iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MAJOR pucker factor....

Started by IMERC, January 22, 2010, 08:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Ianab

It's called a Drag saw, was the best thing before sliced bread and chainsaws.

Actually pretty safe, as long as you dont leave any valuable body parts underneath it.

I think Jeff actually has a working one similar to that one?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

nas

Here is one I saw at an auction last year run with an old hit and miss engine

My neighbour  just bought one and is looking for an engine for it.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

IMERC

OOPS...
that was the wrong...
had several and there was one that really stood out as the pucker factor...

be right back as oon as I can find it....

IMERC

breederman

Lots of memories there I can still hear that zing,zzzing zzzzing, A three point buzz saw is {was} real handy if you had a couple boys to throw the wood in the trailer. Dad did. ;D
Together we got this !

IMERC

Tom Sawyer

But then you have to walk so DanG far picking up the firewood :o

isawlogs

I dont think that truck was going away fast enough ..  :D   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Ahh, the good ol days.  ;D ;D ;D

Prolly a few that would say ya can't do that anymore.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Dragsaws buzz rigs and black powder splitting.  Pucker factor? You must not get out much. Then again I suppose a broom and dust pan could be seen as a major pucker factor to someone that only has seen a vacuum cleaner.

The first dragsaw is a later model Ottawa with a Wisconsin engine. The pitman and rails look to be replacements.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,8422.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brucer

My father-in-law had one of those buzz saws. Did all his firewood on it for years. This was a standalone unit that you connected to the tractor with a long flat belt. It'd take forever to get the thing lined up so it wouldn't throw the belt.

That thing scared the heck out of me.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

beenthere

Good to be scared of those buzz saws.  :)  I've worked on them and around them, and some of the guys I watched work them scared the heck out of me.

Not something to get complacent or hurried while operating them. One of the scariest times was when there was ice under the sawdust, and very slippery. As well, the wood was snow and ice-covered. Too much chance of not having good footing for safe operation.

I like to hear the zing zing zing of a good sharp saw blade tho.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

When my grandfather and his brother worked one of those circular saws in the field, clearing out a fallow piece of land. My uncle said he and the rest of the kids at the time were not allowed near it. I don't know what they used for power, but I believe it was an old Jeep grandfather had. Would have been in the 50's. I remember the old iron sitting in the field used for pasture, which had become power line in the 50's when the Tobique hydro generating station was put in. My uncle grazed cattle there up until 12 years ago. My uncle said the power commission at the time told everyone the wood had to remain on the ground. My grandfather said he was having his wood, it was his land and the only thing agreed to was right of way. I suppose the sale of the wood was to help pay for the construction of the power line.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

IMERC

Quote from: Jeff on January 22, 2010, 11:07:28 PM

You must not get out much.

me.... I'm just a recluse....
Vacuum cleaner is some pretty advanced stuff BTW... for me any ways....

can I try this one more time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbbJyJSHR4&feature=related

breederman

Together we got this !

woodmills1

O man that last one is just wrong and the thing seems to be totally dull
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

IMERC

beenthere

You guys are too young.  :)    - - just gotta keep your thumbs outta the way.

These saws were a step up from bucking up that wood with a sawbuck and a buck saw....by hand.
No chainsaws and a lot of wood to make.  We've come a long way.

Scary?  no different than operating a table saw.

and...I don't see it any more scary than driving 60 mph down a highway just inches from another car coming the same speed from the other direction.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

Chuck White

We used to have a "buzz-saw" just like that one and we ran it on the 8N Ford, except we didn't have a guard over the blade!
We really had to watch our back whenever the rig was raised up for transport!
The rig was really handy when we were cutting up limb-wood and small trees like Gray-Birch & Iron Wood!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!