parts..... we've been getting snow steadily since friday night.   The temps haven't been too cold which is a bonus....   

Was out shoveling snow yesterday and thought I had better get a pic.....

I try to keep the house banked with snow to help out the heating bill...... besides I have to do something with the snow.  The wifes flower beds love the moisture too.

I was in for a surprise today when I went out to shovel...... The wind had started blowing and still is.  Still snowing too. :)  I had watched the local weather forcast just before I went out to shovel so I figured the house could use a bit more banking.  Temps are supposed to start dropping again tomorrow.  ;)

So now it's up to you all to decide whether I live in a house or an igloo... :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coon

It's still snowing outside yet too  :D

ibseeker

Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

SwampDonkey

Raining here, and suppose to rain real hard sometime.  ::) Kinda freezing at ground level and wet stuff above, some hitting the windows as rain.

As they say, be careful what you wish for. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Two questions;

Is that about a 2' drop for a first step out your front door or is there something I'm not seeing?

Did you run over your shovel handle?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Window in the storm door I think Bib. ;)

As to the shovel, its the new ergonomic look for those with bad backs. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

breederman

those crookedy handeld snow shovels are great. :)
Together we got this !

downeast

Couldn't ask for worse here: it's in the mid-30's F, SW winds, rain on top of 14" of snow. Heavy rain  >:( with gale winds forecast. Hey, it is suppossed to be WINTER = snow.
That ends the run of harvesting for awhile  :(. Hard ground with snow makes it easier to do the woods work here. All the skid trails were well packed, the snow just enough to soften felling, the depth just enough to avoid kissing the ground with the saws.
Ah yes, climate change. :-\

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Augh, that's just a little bit of snow. This winter we have been spared so far of having to much, but I think we were pretty close to being a snow cave last year.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

You win Jeff, and I see that you had been shoveling your roof.... ;D

Is that your pup in the first picture?  Probably looking for a tree.... ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Coon just got a dusting compared to Jeff.  :D  Wait until Bibbyman sees Jeff's pictures. He'll have more than 2 questions.  :D   :D    :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

When I was stationed in South Dakota, we used to wake up to a burried house once in a while during the long winters!

Some of us even went so far as to convert all doors to open inward. 
In that configuration, we could still open the door and dig our way out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

A good many winters on the Gaspe in Quebec the snow is so deep they shovel tunnels and cross plank the tunnels or paths to the houses.

fishpharmer

Those are nicest igloos I have ever seen.  Man that's a lot of snow :o
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Faron

That much snow would just drive me nuts!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

jim king

I assume it ruined the ice fishing but it sure is pretty.

Coon

It quit snowing here now and the temps are dropping.  ::)  We ended up with just over 2 feet of snow in this dumping.  Winds just made things worse by piling it up in large drifts all over the place. 

As far as the shovel goes Donk is spot on.  I bought it because of my bad back and I think it's one of the greatest things since sliced bread as far as shoveling goes.  I still have my trusty old "Goon Spoon" (#7 steel scoop shovel) if'n I need it but I try to keep it in retirement mode as much as possible.

Yeah Jeff I think you beat me this time... :D  We don't have alot of snow by any means YET.  Have seen many winters that were alot worse than this.  I'm sure there will be more to come.

With having a "cottage style" roof I have to worry about snow load.  I will be climbing up there soon to shovel it off.  The snow has probably covered up the vents so yay.... I get to be a igloo climber.  ;)  :D   

jim king,  the ice fishing has not been ruined by any means.... the snow just made it harder access is all.  The trout pond where I go I walk into and on because it has has an aeration system which causes thin ice and open water near where the system is.  The further away you go from the system the better the ice.  I could take a snowmobile out there if I wanted but it seems to spook the fish.

Will try to remember to take some pics when I go out...... just kinda avoiding the fact that I gotta get off my butt and go out in the cold.   :D 

Brad.

beenthere

Jeff is chuckling right now, as he knows what is under that snow around his house.  ;D ;D
Looks are deceiving, but still that is a lot of snow.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jim king

If you could take some photos of ice fishing I would really appreaciate it.

You cannot imagine what it is like trying to explain ice fishing to people who have never touched ice.   

Driveing on a lake ??  They are sure a person is nuts when he says that.

Jeff

Jim, you should know by now that EVERYTHING is on this forum. ;)

Here is a good post by CHARLIE on ice fishing including photos.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,22813.msg346187.html#msg346187
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

That story and pics of Charlie ice fishing is what I thought it was, but then there was Tom's version too.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Quote from: Jeff on January 25, 2010, 08:45:51 AM
Augh, that's just a little bit of snow. This winter we have been spared so far of having to much, but I think we were pretty close to being a snow cave last year.

I suspect all that snow makes for good insulation and wind break.  When we get 4" of snow on the roof we can tell the difference in the warmth of the house.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Some people just like to blat Bib. ;)

Coon

You're not that far ahead of us now, Jeff.   :D  :D

Yeah bib, it definately helps with the warmth of the house.... and as far as those piles along the driveway go... they don't always help with wind break.  Sometimes if the wind is in a certain direction is will cause you alot of grief as it funnels in snow...

The combination of the wind and snow can cause some really interesting creations....

I will definately take some pics and maybe even some video footage the next time I go fishing. 

Brad.

Chris Burchfield

Igloo, it's cause of the Global Warming for sure.  :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Coon

That's what my back is tryin' to tell me too Global Warming eh?   :D  :D

Thank You Sponsors!