iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log hauling

Started by eddie, January 24, 2010, 12:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie

hi folks, im new and would like to ask some advice. i have 20 acres in nw ark that im wanting to clear. plan to do it myself and would like to transport the logs anout 50 miles to a sawmill. thats where i need some expert advice. dont know what would be the better option; buying a gooseneck trailer and pulling it with my 3/4 ton chevy or buying an older flat bed truck. found an older 2 1/2 ton truck locally thats pretty cheap but dont know if thats big enough. thanks for the help.

DR_Buck

It's not just hauling.  You need to consider loading and unloading, vehicle maintenance, insurance and a CDL.  With the distances involved, it may be more economical to contract the hauling.  Cut and stack until you have a few loads then have them moved.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ironwood

For me one big factor would be type of road, ie highway? DOT, scales? or county roads?. County roads would be in the realm of DIY if you could figure out the loading issue (likely the mill has an "unloader").

Any other uses for any equipment you buy?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

eddie

mostly state highway but plenty of loggers use it. no scales between my place and the mill. ive got an old truck i can pull the logs with. plan to load with a boom and hoist.

Kevin

Another solution would be to hire a mill and mill the logs on site.

J_T

Well off twenty acres you could have enough lumber to build a house for everyone in the county or a outhouse  ??? I don't have c d l's i'm a farmer  ::)

I got a Volvo diesel i like real well like those air brakes too
Jim Holloway

Don K

Welcome to the forum, eddie.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Rocky_Ranger

A gooseneck trailer is handier than pockets on a shirt.  I'd sure rather pull a trailer than load on a 2 1/2 ton truck - unless the truck is a dump bed.  Still yet, license for a trailer is waaaayyy less than for a truck in this state (AR).
RETIRED!

Mark K

I haul my logs on a gooseneck and tow it with a 3/4 ton dodge cummins, trailer is tandem axle with daul wheels. I haul my skidder and tractors as well as logs. I drop bunks in the pockets, hauls a pretty good load but I imagine if I ever got pulled over they would nail me for out of class. If I have alot of wood coming off a job I usually hire a local trucker.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Magicman

eddie,  Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  Good luck with your business venture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

poor farmer/logger

I would go with a goose kneck. We run both semi and 3/4 ton depending on what the roads are like. If the bush roads are open good we'll take the 3/4 ton in and haul with it till it gets packed down. If roads are good and I'm done with the bush work we'll haul with both.

Ryan

stonebroke

That's quite a load for that poor 3/4 ton, you might want to upgrade to a one ton dualie.

Stonebroke

Ironwood

Naw, he needs ten more feet on that trailer and another set of bunks.  ;D Here in Pa. we use a few more straps though ;) Keeps the red lights from coming on behind you. Perhaps the Mounties horses cant catch up to you, or it's fairly remote.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Shetland Sheepdog

Quote from: poor farmer/logger on January 24, 2010, 08:20:50 PM
I would go with a goose kneck. We run both semi and 3/4 ton depending on what the roads are like. If the bush roads are open good we'll take the 3/4 ton in and haul with it till it gets packed down. If roads are good and I'm done with the bush work we'll haul with both.

Ryan

Ryan, yer scarin' me!! A load like that, down here, would be on a tri axle, or at least a twin screw! Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, that's only a 7 ton trailer! How many feet ya figure ya got on there anyway? My trailer is very similar! I'd post a picture, but I haven't figured out pictures on this forum yet!
Good talkin with ya, Dave
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Shetland Sheepdog on January 24, 2010, 09:22:03 PM
Quote from: poor farmer/logger on January 24, 2010, 08:20:50 PM

Ryan

Ryan, yer scarin' me!! A load like that, down here, would be on a tri axle, or at least a twin screw! Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, that's only a 7 ton trailer! How many feet ya figure ya got on there anyway? My trailer is very similar! I'd post a picture, but I haven't figured out pictures on this forum yet!
Good talkin with ya, Dave

Tires on the trailer look like they're riding on the sidewalls.  :o
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

barbender

Looks like 6 cords to me, I figure I can haul 2 1/2 on my 14K gooseneck. Most wood around here, that would be around 11,000 pounds. I think you have way more weight than that- even if that wood is fairly dry.
Too many irons in the fire

CLL

I had a 14k trailer and hauled 5 1/2 cord of cedar, way to hard on trucks and scary when you see DOT car.
Too much work-not enough pay.

poor farmer/logger

Bout 5 cords on there. maybe 5' high 8' wide and just over 16' long.

Last load of the season for that one so she was pilled on there pretty good. Usually haul 4-4.5 cords on the trailer. It handles it quite well.

Bit overweight but not to bad.lol..

Trailer is rated for 14,000 lbs but trailer weights roughly 4,000. Nice load for it is 10,000 lbs but it'll take quite a bit more. We're just on country roads and take things nice and slow.

Ryan

Coon

Awe heck, ya still had more room on there.  :D  Hope you weren't hauling on the highways with that load.... the pavement is murder on tires when loaded like that. 

I need a truck and trailer just like that one.  I can get considerably more for the lumber in this area (Wynyard) than what I can around Kelvington. 

Brad.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ford_man

I think you got more like 20000 lbs on that trailer if you got 5 cord on

Bobus2003

I use a 32' GN trailer to haul my Skidder, Dozer.. and wood if i don't have enough to justify a semi.. i used to load up and hual loads like the above posted on my '99 F250.. i since got a '06 F350 and the differnce is i just try to haul more.. most i ever grossed out at was 44K lbs

bill m

Looking at these pictures and reading some of the posts on this thread it does not look like anyone is legal or safe. I know being a logger we have to do what we can to make a buck but what happens when someone gets killed because your so overloaded or not tied down properly?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

woodmills1

Lotsa load in those pictures.............my understanding is top log should be less than 1/2 over side supports. :o :o  but I only need to keep my CDL :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

timberfaller390

I haul with this truck.

It is in hay hauling mode in the pic. I have a set of log bunks I made I'll try to get a few pics.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Shetland Sheepdog

PF/L,
Check out pictures on RPF-Coffeeshop!
Is your trailer a 20 footer?
Dave
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

Thank You Sponsors!