iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help identifying an old machine

Started by Jeff, October 03, 2003, 07:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Does anybody have a clue to who may have made this?  I want to restore it but need to find more info on it.

Click the small image for a larger one.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Jeff
I remember my Uncle having one of these, that my father got ahold of for us kids to use in the big garden (50's). Seems to me the name "Eagle" went along with it. My father and Uncle are both 90 now, and not in good health or mental health. However, I will see my Dad on Sunday and will ask him about it.

I do remember bolting on the two halves of the steel 'tread' to get more traction. Otherwise, when the sickle bar was used, the 'tread' was removed and just the smooth wheel propelled the 'beast'. I suspect it was mfg'd in the 40's. It was 'fun' to pull the cord to start it, flip the choke off, grab the handles quick, and start balancing the thing on one drive wheel. There were depth wheels on the cultivator arrangement. And the color was blue, a bit like the color of the craftsman power tools in that era. Possibly this was a Sears Robuck product.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Hey Beenthere, did you happen to remember to mention this to your Dad?

Jeff

I got this reply off of Harry's old engine site so I now know what it is but thats all...

--------
That is a "Unitractor" made by Unitractor Company, Indianapolis, IN. It's powered by a 1.5 hp Briggs & Stratton "N". I got this info out of The book "Vintage Garden Tractors" 2nd Edition by Dave Bass. But this is all of the info thats in the book on this tractor. Harry might have this book for sale in the book section. You might try to go to http://www.oldengine.org/members/harrold/ This link is also in Harry's link list under "Tractor and Engine Links by Aubrey and Christine Harrold". Look for the gardentractors link. Then look for "Vintage garden Tractor Club of America" Good luck and have fun. P.S. parts for this engine are very easy to find look under Harry's suppliers list.

Jeff

beenthere, your memory is good. I took the handlebars off and there is just a itty bitty blotch of dark blue.

Paul_H

You've been bitten by the old engine bug.It looks like it could be a lot of fun,and a chance to try out some more rust reaper.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

Jeff
When I asked my father, he didn't remember any more about this machine. In fact, he had forgotten we had it. I think he got it to keep me (a 10 year old) busy and out of trouble. :D But the 'Unitractor' name does sound correct. I vaguely remember seeing the manual for this machine, and will make an attempt to see if my Uncle (now 91) remembers anything more about it. I remember there was a front mounted sickle bar (jiggle bar) for it. Something similar to the Jerry machine.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Got another email from a fellow on the SMOKSTAK Steam and Gas Engine Bulletin Board

Re: Help in Identifying this machine

Jeff,
  The Uni. is painted a dark blue.  Only the clutch mounting bracket and the large solid pulley are yellow.  The engine is the original B&S black.
  The cleats on yours have been enstalled backwards.  That direction will pick up dirt and drop in on the engine.
   I now have mine dissambled and finished sand blasting today.  The brochure is not in color, but the colors were what I found.
  Would you please reply to my email address and give me the dimensions of the front mounting bracket for attachments?  I need to know the size of the bar stock and how long it is from mounting holes to the front.
  Fred

Kevin

QuoteThe cleats on yours have been enstalled backwards.  That direction will pick up dirt and drop in on the engine.  

Now I'm pretty sure nobody here did that, eh?  :D

Jeff

Nope, somebody of higher Nobility must have done it.

BTW here is a link to that old engine board. Most of you probably know it. Off of Harrys old engine site.
http://www.enginads.com/smokstak.cgi

Kevin

Surely, you don't mean the GREAT PUNKIN?

Bro. Noble

IGNORING
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kevin

Hang in there Noble, October is almost over.   :D

Bro. Noble

Kevin,

The 'Big Guy'  sent me a message thratening me with what he is going to do next.  I told him I'm really beginning to like this punkin :D

I think those treads are installed correctly for traction.  I think they used that to skid logs before they invented mules ::)

Jeff

Here is a link to Fred's webpage.
http://www.mindspring.com/~fred_brown/

He collects and restores old "one wheelers"  He is going to send me a copy of the sales brochure for the unitractor. ;D

I am guessing he says it is on wrong because of a picture on the brochure or from the one he has.  Thinking about it, I'll bet he is right. Those lugs should get plenty of traction angled back, but angled forward they would turn into shovels, carrying dirt up and over the wheel.

Jeff

Thinking even more, instead of it digging in, it would push foward. I think Fred is right Noble. But maybe they were installed either way depending on what you were doing?

Bro. Noble

Hey Jeff,

Whats the deal?-------you gotta make two posts telling me I'm wrong :-/   Whadda ya think---I'm some kinda punkinhead or something >:(--------------------------------- ;)

Jeff

Jeff

chet

Were you able to locate an owners manual too?  
2 cents per hour of operation, bet you can't do that now.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Its just a sales brochure but it tells me a lot more then I knew.

Jeff

My Uni is coming along. I have many of the parts sand blasted and painted. I took a paint chip I found to town and the best match for the color was Ford Engine Blue.

The main wheel looks like its rough in the picture, but its not. It cleaned up pretty smooth. The area that looks corroded idsnot, its the rubber part thats bonded to the wheel that is between it and the lugged rim that bolts on.

Tom

Lookin' good !

Now if you can just remember where everything goes. :D

Jeff

Jeff

couple more pictures of da resurrection.

Thank You Sponsors!