iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln - Roof?

Started by tyb525, January 24, 2010, 08:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Hello all, I've been gathering materials to build a solar kiln. It's 13x5, and should hold around 1000 bdft.

I have everything I need except for the roofing. I can't decide if I want to go with corrugated clear panels, or with some sort of black-painted covering?

I have heard of solar kilns using a black roof instead of clear, but do they work as well? It seems that they would be cheaper than getting the clear roof panels.

Thanks!
Ty
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dan_Shade

I built a solar kiln with a friend of mine a few years ago, when we first did it, we used the clear plastic panels from lowes, but they turned black, and got very brittle after a few years.  After that, he bought plastic greenhouse panels (not cheap), but they work very well. 

If your budget can support it, get the greenhouse panels.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pineywoods

re--black metal or clear roof...If you want that kiln to really work right, do both. Put the clear plastic on top of the rafters and black metal on the bottom of the rafters. It will get much hotter and hold the heat in better. You still one or more fans to blow the hot air through the stack of lumber. Then if you really, really want it to do a first class job, buy a small room de-humidifier and put that inside. I've built 2 like that, dry oak dry enough to make tongue and groove flooring, dry cypress down to under 10 %.. There's some posts on here with pics...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tyb525

I have the fans, just wasn't sure about the roof :) Thanks! I plan to go with the clear over black setup. I'll post pictures once I get started!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Radar67

Ty, check my gallery out. I have pictures of the kilns Pineywoods is talking about. They are in the folder labeled "Pineywoods". You can click on one to find the posts about it and read up on how he built them.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Thank You Sponsors!